I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 15 December 2013

Blissful Baubles

Hello all, and thank you so much for stopping by.  I'm here with my Design Team contribution to this month's Our Creative Corner challenge, A Very Vintage Christmas.  We're looking for Christmas projects created in a strictly neutral colour palette... right up my street!  And the rest of the team have come up with some gorgeous inspiration for you, so do have a look.

Some of you may remember my recent trials and tribulations creating a set of 2D Christmas baubles for PaperArtsy (I ended up calling them my Bothersome Baubles).  Well, this time, I had an absolutely lovely time playing with all my favourite things: gesso, book pages, wood and metal, twine, linen ribbon, and everything in subtle neutrals.



This time everything went according to plan, and I'm going to hold my hand up and say I love the results.  Transforming things from their original state is one of my out and out favourite things to do craft-wise, so these are my Blissful Baubles!






There are altered baubles everywhere at the moment, and I wanted to join in with the fun, so I got myself some very cheap plastic baubles (they used to look like this!) and started playing.

I'd seen a fabulous burlap-wrapped bauble over at Scrap Therapy, Evgenia Petzer's wonderful blog - if you've never been, do click on the link, and then have a scroll around too... you won't regret it!












So, for two of my baubles, that was where I started, using burlap to encase the glittery plastic as step one.














I cut some Tiny Tabs and Tags from thick card covered with Gothic text book pages and used those to decorate the baubles, along with all sorts of bits and bobs.













There are rusty jingle bells, an Idea-ology Muse Token, tiny Studio Calico stars and hearts... and more that we'll go into later!
















And, of course, a touch of gesso for that wintry look!


















Some of the red baubles got coats and coats of gesso, smooth to start with, and then textured so that they have a slight look of snowballs about them.












I used the new Idea-ology linen ribbon around one of them, creating a criss-cross patterning and tying a bow around the top.














This one got the Muse Token treatment, with a rusty jingle bell, some curly rusty wire and one of the tiniest tabs and tags with a Calico Studio star added to it.














Another had twine wrapped around its middle horizontally, and I added part of a wooden flourish and a little wooden heart, an Idea-ology Philosophy tag, some more curly wire, a pine cone, and some of these cute sparkly berries from Live and Love Crafts.











The third gesso bauble is decorated just at the top with a bow of soft burlap ribbon which I'd cut in half lengthwise as it was too wide for the job.  The lovely side effect of that is that you get lots of fabulous fraying!

And to the bow I added a little Idea-ology key, another tab and, well, you can probably do the rest yourselves!












The rest of the baubles got a layer of torn book pages glued onto them, with plenty of semi-gloss medium to keep it in place and give it a good strong sealing coat.  I love the look of this!

The decorations for these follow the pattern of the gesso'd ones.











So there's one that's criss-crossed with linen ribbon, and this time I added another bit of wooden flourish, a slightly larger pine cone and one of the tiny wooden hearts with some berries.















Here's the one with the twine tied around it's middle...













And this time it has a bundle of twigs tied with twine (like the burlap ones had), with an Idea-ology trinket pin, bell, heart etc etc etc.













And (maybe my favourite of all - though the gesso'd Moments bauble and the burlap double-hearts run it close) there's the one with the sliced linen ribbon around the top...















A pine cone, part of a flourish, and then a shower of Studio Calico shooting stars scattered across its surface.













All the gluing was done with a hot glue gun (won over at Stamping Sensations months ago and "rediscovered" in the recent house move, still in its envelope!!).  


It was a bit fiddly, but the hot glue did make life a lot easier than I was anticipating so - all in all - I've decided that rather than the previous Bothersome Baubles, these definitely count as Blissful Baubles.


I hope you've enjoyed them even half as much as I did!! 











Do hop over to Our Creative Corner to see the beautiful neutral inspiration from the rest of the team, and we'd love to have you join in the challenge too.  All the challenge details and the linky are here.


