I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 21 January 2016

Wanderlust Travel Journal

How appropriate to create a travel journal for a course called Wanderlust!  And how appropriate for me in a year when it now seems I'm going to be away more than I'm home... (exciting, but bad news for my crafting time).


Today I'm sharing some pictures of the accordion album I created in response to Kate Crane's tutorials in the second week of the course.  (Well, there are quite a lot of photos, in fact - so I think for once I'm going to stick to the simplest course and put them straight down the middle of the post!)


I loved the construction of the journal, and I think I rose to the challenge of doing at least some of my own mark-making...


... but the finished piece is really quite a long way from the original in style.


But I think that's one of the joys of courses and tutorials... to be inspired and to let that inspiration interweave with your own creative instincts and pleasures.


Obviously, I don't want to give away Kate's secrets, so in this post I'm just making my way through the pages of the album, sharing some close-ups as we go.


As you can see, my colour palette stayed close to home (but then I've got to be inspired to journal in this, so it's no use having lots of colours which don't feel like me)...


... and it was also very natural to me to create lots of texture when I applied my gesso originally.


I love what that gesso texture adds to the whole feel of the piece.


I didn't go for as much colour variation as in the original, but I think different pages still have different atmospheres.


Some are quite moonlit and bluesy with plenty of Prussian Blue Hue.  Others are much bolder and fresher with the bright Green Gold taking centre stage.


And there are some where cloudy whites soften the whole look...


Lots of lids and other implements (both ends, sometimes) were pressed into action to create the circles and bubbles and dots.


For my own mark-making, rather than the geometrical doodling Kate does so well, I wanted to build a palette of more organic, natural doodles.


The stamps and images I return to again and again are the nature ones, so I thought it would be good if I experimented with creating some nature imagery of my own.


I love a good wild grass stamp, or bare tree branches... I think my doodles are somewhere between the two!


They're done with paint/paintbrush for the thicker lines and ink/dip pen for the finer lines.


And I came up with a leaf shape which was no more than a single placing of the paintbrush tip.  I added some pen work to create the veins of a basic leaf skeleton.


Obviously, I couldn't resist including some of my much-loved word stamps... in various shades of green Archival.


One thing I had an absolute ball with was the scribbling.


As I said when I shared my first Wanderlust pages, putting my own handwriting there felt really scary.  But the scribbly version is so freeing...


... whether scribbling words or just plain scribbling scribbling!


In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I scribbled in pen, in coloured pencil and in paint in different places.


I started to feel that I wouldn't want to journal over the top of all my lovely layers, so I layered blank pages in every section.


Obviously, I distressed the white page edges to give a more textured look.


I do like how you get hints of all the different colours, doodles and mark-making in the layering of the pages.


I also think the white framing effect of these inserted pages sets off the busy doodled pages rather nicely.


There's a pocket built in to the whole thing too, so there are some more gesso'd pages tucked in there, ready to be journalled on.


I have a troubled history with sewing machines (though I'm about to have one final try), so I did my bookbinding by hand with a simple pamphlet stitch.  I left the knots perfectly visible because I think the bookbinding thread is beautiful in itself!


For my looped fastening, I gesso'd some burlap ribbon (this is the back cover - texture paste and drybrushing = happy place).


I love the look of the gesso'd burlap, and it makes it pleasurably stiff and chunky.


So, having been a little wary to start with, I ended up having an absolutely wonderful time creating this.


And the end result really makes me happy.  I call that a result!


Of course, if you're tempted to come and join the Wanderlust journey, it's never too late.  All the videos are always available for viewing and download.  So far, we've only scraped the surface of what's on offer throughout the year. If you want to know more about the many amazing teachers involved as well as all the other benefits, take a look at this post, and as an affiliate I can also invite you simply to...


Thank you for bearing with me through all those photos.  As you know, I like to get everything recorded here in my virtual scrapbook, and when a project has this many pages and details, there just have to be a lot of pictures!  I hope you enjoyed travelling through my travel journal, and I'll hope to be travelling around to visit you in the next few days.

These are my scribbled words (which may have altered slightly in the scribbling!)...

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
André Gide

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - 
I took the one less travelled by...
From The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

76 comments:

Helen said...

Alison, this is a fantastic journal, (I haven't done Kate's yet) the colours are gorgeous, and it does have a really dreamy, moonlit feel to the whole thing.Clever you - hope you enjoy some journalling on your extra pages whilst you're away!

brenda said...

It looks like you are having a fab time with all thins inkiness Alison and as Helen said it does have a really dreamy feel to it.

