I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 30 September 2016

Believe that you can...






Hello all!  It's Tag Friday over at A Vintage Journey - that lovely extra Friday in the month when the Creative Guides get to come out and play.  Anything goes, as long as it's on a tag.

As you've probably worked out by now, my travelling stash has plenty of blues and browns and book pages, but I also decided to bring some as yet un-inked stamps (as well as a few favourites) so that I would be forced to finally bring them into play.

So this tag has my first inking of one of Dina Wakley's faces.  I have them in a mini version which I got on sale when I was in New York earlier this year, so I suppose it's only right that I should play with them back here in the US again.







Apart from the new stamp, it's pretty much business as usual!

There's an inky background, made by smooshing the tag onto some inks on the craft mat.  Then I added one of my new favourite stamps (having inked it up for the first time for my Come What May pages), these lovely branches by Memory Box.













I couldn't resist adding some swirling threads courtesy of my (also previously un-inked before this trip) 49 and Market stamps.  They give extra detail and movement to the background.













The Wakley woman is stamped onto a piece of torn book page which had already been gesso'd and inked.















I used a water brush to remove some of the inky blotches from her face so that she didn't look too diseased!














The words are a Unity stamp, embossed in Bark, a lovely rich dark brown.  As regulars here know, I like giving my words that extra touch of dimension and gloss to catch the eye.












The woman is layered up over some more book page scraps (some tea-stained) and ephemera.















I used an Idea-ology Nailhead for some metal detailing to "fasten" the twine.  I've got limited metal embellishments with me, but I couldn't bear to travel without any at all.














Some inky, distressed Linen Ribbon finishes the whole thing off.













Oh, and there's some painty splatter of course.

While I'm here, I thought I'd share a few more shots of what I'm travelling with stash-wise... just for the curious types, you know.











Stamps, stencils and ephemera (you can probably see the Photobooth packet) line up against the wall.  An art journal lies in front, along with the watercolour paints you saw in action in my Rainbow Wheels.

The Golden tubs I bought when I got here, and I've found an adoptive parent who will take them when I leave (my costume designer on Romeo and Juliet).




The media accessory bag has Archival inks, embossing powders, some tissue tapes and various embellishing odds and sods in it.

I also picked up some paints, crackle and glue at Michaels with a coupon - I've yet to decide whether I try to bring them home in a month or so (the airline website seems to be pretty sniffy about travelling with paint, even in hold luggage) or leave them to a happy home here.









No prizes for guessing which mini Distress Inks made the cut...

There's also a small brown paper bag with some ribbons and metal embellishments in it, but I don't seem to have a photo of that.










It's perfectly possible to make a nice crafty mess with what I have, though I have to make sure I clean up after myself properly (I don't think the hotel staff would be very impressed otherwise).

I know it's not the smallest of travelling stashes, but who needs clothes in the suitcase?!










Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Do hop over to A Vintage Journey to see what my fabulous team-mates have been getting up to with their tag playtime... it's definitely worth the trip!

To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.
Anatole France

Believe you can and you're halfway there.
Theodore Roosevelt


45 comments:

Helen said...

I love the tag, as ever you rock the blue/brown combination! I am so pleased you shared your travelling stash - would be a shame if you have to leave the paints behind, so I hope you can work something out. I am heading off to Happy Stampers at Port Sunlight today, show tomorrow, then coming home Sunday before a week of play and days out (hopefully!)

Brenda Brown said...

A perfect 'Alison' tag with your renowned blues and browns and gorgeous collection of stamped images. Love the Dina face and how you've added it to the tag and great to see your travelling stash, what would we do without our crafty bits around us? Hope the rehearsals and build up to the production is going well xxx

brenda said...

As always a lovely tag Alison, I always love your creations in the lovely blues and sepias.

B x

Amanda said...

Lovely tag Alison, another stunner from your 'travelling light collection'
Love
Amanda x

Annie said...

I love the browns and blues Alison....stunning layers of ink and the stamps are amazing xx

TFS and best wishes
Annie xx

craftytrog said...

Absolutely love your tag Alison! And, thanks for sharing your travelling stash too. Hope you can bring your paint home!
Have a great weekend,
Alison xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Stunning tag Alison and so perfectly you of course ;)
hugs
Donna xx

Marci said...

I love your layers and of course, the blues and browns. You have used the Dina Wakley stamp so effectively! So interesting to see your traveling stash, too.

Astrid Maclean said...

A wonderful tag Alison and so very you, I think I could pick this out from anywhere as a true Alison creation.... Wonderful use of your travelling stash, loving that DW stamp and how you used it!

