I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 2 September 2012

60th Birthday Album

Hello all, and a happy Sunday to you...  So glad you've found the time to stop by.

I'd like to share some pictures with you of an album I made for my uncle for his 60th birthday.  You've already seen the card, made on mountboard, to be framed and hung.  There's also a Configuration Box which was a joint gift for my uncle and aunt together (she'll also turn 60 this year), and which I'll share some time soon.

This album I made over the summer, with pocket pages which could be filled with stories, memories, pictures and memorabilia... Last week we, as a family, gathered those bits and pieces, copying, printing, and then I did some distressing to all of it, so that the whole thing could be handed over on Bank Holiday Monday at the party.

So here it is...

It's handmade completely from scratch, using the BoBunny Weekend Market papers.  They're lovely strong cardstock, so I was able to use just the papers themselves, folded and adhered, to make the pocket pages.  


I folded a half page of card into zigzags to provide the structure onto which to glue the folded pages - I hope that you can see what I mean in this photo on the right. I then also used glue tape along the bottom edge of the folded papers, et voilà - pocket pages!

For the covers, I stuck the paper to some mediumweight chipboard, for added sturdiness.  I've used Weekend Market for a masculine album before - I think it works really well.



I made the spine using a faux-leather technique which I first came across in this video by JAnnB Designs.  I love the texture.


I kept the 'leather' quite loose as I glued it, so that there'd be plenty of leeway for opening the album up.


Let's take a quick spin through the pages.



Each pocket uses a different paper from the collection, and there's additional stamping on some.  For each of them I made a co-ordinating tag, decorated front and back, and either the page or the tag - or sometimes both - has a sentiment stamped, and usually embossed, onto it.  (As well as that, on each tag I then handwrote a quotation we'd specially selected for my uncle on his 60th - but those are not there in these photos.)  I'll leave you in peace to take a look...



















Oh, sorry, just one thing... I wanted a nice neat finish to the album, so rather than put ribbons or tabs on the tags themselves, and onto everything else I knew would be going in the pockets - which could have ended up looking a bit messy -  I cut a little triangle opening into the top of each pocket so that you can pull out what's inside easily.














































































































I'm back!  Hope you managed to navigate your way through the album pages. 

Most of you will have recognised that most of the stamps are Tim Holtz, with a sprinkling of Pink Paislee and 7 Gypsies ones thrown in, also my favourite Autumn Leaves silhouettes.




There's a good tag example here at the end: the perched birds, here on the left, are on the reverse of the Journey tag, and - once flipped over - there they are in flight in the picture to the right, with the embossed Journey sentiment.






And in this final photograph you can see the pockets with all their extra stuffings, though I haven't shown you those here, because it's mainly very personal and therefore private.

This album was such fun to make, as the papers are a real pleasure to work with, besides being very gorgeous to look at.  

Thank you for spending some time here today, it's an absolute pleasure to have your company. I hope the rest of your day is filled with joy and peace.  See you again soon, I hope! 

I'm entering this for the following:
Top Tip Tuesday are celebrating their second birthday with a Birthday Gift challenge, and I'm offering a tip: when making pocket pages, make sure you can get hold of what you put inside - either by putting tabs or ribbons on the inserts, or by cutting an 'access dip' in the pocket itself.
Anything But a Card, a brand spanking new challenge blog, are kicking off with an Anything Goes
Another brand spanking new blog, Heck of a Challenge, are also running Anything Goes to get us started
Creavil are asking us to Make It For A Man - done!
Simon Says Stamp are also having an Anything Goes challenge

And for the quotes today, I'll share a couple of the ones I wrote onto the tags for my uncle.  
60? ... who's counting?!  Happy Birthday!