Given I used my prize hot glue gun, it seems appropriate to enter these in the Free and Easy December challenge at Stamping Sensations
And I'd also like to enter them in the Bah, Humbug challenge over at Country View Challenges.  I had planned to go for some humbuggery, but these little b*****s (that's baubles, of course, what else were you thinking?) have got me in the genuine Christmas spirit!
And these - with all my favourite things involved in the making and the act of transformation being what I most love to do - have evolved into one of my favourite makes of the year, so I'm going to enter them over at the Craft-room Challenge where they are making Time For Favourites
And I think I'm just in time to join in with Week 2 of the Anything Goes month at the Stampotique Designers Challenge

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things

Cream coloured ponies and crisp apple struedels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favourite things

And, barring those blue satin sashes, if we assume white roses - the song would also fit in the OCC Vintage Neutrals challenge!!


80 comments:

Deborah said...

Blissful to behold as well. Fabulous!

Alexa said...

Truly lovely baubles! x

Jenny Marples said...

This is you at your best Alison. Taking a set of humble baubles and transforming them into rustic gems is incredibly clever and each one is a joy to behold. Jenny x

Marci said...

Love these, something from nothing, again. They look so pretty against the dark greenery. Just lovely!

Redanne said...

They really are totally and utterly blissful Alison, anyone would be proud to have these hanging from their tree - stunning work. Hugs, Anne x

crealinedance said...

Hallo super leuk zeg.gr.Nel

Evelyn Walter said...

Alison, this is again soooo very artful and exceptionally! Love them all! Hugs Evelyn

Lynne K said...

Wow, Alison, these are absolutely gorgeous! I love the neutral colours, so very elegant, also the rustic look. I'd have them on my tree! Thank you for sharing them with us at Stamping Sensations this month. And thanks for your lovely comment on my blog too.

Lynne

Claudia N. said...

These are sooo brilliant, Alison,

and so "you"! My favourites are the burlap encased baubles, but I love all of them! They are so enchanting and adorable...and beautiful... absolutely awesome!

Hugs,
Claudia x

May said...

O my word Alison, I love what you have done with these baubles..You have such a creative mind...I adore them all...Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous....Hugs May x x x

Unknown said...

Wow!! I just love these!!

Rita said...

How Beautiful Alison. I have definitely fallen in love with this. It has a special vintage look of years gone by. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Lisa Minckler said...

Truly some bauble mania happening here on your blog! I think I'm in love with them. Pat yourself on the back chica...they're gorgeous!!!

Julie Lee said...

Ye-esss! Blissful indeed! I love, love, love these, Alison! You are an absolute creative genius! A transformation scene in which the gaudy, ugly baubles become exquisite creations. Love the way you used the Tim metal tags too. And I am going to admit to loving the beautiful Julie Andrews singing 'My Favourite Things' too! Rodgers and Hammerstein's fabulous words and music and Julie was a joy in that role! Julie Ann xxx

Annie said...

Hi Alison :-) I adore your baubles and can see why they are now a favourite. What a stunning gift idea too. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge this fortnight

Best wishes
Annie x

Helen said...

oh blissful totally! I wish I'd picked some up just now in the supermarket... lol!! Wonder if I still have time to make some...

Patti P. said...

Fabulous, I too love the neutral palette and your adornments are perfection. I am so in love with the book page ones....tfs.
hugs.....

Paper Profusion said...

Wonderful alteration Alison - these look fab-u-lous! Nicola x

Mandy's Crafts said...

Oh my gosh. Just love love these. Fab use of just ordinary baubles.......

Cestina said...

I'm so looking forward to seeing these hanging up in our new living room next week :-)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a gorgeous project...love those earth tones...great result Alison

Kind regards, Alie :-)

Dorthe said...

They are all so beautiful Alison,
I love your added swirls ,metal pieces,bells,papers and nature pieces, makes them rustic and gorgeous!!
Hugs, Dorthe

Inkypinkycraft said...

these are gorgeous and thanks for the blog link too...gorgeous baubles ...they are gorgeous xxx hugs x

froebelsternchen said...