B x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Ohh my goodness, stunning pages, I so love this, would love to touch and feel. Thanks for sharing Alison

Fliss said...

This is absolutely stunning Alison. Such beautiful serene colours and the most wonderful mark making.
I'm a tad green with envy and I so wish I could do this!
Fliss xx

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful book Alison - love your pages - I've got my covers done and my pages half painted - really must get it done before more projects come along! Love the stamps and paints you've used - in your beautiful signature blue/green colors! Julia xx

experiments in paper said...

Lovely journal which I know will be put to use this year capturing precious memories! I've not yet tackled mine, but this is gorgeous inspiration to do so! xxx Lynn

Meggymay said...

Oh WOW, this is totally gorgeous Alison. Loved seeing all the photos.
Yvonne xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh my gosh, Alison! This is so very cool! These aren't your usual muted colors, but they are ever so gorgeous and you've used them well! No shocker! ;0 I really love your marks and blending and soft layers of stamps. The cover is super cool as well, what an inspiration! Great work and you've definitely made me want to take this class! TFS!

rachel said...

stunning work - I love this to pieces - mine is sadly sitting awaiting my new computer to arrive as I can't view the films on this one - not sure why! Anyway - its nice to have a drool over all this painty inky yumminess! Beautiful!!! Hugs rachel xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This really is fabulous Alison and I can certainly see that you have made this in your preferred style! I hope you have fun filling the pages.Hugs, Chrisx

sally said...

What a delight your accordion booklet/journal is! I'm settling in & exploring what's been happening here & there around blog land & this piece of yours immediately caught my eye! Itching to get crafting again....

Sally xx

Corrie Herriman said...

You succeeded perfectly in creating a travel journal that is very Alison. In other words; it is beautiful. Love your doodles, colours and textures and the scribbling makes it very personal to you. Love it !
Corrie x

Hettie said...

Scrummy Alison. Just scrummy.
Hugs
xx

Almo said...

Alison your whole book is so beautiful, what a treat to see every page in all its glory here. The blank inserts are a great idea so as to keep the lovely painting and doodling seperate from your journaling, I might adopt this idea with my next one. Always love this colour palette, I never tire of the freshness of whites blues & greens. Mo x

Amanda said...

what a stunning journal Alison, love the gentle, restful feel of it all.
Love
Amanda X

Jenny Marples said...

Oh I for one am so glad you went in your own direction with this incredible journal Alison! I LOVE the burlap cover and the subtle gesso texturing which compliment your 'painty play' throughout. Here's hoping your own travels are as inspiring and rewarding. Jenny x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison, gorgeous journal. You have got me thinking that I might make one when I get home based on my ski trip, think it might work.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Alison and in my favourite colours. Love your markings and how,you layered your elements and colours. Lovely to see you go in your own direction . Tracy x

Chrissy said...

Absolutely wonderful Alison..the colours and textures are you and I love the doodling in places...the gesso'd burlap, cant feel the crunch from here..I can see water when I look at one of your pages with the gesso..a still serene water effect...gorgeous work.

luv CHRISSYxx

Etsuko said...

What a beautiful and passionate one winter scene and you expressed in the minimum colours. The gesso of technology that you have applied looks great water surface ripples and bubbles. The bright white circles look like lens flare and tiny the leaves are so cute. The branch to send the winter in monologue. The distressed blank page between the journal is very effective. Finally, this album cover and the burlap are incredible, everyone will throb with hope. Thank you so much for showing a detailed, I have read very fun. xxx

Rupa Swaminathan said...

Had a fantastic run thru your journal, Alison. Never never tired of you color palette...amazing how you manage to create beauties with them. This is just one of them, wish I could see it in person. Its just magical...wintery woods! Great inspiration.

Deb said...

Alison, that is absolutely scrumptious, the colours, the textures, the mark making which is so utterly you, I can't begin to express how much I love it! Thanks so much for sharing it, what a fabulous journal construction too, may have to try and figure it out, it is lovely! Deb xo

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wooow, Alison what a stunning project, your are really the queen of amzeing projects!!! Great , amazing book, I don't have words for it, I sit here with my mouth open, so see all that beauty, I love the colours and the way you used all stamps , , Great ART!!!

Greetings
Maria

Kath Stewart said...

wow...wow...wow love love love it xxx

Flo Langley said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning.
Hugs Flo x

Redanne said...

Your colour choices are perfect Alison, at least if you do journal on the pages you should be able to see the words! I love that you added the blank pages, wish I had thought of that! Kate's class was excellent but like you, I did my own thing and am pleased with the result. Anne xx

House of Bears said...

