I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Discover Yourself

Hello everyone!  I hope you're keeping warm/dry/safe wherever you are.  I've some journalling pages to share with you today - pure playtime... and back to my January colour obsession of vivid blues and greens.





No process photos to speak of once I really got going - I was too wrapped up in the process! - though I have a couple of the very start, before I got into the swing of things.

And I made it days ago, so this will be a post of more photos than information.








I started out by brayering paint onto the pages, and adding tissue tape as well as ink and texture paste through a stencil.












I also smeared some streaks of multi-medium with my fingers just to alter how the inks and paints would take in different areas.

Yeah, and then I don't really know what happened next...







There was quite a lot of spritzing involved at various points.  I think Dylusions, Colour Wash and Cosmic Shimmer mists all played a part.










I stamped the wonderful Tim Holtz Art text in ink and in paint, building layers.










In the long run I even embossed some of it, because I couldn't get any of the white paints to hold their own against the inks underneath them.






The quote had been sitting on my table for weeks - stamped on watercolour paper and all inked up with Distress Inks and Stains.  It narrowly missed out on being in an earlier project, but suddenly its time had come.  

But what to put on the facing page?












Yup, you can't keep a good woman down... she turns up in my projects again and again (and again and again).

She's also stamped on watercolour paper and I did my best to replicate the colours from the quote, though I'd long forgotten which particular blues and greens were on there.










For these pages, I surrounded her with butterflies again, but more formally positioned: horizontally...













... and vertically...














And she's even got herself an inky chin in the name of ART!











It still needed something, and that's when I grabbed some little wooden butterflies (the larger ones are by Studio Calico, the absolutely tiny ones are from my lovely Polish find, the UHK Gallery).














I painted them all white, and then added some Ranger Enamel Accents to the teeny ones.  It gives a lovely dimensional glossy look.










For the larger ones I played around with stamping the Papillon butterflies onto them, trying to decide whether I minded that you always lost part of the image...
















In the end, I decided it was quite cool!  I'm saving up for the Papillon Framelits that have just been released, but until then, I'm happy with this as an alternative.











The wood has more dimension than card in any case!















I do like them fluttering off on their path of discovery...




















So those are the pages...

All my favourite things to do - layering, texture, inking, stamping, and with an extra shot of colour today!

I love that you get a different kind of hit of colour intensity in different lights.


















Thanks so much for stopping by today.  If the blue-green vibe is all getting a bit much for you, there's a chance to revisit one of my pinker moments over at Artistic Outpost today!








I'd like to enter these pages over at the Tando Creative Challenge where they are looking for Bold and Bright creations.
And at Anything But A Card Diana has offered a Mini-Challenge to do an Art Journal Page.






The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
Marcel Proust

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
André Gide

54 comments:

massofhair said...

Personally i can never get enough of blues & greens as i find them restful & relaxing!

Stunning page, beautiful dimension & textures especially the wooden butterflies.

Loving your ArT Alison:-) xxx

Shirley said...

Pure heaven on a page and what girl wouldn't want an inky chin Alison.

Quick blog post as I am off to catch boat for my ride home to the UK to pick up all those crafting goodies. Yay.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Brenda Brown said...

Your fabulous colours, textures and stamping have created amazing depth to these pages. The little butterflies are delightful and I love the stamped ones, they add great dimension enabling the eyes to move easily around the space. Beautiful work Alison xx

Helen said...

You are becoming known for your blues and greens - and personally I love them!! This is no exception - totally beautiful page, I love the butterflies trying to escape the page... there's not one thing I don't like about this page.

Redanne said...

So very you Alison and so very beautiful! Anne x

Astrid Maclean said...

Playtime is always great, and this spread is beautiful, so many layers and depth and like Anne R said, so very you. Love the butterflies!

Von said...

How wonderful Alison :)
Von ♥

Maggie said...

Fabulous pages Alison, restful colours and you can see you enjoyed making this project. As always you have achieved lots of layers and texture to your project.

MaggieH

chrissie said...

Terrific colour choices to brighten up the dull winter days.
So pleased that you are 'words and pictures'

Loved these 'words' you posted today

'Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.'

I definitely needed this quote in my life at the moment and will print it out and make sure it is pinned somewhere that I can see it.

Love Chrissie x

Julie Lee said...

I love everything about this, so where do I begin? That Tim Holtz lady stamp is so beautiful and adaptable and I love the way you have used her with the butterflies! Those little enamel butterflies are super and I think the stamped ones work really well too. It feels as if they could just flutter off the pages into our world and inspire us. The background is fabulous and - like the whole spread - a stimulating voyage of discovery. The quote - well - what could be better? And blues and greens - I never never tire of them! Stunning work as always. I love it! Julie Ann xx

May said...

Gorgeous pages... the blues & greens are perfect...The layers & texture is simple Beautiful... Hugs May x x

rachel said...

so very beautiful - these colours sing to me - love them! Hugs rachel x

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is absolutely exquisite, Alison. Love everything about it!

Lucy x

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is wonderful - can see how you just 'got into it'! Those colours are true you and the quote is just perfect for this page! Chrisx

Bonnie Irvine said...

I never get tired of blues and greens the way you do them! This is gorgeous, Alison. I love the way that she seems to be emerging from the background and that spray of dimensional butterflies is amazing. I do that all the time...start out with good intentions about taking pictures but partway, I get so engrossed in the process that everything else goes out the window. Fabulous spread!

brenda said...

Stunning again Alsison and lots of wonderful textures.

It's the second time I have seem that face image in a couple of days and am thinking I really need it, I am guessing it might be TH so off to try and track it down.

B x

Rita said...