I love these baubles Alison.. such natural and enchanting outcome...

gorgeous!

Amanda said...

Stunning!! I would even put my tree up to hang those from.
Love
Amanda x

Mervi said...

Hi Alison, they are gorgeous, fabulous altering with beautiful details. Great inspiration!
Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge.
Merry Christmas;-))m

Chrissy said...

They are awesome Alison..really wonderfully done..you are so clever.

luv CHRISSYxx

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

aww, Alison, these are truly vintage baubles :) beautiful imagination and creation(which I always find your work)! keep inspiring us :)

Martina said...

Thank you for your inspiration throughout the year, dear Alison. Your vintage baubles are amazing!

House of Bears said...

Oh these are just stunning, what a wonderfully festive house full of fabulous makes you must have. Horace says these are his favourite make from you. :)

maria's knutselplezier said...

Very Artsy an unique, I love these special baubles , Alison , I wish you a piecefull and creative christmastime!!!I really want to see your christmastree, I think it looks wonderful and very special!!!

Greetings
Maria

Ana K. said...

Wow Alison, this is marvellous...I’d like to have something like this in my Christmas tree....thank you for great idea and inspiration!

Kay Wallace said...

Text and burlap are two of *my* favorite things, Alison, so these ornaments would be perfect on my tree. A lot of work, I can tell, but well worth the time and energy in my book! Well done!

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous selection of decorations. I can imagine hoe beautiful your tree will look.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Your 'blissful baubles' are fabulous Alison ! So much detail, I'm sure they look fantastic on your tree ! Sue C x

Sue said...

Beautiful blissful baubles Alison, I love that Gothic text and the pine cones. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stampotique. Sue xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Love your blissful baubles Alison, each one is a beauty in itself but as a set they really have the wow factor!!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow Alison, type ornaments turned out beautifully! lovely vintage muted tones and I absolutely adore all the hessian touches! xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Now they are what I call baubles! What a fabulous transformation. A gorgeous collection that deserves to be on show all year round! Away but got a connection - Yay! Chrisx

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful collection Alison! Love all the burlap and metal trinkets! Thanks for the inspiration!

Maggie said...

Stunning makeover Alison just adore all the trinkets and texture on these, they would look fabulous in my conservatory......now where did I put that burlap.............lol

MaggieH

chrissie said...

What a truly amazing idea. I put our tree and the old baubles back in the loft as they looked awful. The baubles can come back down :) All I need now is ideas to transform a black plastic tree:(

Thank you for the words to My Favourite things. I do sing it often but never knew the opening to second verse was Cream Coloured Ponies--I usually hum that bit. Vic will be very surprised when I actually sing the words.:0)

Love Chrissie x

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous Alison. Very creative!! I love all the little embellishments on the baubles. Karen.x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oh my gosh, Alison, your vintage baubles are absolutely fantastic. I'm drooling here. LOVE them and really wish I had time to play around with something this myself, but I don't think I have enough time left before the holiday. I am definitely bookmarking this for next year though! You totally nailed the Very Vintage Christmas challenge. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Hugs,
Linda

cathylynn said...

What a remarkable transformation and I totally love each bauble. Such gorgeous rustic pieces of art.
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Hettie said...

WOWZER! I truly LOVE these Alison and would fit in so well with my "Prague" themed tree. Need some cheap baubles or I may just look in the boxes to see if there are any scabby looking ones in there!
Great idea and wonderful.
Hugs
xx

maj. said...

An amazing baubles, love the beautiful details !!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a fun and fabulous creations! Alison. Love all the beautiful details on the baubles. <3 :)

Cocofolies said...

I love each and every of your blissful bubbles Alison wow!!! Great work as usual! Hugs, Coco xx

Netty said...

Love your shabby chic baubles, Annette x

Anonymous said...