Old wood to burn, old books to read, old wine to drink and old friends to converse with.
Alphonso of Castile

When I was young I was amazed at Plutarch’s statement that the elder Cato began at the age of eighty to learn Greek.  I am amazed no longer.  Old age is ready to undertake tasks that youth shirked because they would take too long.
W. Somerset Maugham

Praise they that will times past, I joy to see
My self now live: this age best pleaseth me.
Robert Herrick

44 comments:

Sonia said...

Thanks so much dearest creative for your beautiful comment on my blog^_^
I looked now a few your works and this stunning album, you are a fabulous creative,gorgeous creations.
Happy Sunday,
Sonia

Victoria said...

A truly beautiful keepsake album that your uncle will treasure. The pages are stunning and I like how you've cut the notches to make sure he can get into the pockets easily. I think it's a wonderful personal and thoughtful gift.

Carol Q said...

that's truly scrumptious Alison. I wouldn't dare write anything in that lol.

Ana K. said...

Excellent Alison, no doubt that your uncle will be very happy! You made really great book with plenty space for memories!
Hugs from Slovenia

Carol Plume said...

What a great book and such a lovely piece of art to keep all those precious memories and details.

Great inspiration, TFS x

Kjersti said...

A fantastic album Alison, beautiful papers and lovely sentiments and tags!
Have a nice Sunday!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwww Alison What a greta book you made for your oncle.
A great piece of art
I think he will enjoy it very much.

Greetings Janny

Brenda Brown said...

I love handmade books Alison and this is a real designer one. Fabulous colours, stamping, quotes, papers, design ......... you get the drift?
Happy Sunday.
hugs {brenda} xox

Anonymous said...

Hi
This is such an incredible gift you have created for your Uncle, I see this as a gift from the heart all the work and love into its creation shines through.
Wishes
Lynne

Paula Whittaker said...

wow stunning...a real labour of love and Im sure it will be treasured by your uncle.

Lisa Minckler said...

Oh my goodness gracious....Alison!! Your gift is beyond words. I could get lost in the pages you've created. I especially loooove the drawer page. That looks sensational. What a tremendous effort and filled with so much love. It's fantastic. You certainly ARE in a birthday mood. :) Thank you so much for the lovely message you left on Top Tip Tuesday and for entering our challenge. Great tip too! Also, thanks so much for playing in our very first challenge at Heck of a Challenge.
Best of luck to you and have a great week.
hugs,
Lisa xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

How gifted you are Alison....this creation is stunning...I love every peace of it, it touches me in the right place!
Great gift for your uncle...
Thanks for showing, so we can enjoy it too :-)

greetings, Alie

Inkypinkycraft said...

beautiful, such wonderful colours, details and such a wonderful and i am sure to be treasured keepsake..another fab make! hows the painting going!!!?
hugs trace x

Lin said...

What a treasure! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

Crafting Queen said...

Really wonderful book!

Marjie Kemper said...

What a stunning book! I love those Bo Bunny papers, even more for the way you've personalized them with your stamping. Love all the pockets you've included, too... it's a treasure!

Cath Davidson said...

Wow! Stunning book, think I may need to give art Journalling a break for a bit and do a mini book again, would never look as amazing as this though. XCath

Julia S-W said...

Alison, this is absolutely beautiful. So full of the most fantastic images, colours, texture and superb techniques. I really love how you folded the zig zag for a structure to glue your pages to - so clever. I can't decide what I like best - I simply love ALL of it! I would imagine your Aunt and Uncle were over the moon with it and will treasure it forever.I will certainly be following your link for the faux leather - think I'm turning into a technique junkie!! Thank you so much for sharing all the details of your stunning creation with us at the first ABAC challenge. (I will come back again I'm sure just to see the bits I've undoubtedly missed!!).
Juliaxx

Michelle Webb said...

This book is all kinds of awesome Alison, every single page is so interesting to look at. Its all breathtaking. Michelle x

Claudia N. said...

What a treasure this is, Alison!

Such a heartwarming album, filled with heartfelt pocket-pages to be filled with real "things from the heart" to be treasured inside. (Hope this was a sentence anyhow...).