What a great array of colours Alison. I love how you have put it all together. Hugs Rita xxx

Diana Fernandez said...

I love your art journal page! Thanks so much for joining my mini challenge at Anything But a Card

Hettie said...

Gorgeous. Isn't Playtime so much fun?!
xx

Netty said...

Oh yes we all need playtime, time to experiment and have fun. Your pages are beautiful with all its fab layers Alison, hugs Annette x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

GORGEOUS!!! I love the pop up butterflies making a shadow! Beautiful pages!

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous pages, loved all the photos.
Yvonne

Dorthe said...

Your art journal pages are fantastic, dear Alison,- love the green and blue and all your butterflyes... the face is beautiful, and all your layers of painting-inking-and stamping ,so amazing , gorgeous texture !!
xo,Dorthe

maj. said...

Your page is amazing, Alison!!!

Amanda said...

great pages,so much scrummy texture and stamping and brilliant colour combo.
love
Amanda X

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous pages and love how you've incorporated the wooden butterflies

Sam xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Hi Alison, spent my childhood in dungers - bit of a tomboy- that's why 'he' was a 'she'! Chrisx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

At first I thought the butterflies were cutouts, to the layer below, where some of them had images stamped. Now I see they are wooden and raised, I wonder how my eyes saw it the other way to begin with. Another great project! I like your, "And then I don't really know what happened next..." That's usually how I go through my whole life.

Paper Profusion said...

Delicious inking Alison - wonderful page (gosh page makes it sound such an understatement but you know what I mean!) Nicola x

Tincan Crafter said...

Hi Allison.
So pleased that you stopped by my blog today and thank you for the lovely comment - I was sure that since I havent really been updating as regularly as before that it had been forgotten altogether. No its not you - I checked the page at work - the font is abnormally huge - serves me right for posting without checking. Going to see if I can reformat in Blogger now!

cathylynn said...

Outstanding!!! I love the stamps that you used and those butterflies are fabulous. Of course your colors and textures are yummy.
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful journal pages Alison! Love the pretty color palette, the texture and all the butterflies fluttering about!

Anonymous said...

This could definitely be your signature colour palette as when I see it I think of you.
Love the stamped butterflies, don't we always love to see butterflies, they speak of hope and freedom.
Beautiful pages you have shared with us.
Wishes
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! The colours are wonderful & I love all the butterflies.

Terry said...

I love your vivid blues and greens and love these journal pages! Beautiful finished pages, Alison! Hugs!

craftimamma said...

I'm sure my Mum used to repeat an old saying to me when I was a child, somthing about 'blue and green should never be seen .....' and it always comes to my mind as such a contradiction when I see the two together but I think nothing looks more beautiful. Your journal pages are quite stunning Alison with such a lot of depth and texture. It would be impossible not to gently run your fingertips over the surface and the butterflies are superb.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Kate Yetter said...

Beautiful art journal pages. Gorgeous texture and color choice. Loving that focal image with the lovely butterflies.
Kate

mark gould said...

Beautiful pages Alison, the colours are lush and the butterfly theme running through with all the words and texture is stunning x

trisha too said...

Rich, gorgeous pages, Alison--and beautiful colors. This time of year especially, the greens and rich blues are appreciated!

:)

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow Your journal page is so gorgious, love the greens and the blues in your beautiful background, the face is so beautiful and I love the way you used the butterflies!!!Thanks for sharing your great Art work!!

Greetings
Maria

Sandy said...

It is so much fun when I get to watch your process - I always think I am going to copy you and then I get so involved with what I am doing. Well I guess I do learn that way. Beautiful colors and such a pretty lady image. In my mind's eye, I picture you doing all this. So intent then standing back and seeing what your gut thinks. Blue green is pretty together - I have never been a girly girl so pink really is not my favorite color.
Okay Alison - signing off for now - by the way pretty lady - I am still waiting!
Sandy

Evelyn Walter said...

Wonderful! I love your bues and greens <3
xxx Evelyn

Cocofolies said...

Fab pages Alison, love the colours, the quote, and all the lovely details, like the way you have re-inked some parts of text on the background with white paint or embossing!... And thank you to play along with Tando this month, that's great!! :) Hugs Coco xx

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous pages Alison, it's obvious you enjoyed this 'playtime'
Always love it when you do blues and greens.
Avril xx

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Butterfly well this page is so appropriate for you, those fabulous colors, your titillating textures,that is one of my favorite images and you have used it so many fabulous ways,then all the floating butterflies, just superb, thanks for sharing your genius....

Becky Garrison said...

Your pages are beautiful! I love the colors, the butterflies, everything! Thanks so much for joining us at the mini challenge at Anything But A Card! Becky (DT)

hazel said...

Beautiful pages, the colours are lovely and the textures fabulous, I love them.
xxx Hazel.

Jools Robertson said...

Beautiful colours and textures as always, so much gorgeous detail and the stamps are lovely

Hugs

Jools x

Marci said...

Sounds like you had a fun time making this. The stamps on the butterflies are very nice, I think. You have a very good sense of color. That stamp( the face) looks different from different angles, and I have always liked the quote stamp.

Kasia said...

Fabulous page! Love the butterflies :)

Carol Plume said...

great journal pages - loving all that texture - thank you for sharing at Tando creative this month.

Gio said...

Not my fave shades at all, but when I see your pieces, and a page like this, I would love even green and blue!!

Margaret said...

Gorgeous! The butterflies are wonderful and I especially like the tiny white ones!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous stunning journal page. I have fallen in love with this journal page lol, every time I have a favourite you produce another favourite lol. I love the colours and the face with the butterflies is awesome. Kezzy :-) xxx