I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 24 June 2012

Colours of the Rainbow Part 2




A quick recap - here's my mini album using Prima Fairy Belle and Paper Cellar Victorian Classic.  We're going to take a quick flick through the album page spreads.  If you want to see the cover embellishments in detail, have a look here.


With all these On the Edges lined up, I've entered this in the Allsorts Challenge "Any Die Will Do" this week.





In some cases, I've allowed the papers to pretty much speak for themselves - they're so lovely - with just a little inking/distressing to bring the edging into focus.   The Tim Holtz On the Edge dies offer lovely, decorative definition to the pages.  This one to the left is one of the two edges in the Brackets die.





Here you get to see both halves of the Scallops die, with the perforated one on the left page.  When they lie one on top of the other, the scallops are designed to line up perfectly, with the holes adding an extra dimension of decoration.
  
I've also added some stamping to the Paper Cellar paper on the left: the chandelier embossed in white; some extra text; and I used the lacy corner from the Pink Paislee London Market collection to create a matching semi-circular pattern on both papers.



I used the Brackets edge die again to create the vertical pocket on this page spread.  It echoes the edge of the page.  And I used the wavier bracket to add a border to the tag inserts I made for journalling.  


The stamps are from Prima's Nature Garden Collection, and the background text is also a Prima stamp.  







The little girl and the teacup are stamped in Black Soot Distress Ink rather than Archival, as I wanted that aged, vintagey look, rather than a pin-sharp image.


For the inking I used a blending tool to layer TH's Distress Ink in Weathered Wood and Stormy Sky.




There are some pages I altered very little, once I'd decided on the papers.  There is a little guest appearance from the Pink Paislee lace corner in this one... can you spot it?  I wanted to pick up the lace detailing and carry it over.






Other pages got a lot of attention before I decided I was happy with them:

This double page spread takes advantage of one of those happy accidents you encounter while crafting.      I was experimenting with creating my own misting spray.  I've got some with me, but nothing green, and scrapbooking supplies are pretty thin on the ground here in South Bohemia.  I did, however, have some Perfect Pearls mica powder, and a Bundled Sage Re-Inker (all Ranger/Tim Holtz), and a newly empty deodorant mister bottle!  



And I was actually doing all that for another project entirely.   I tried out the spray (on the gorgeous Tattered Angels Timeless Romance Glimmer Screen) and left it to dry while I carried on looking out papers and ideas for this album.  


When I brought the heart back to the table, I put it down without really paying attention, but when I looked, it was lying on this page saying, "hey, look, why don't you make a pocket out of me?".  So I did, adding the mirror image in Forest Moss using the matching Timeless Romance stamp set.






As well as the little hearts, there's a tag for some journalling bundled together in this little collection.  It's very plain and simple: just a small size luggage label that I've inked with vintage photo.  The hearts are diecut from the seedling pots Ive mentioned before. 











I stamped them on the lovely canvas-effect side, using Sepia Archival Ink with the London Market set from Pink Paislee, and inked the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. 








I edged the reverse with the TH Vintage Photo too, where you can see what I mean about the gorgeous, knobbly texture of the outer side of the pots.











In case you're not sure what I'm talking about with the seedling pots, here they are.  They were only 25Kc (Czech Koruna, or Crowns) for 18 pots... that's about 75p, or just over a dollar), and I'll get plenty of use out of them... so many crafting possibilities!




I'll share the remainder of the album with you soon... more ideas and discoveries to share, but I do have to spend some time on my Czech, or I'll be for ever stuck with standing and pointing in the shop, instead of being able to ask for my seedling pots by name!

He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.
Confucius




3 comments:

Laurart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurart said...

I adore this album (just like I adore all the things you make) - It is so beautiful - far better than albums sold in shops! You should feel very proud.
I have really enjoyed reading your blog, I love the sense of humour, the admitting that it doesn't always go to plan. It is an entertaining, beautiful, informative read...I look forward to many more!

27 June 2012 16:03

Rita said...

Hi from Scotland, I arrived at your blog from Crafty Individuals and what a lovely surprise. Your creations are beautiful and I will return often. Hugs Rita xxx