Love BoBunny's paper stash "Market Place" too!!! Seeing it used in such a delicate way, makes it even more precious to me.

Sooooo wonderful and full of love in it's making! Love!!!!!!

Hugs,
die amelie xx

catherine said...

This is going to be such a wondeful gift Alison for your uncle and aunt. I just love books like this and love all your pockets. I'm sure they will be able to fill them with all their precious memories.
x catherine

Margaret said...

This is truly a labor of love! There are so many wonderful pages and elements that I can't possibly pick a favorite one (although the card catalog paper is ultra awesome)!! Great tip on the V cut too!
Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card Challenges!

Lady E said...

Yous creation is beautiful! Love the colours, images and design! Wonderful piece of art! Thanks for sharing with us at Heck Of a Challenge and Good Luck! Hugs Lady E xx

Jenny Marples said...

Just catching up with posts and came across yours, which has taken forever to get through because I keep drooling over each image and going back over them to see how you've achieved such perfection with this stunning album. What a fantastic project. Your family must have been blown away by it. Thanks for sharing, hugs Buttons x

Kylie said...

Ummmm, WOW. Enough said!! xx

Anonymous said...

Stunning project Alison. Beautifully made as always.
Regards Florence x

Nicole said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog. Wow, this album looks absolutely fabulous. I love the vintage style and all the gorgeous stamps you used. Hugs, Nicole

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a gem of a gift!!! The zig zag design is brilliant and looks so sturdy! Love the old world vintage charm of the whole album! Fab work!

Bärbel said...

Wow, das Album ist großartig! Die wunderbarebn Stempel, die schönen Farben - eine tolle Leistung!

mark gould said...

Way cool, It really puts me in mind of the old 12" lp covers for some reason. (thats a good thing by the way) ;)
thanks for the heads up on the artistic stamper xx

Unknown said...

Alison, you have outdone yourself with this album. I could look at it forever. This is a wonderful gift and I'm thrilled that you joined us again for our birthday bash at Top Ti; Tuesday. Love it! Hugs

Carolyn Dube said...

Wow! This is an heirloom album! What a treasure!

Sonia said...

I'm here again^_^

Thanks for joining us at Heck of a Challenge this month and good luck.
DT Sonia
http://passionidicarta-sonia.blogspot.it/

Nicecrane Designs said...

Love these all vintage pages Alison,,,,,I ´ll pot your previus card in my blog/newsletter and I am sending you a super adorable gift,,, SHHHH...

Sarah said...

What a beautiful creation!!!!

mandy said...

thankyou for joining us at Heck of a challenge, what an absolutely amazing piece of work,love it.xxx

CarlaKH said...

This is beyond amazing! I just love the paper you used- so clever with the pockets- and all the neat quotes you used...I can see several stamps I now need to find! Love this. What a treasure! Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Yet again, I am amazed at this. Simply stunning.

Christy said...

What a great album...I love all the papers you used!! Thanks for joining us at ABAC :) :)

Alica said...

great album! Wonderful papers and I love how you did the spine

Thanks for joining us at Anything but a Card Challenge - hope to see more from you soon!

Alica ;)

Bettina L. said...

This looks just spectacular. Love how you've made this album completely from scratch in vintage style. Love all the details and the embellies you've used too. Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck. Hope to see you back tuesday for another challenge. Bettina xx

Corrinne said...

WOW! What a wonderful creation and it's made from scratch! Thank you for sharing this at ABAC :)

I invite you to join me at the Anything Goes challenge here: http://pinandtack.blogspot.com/2012/09/spark-your-creativity-now-challenge-1.html

Lots of joy,
Corrinne

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful book with everyone at ABAC! Your beautiful work put into this keepsake will be treasured always :)

Kati said...

what a fantastic artwork! I love it.
thanks for showing it for creavil
hugs
mamapia