Stunning, gorgeous, beautiful & amazing, I want every one!!

Anonymous said...

Words fail me....I love, love, love them all Alison xxx

Reflective Art Studio said...

These are just stunning... You are right Great Minds. Happy Holidays to you. Warmly-
Sarinda

Nan G said...

Blissful baubles for sure!

Eulanda said...

THESE ARE STINKIN' COOL!!!

Kaz said...

These are stunning Alison, you've put so much work into them. I tried last year with the book pages on baubles and gave up as more was sticking to me than the baubles!! Thanks for joining us again at Stampotique.

Kelly said...

Well I am just loving the baubles!!! I love the textures and book page and stars, bells, pinecones, tag, key…ect Wow they are so gorgeous and would look great on my tree. I will have to start these now in order to get them done by next year! Well done!!
Merry Christmas!
Kelly

Unknown said...

Hi Alison,
Remember me, lol. Sorry to be a stranger lately but I'm so glad to be here to see these lovely baubles. The burlap is a nice touch and I love the way these turned out. Thanks for the inspiration!!! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Lisa

brenda said...

Each one is stunning Alison and all so very different but with that wonderful rustic feel.

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Shirley said...

Baubles, baubles and more baubles Alison absolutely pure heaven. They remind me of deliciously wrapped chocolates.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

AngelicaS said...

Fabulous baubles!
Love all the beautiful details.

having a {me} day said...

Hi Alison, Your Christmas decorations are amazing, I love the rustic nature. Following your awesome work back! keeley

Kate Yetter said...

These are gorgeous, Alison. I love the rustic look.

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, I love your
baubles.

Hugs
Anke

*Arwen* said...

WOW! Speechless
They're so awesome

xx Arwen

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful and Blissful Baubles.
Avril xx

Sandy said...

Your wonderful Christmas baubles would be right at home in the mountains of North Carolina. We are rite country here! Of course you have me singing - hmmm - I wonder if I sound like Julie Andrews. I sure wish I had some snow flakes staying on my nose and eyelashes!
Merry Christmas Pretty Lady and you are really a joy to follow!
sandy

toni said...

Glorious baubles so unique , I love them !!! X

Lucy Edmondson said...

These are gorgeous, Alison!

Lucy x

Evgenia Petzer said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful words! Yours look so beautiful!

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Just one word to add to the superlatives Alison - WOW!

Debi said...

Alison, these are stunners, and even though you've made some other stunning creations this year, I can see why these are a fav :-)
Happy Christmas to you, and thank you for all the wonderful words you've popped on my blog this year, heres to a great 2014, thanks for sharing with us at our Favs of 2013 Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

sara j said...

These are just lovely Alison....I tend to go for the traditional red and green at Christmas, but these would fit into any decor...plus I love all the bits and bobs you've incorporated. Once again, uber cool!
If I don't chat with you again, I hope you have a peaceful Christmas full of just what you dream of and a year full of good tidings. I have so enjoyed your blog and creativity. I know I will always be inspired when I visit.
Hugs, Sara

Anonymous said...

WOW these are absolutely stunning!.Thank you for joining the Stampotique DC

Sam & Poppy said...

Oh my! Your baubles are absolutely stunning, love them.
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique :)

Kasia said...

Oh WOW! Amazing baubles! Love them all :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Pinning!

Kezzy said...

Oh wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous stunning baubles, I really love the neutral colours, ooooo I'm so so loving them, I really need to practice more with neutrals. Hugs Kezzy xxx :-)

Jennie Atkinson said...

Just absolutely fabulous Alison - I am amazed how you can take something so ordinary and turn it into something so absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing your wonderful baubles with us at Country View Crafts for this month's challenge. x

Margaret said...

So sorry for not popping in sooner! These are absolutely fabulous!! I can just see them positioned on your beautiful tree! I need to remember this idea for next year. I have several less than lovely ornaments in my Christmas stash!