So beautiful. I wish I could see it irl

Lauren Hatwell said...

What a beautiful album. I really enjoyed meandering through your wonderful photographs, picking out all the fabulous details. SO glad to see how much everybody is enjoying their Wanderlust journeys. I am certainly enjoying them, albeit vicariously. Lx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Absolutely beautiful Alison,I'm in love with it as it looks so magical. You are certainly making the course very tempting ;)
Hugs
Donna xxx

Pamellia said...

Wow, this is just incredible! So many details on every page! The colours are just dreamy, what an amazing journal!! The cover is so wonderful, love how you tied it. hugs :)

Marci said...

What a pleasure it must be to make your own journal like this. I love the cover AND the pages. Lots of experimentation and beautiful colors. Sounds like fun!

froebelsternchen said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS dear Alison! I see that Wanderlust is the perfect course for you to bring your artistic side in full swing!
Love that! Have fun furthermore and enjoy it and I am looking forward to seeing all the amazing things you will come up with!
Happy weekend my friend!
oxo
Susi

Unknown said...

Love this journal and the cover so much!

Kay Wallace said...

Love your travel journal, Alison! Lots of detail, but lots of room for what you might add along the way to...well, wherever! Have fun with Wanderlust!

Margik said...

What an amazing journal, Alison! The pages are so gorgeous and the cover is fabulous. Great textures and colours!!! I really love it!
Mar xx

Candy C said...

Alison...this is gorgeous. I always love your work. Your pages are so relaxing to look at with their warm colors. Every page has such a wonderful flow.

Terry said...

Alison, I am just loving your pages! The cover and all the details inside are wonderful and gorgeous! As always a great mix of colors! Hugs!

Dorthe said...

This is gorgeous, Alison, the winter scenes and your doodled branches and grasses looking so wonderful, with the different stamped texts and circles, or your own handwriting ,giving something totally else to the pages, making the viewer curious !!
The gesso background looks beautiful with all the texture !!
Dorthe, XXO

sam21ski said...

Great book and your colour pallet is gorgeous x

Diana Taylor said...

How totally lovely is this - I just love your use of colour and the natural organic feel to your work. The cover is beautiful and I love the aged, embossed look. I'm off to read more about Wanderlust!

Paper Profusion said...

A result? I'd call this a hell of a result and a half! Or maybe that should be heaven? ANyways, I love your journal Alison. It's both incredibly zen and energetic with those beautiful hues. The white inkings and pages work brilliantly. Have a wonderful weekend. Nicola x

Willy said...

Wow! Love the colors an all the beautiful details and especially your handwriting!!

Kjersti said...

Amazing journal Alison! Love the structure, the bright colors and the design - just so beautiful!
Enjoy the weekend!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous journal, the pages are stunning.

Theresa Merkling said...

Love what you've done with yours! I have my covers made and the inner pages gesso'd - just need to start on the creative exercises now. Great inspiration from your share!

sarascloset said...

Oh, what a lovely album, filled with beautiful colors and textures, truly fantastic doodling and scribbling. Truth be told, I was fooled; I thought all those trees and leaves and scribbles, too, were stamped! This is breathtaking, but that is too trite an adjective for such beautiful artwork, but then so are all the synonyms. So just let it be known that this evoked such emotion in me! I can only imagine the journaling that will be done with in it's waiting pages.

Alison, thank you for your sweet words on my blog. It means the world to me, but I would think it would be hard for someone so talented to always come up with such encouraging words!

I've received your package in a shape that looks like it was hand delivered from next door! Why does my domestic mail always look like it's flown 1/2 way around the world??? I will be opening it tomorrow. I think I will need a little pick-me-up! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Alison, it might well be very late but what a joy to visit this post and view your exquisite journal.
I'm so disappointed, I haven't managed to watch one video and not selected my "word". Now wondering if I will ever catch-up!
Wishes
Lynne

craftytrog said...

This looks wonderful Alison! I love your pages, great colours! xx

Julia said...

I am not surprised the end result made you happy. This is stunning. The tree branches on the pages in particular tie the pages together so nicely and those doodley scribbles are very interesting. There is so much to see, I love this.

Jackie PN said...

Alison, I absolutely ADORE Your journal!! Maybe you should teach a class or two? hint hint (again) heehee
Safe travels my friend xo
Jackie

Pawsitively Creative said...

Wowzers! This just keeps getting better and better the further I read! Love the organic approach you used and he colors worked wonderfully together with the organic theme. Awesome sauce doodles and doodles! So much time and car went into this design! Genius idea to keep some extra pages in the pocket so you can add to this gem. Stunning make! Hugz. ~Niki

Gaby Bee said...

Your journal looks awesome, Alison! Loved seeing all the photos. Your artwork is always delicious eye candy!

Enjoy the weekend!
Gaby

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Wow Alison you have really put your own slant on this project absolutely brilliant love your colour choices and your cover Well!! x

Ewik said...

I am impressed these pages, I have written a blog Wanderlust that jet is incredibly beautiful!:)

Mrs.B said...

This is so beautiful Alison, love YOUR colour palette, striking against the white sheets. Loved seeing all the photos.
Avril xx

maj. said...

Totally stunning artwork Alison!!!

Lys said...

Absolutely wonderful, Alison! I could stare at each page for hours! Lovely layers and details added... What a treasure!

Astrid Maclean said...

Woohoo Alison, this is amazing, wow, - you have been busy, I can see the Kate inspiration, yet it is totally you, fabulous!!! (I have not even managed to watch all of her videos, let alone made a start), - I am full of admiration!

Suzanne C said...

What beautiful mixed media pages with gorgeous soothing colors. The painted trees and branches are lovely!

Lisa Minckler said...

Once again you swept me away to a magical place of paints and inks and textures and words...it's truly a lovely place and I can say with 100% assurity I could live in there. So proud of you for just diving in and 'gettin' 'er done!'
big hugs and safe travels always,
Lisa x

catherine said...

Absolutely fabulous Alison and love those pages and your cover. I still have to start mine !!
x catherine

Deborah Wainwright said...

Wow wow wow I adore your journal Alison. The colour palette is delicious and I love your markings. The whole journal has a vintage style that looks like it it a beloved journal which has already travelled the world and holds many a secret. Love it! Xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, wow, wow. That's a wonderful piece of art and I'm sure it will be outstanding at the end of the journey.
I haven't joint Wanderlust, because I'm still working on my journals started in 2015 :D

Unknown said...

Gracious sakes alive Alison.... if this was ALL you CREATED during Wanderlust it would be enough.... so it would seem to me!!!!!!!!!! This is just ELEGANTLY STUNNING and LUSCIOUSLY ABSTRACT. The "freedom" of it is amazing. The colors are just exquisite. The texture is intriguing. THIS IS A TRUE WORK OF ARTISTIC FINESSE. j

Sarah B said...

these pages are all so tranquil and peaceful looking - love the shades of blue and green xx

Sandy said...

Wasn't that a good tutorial! I still have to make mine. Yes Alison I know - I am always a day late and a dollar short. Love your journal.
sandy xx

Julie Lee said...

Wow! Helen is so right about the moonlit, dreamy quality of these pages. I love the mysterious feel and the mark making is fantastic!I feel that I could step into these pages and lose myself. The accordion format suits the designs so well. No wonder you are pleased with what you've created: it's truly beautiful and although no doubt inspired by Kate's tutorial, nevertheless unique and your own! Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely piece of work. xx

cathylynn said...

What a masterpiece! I love your album. The colors and details of each page is a story in itself. I know how much work goes into making these albums and your is over the top gorgeous. Once again you have created magic! Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Cocofolies said...

Woooow!!!! How fabulous your version is!!!!
Fantastic work and result Alison!!!!!! :)
Still have to do mine, unfortunately not yet started by lack of time... :( but first priority now on my list of makes to do!
Hugs, Coco xx (and glad that you prepare a new travel and journey for your work, even not crafty one..)

A Pink said...

An incredibly stunning hand crafted journal! Alison Each page is a work of art and I have no doubt a joy to create. I could pick this of a shelf and look at it all day - it has a real sense of calm and tranquility. x

Brenda Brown said...

Wow, you really made this your own Alison, the finished effects and incredible cover are just wonderful. Loveeee it.
hugs Brenda xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Alison, this is positively stunning! Off to pin for future enjoyment. Thanks for sharing all these gorgeous photos.

Barbara said...

This piece is incredible! love love love! Everything is amazing, colors, details. design , cover... Barbara

Evelyn Walter said...

wow, you did such a great job! (psst.... I like that more than the original...)
Wonderful little book!
xxx Evelyn

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Such a fabulous journal. I love the overall bulk and distress-ness of it. You don't need clean slim lines. Great job with all the hand-drawn parts. I really like your scribbles! Such a fun creation!

Anneke said...

I am glad I saw one of your pages on pintrest.
I enjoyed this blogpost so much. It all is beautiful.
I can't find the right words to express myself.
It is really really really so beautiful!