Hope you are keeping well and rehearsals are fun and fruitful! xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

What a beauty! Love your color combo and all the layering. I am so glad to see you're doing your part for the Shanghai economy :-)

maj. said...

Great creation Alison! Beautiful colours!!!!

Diana Taylor said...

A perfectly gorgeous tag and such a wonderful background. I really enjoyed seeing your travelling stash and I have 'Michaels' envy - I love that shop and wish we had one in the UK! Your doing a fab job on limited stash, although it looks as though Michaels is helping you set up a home from home studio!

Redanne said...

Well, I for one, am impressed at how little stash you took away with you and the impressive projects you have made with it! You always do blues and browns so well and the Wakley woman looks so beautiful on the bookpage backing. Anne xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful as always, Alison !
Corrie x

Jenny Marples said...

You are one classy lady and this Dina Wakley image is just perfect for you. LOVE your trademark colours and flora on the dreamy background xx

chrissie said...

Stunning tag with an inspiring quote. I could happily live with just the background it is so beautiful it seems a shame to cover it up

Love Chrissie xx

Nikki Acton said...

I am always taken in by your fabulous brown / blue combos - such a great background of earth and sky and you do it SO well. Lovely to see your travel kit - I think one of the best things I have done all year was when my choice was limited - maybe I should try it more often! Xxx

Paper Profusion said...

Absolutely love your tag Alison!! Your creative genius knows no bounds - not even limited resources can stop you!! How lovely that you can pass on your leftovers to a loving home too. I started watercolour classes last week and bought the White Nights paints that you recommended several posts ago - they are going down a treat so far (shame about my painting skills however!). Have a super weekend and don't work too hard. Nicola x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

You do Vintage so well Alison and those colours work and blend so well together. Love your layered backdrop and the focal image works so well nestled against those vintage tones. Hope,you have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous tag and those colours are your trademark style.
It was good to see your travelling stash, I know how hard it is to choose what to take or leave behind. You seem to have a great mini selection with you, so enjoy playing when you get the time.
Yvonne xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Sooooo beautiful! Lx

sally said...

Alison I just pop my bottles of paint in a zip lock plastic bag inside a poly bag in my case! Never had a problem in hold luggage yet (fingers crossed!) love you tag made with minimal stash :-)

Sallyxx

hazel said...

A gorgeous tag Alison.
xxx Hazel.

Dorthe said...

It is a gorgeous tag Alison, so love the colors, and had to have the stamp, of the leaves, and found it :-) your beautiful tones, hit my heart, ans the layered papers, too. So happy for you, you are able to create a bit while away, and love your little collection of materials. Hugs, Dorthe

S@ndy Diller said...

Really love this color combination as well. Sometimes old favorites are the best. Love your tag. S@ndy xx

Cocofolies said...

Fabulous Alison. What a wonderful tag... Loving the details, so beautiful as usual.
And I'm not sure at all that your "adoptive parent" will have something remaining in your Golden pots - or paints if you decide to leave them finally - to play with! :)
Well... the mini-Distress inks in your favourite colors at least, I'm sure you will take them with you!!! :-) xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a great tag!!! Great colours, great layers and wonderful disign !! I just love it!!

Have fun!!
Maria

A Pink said...

Fabulous tag! Alison Terrific background embellished perfectly with your chosen elements and stamped image. Always love oyur tags and this is no exception .
yet again I find myself sincerely apologising for not keeping up with blog posts . Same reason sadly but forever hoping for some let up real soon .
hugs x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous tag Alison. Love the way you've combined those colours. I must pop back as I can see you've been busy since I was last here. Happy crafty week, Angela x

Lys said...

A perfect "Alison" tag! I love the background and how you put each element in place, wonderful!

Willy said...

Woww beautiful!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

First, I'm so OCD that I really want to straight your mini Ink tin... Don't take that personal. Second, it's awesome you have all this stuff while on the move... Love that. Third, your tag is WONDERFUL! LOVE your colors, the foliage, the DW girl and the whole design!!!

Julia Aston said...

I just love seeing your beautifully stamped layers of brown stems Alison - you have craft travel down to an art too! Julia xx

Jackie PN said...

Oh how I do love your palettes!! This one is one of my favs!!
What a beautiful tag-love that floral stamp!

Thanks so much for sharing your traveling photos, I always pack way too much and now I have found some ideas on what to travel with!
Thanks Alison! Have a beautiful day! xx

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I do believe I totally am thrilled with this design. Your color choices are phenomenal and splendid! Love the splatters and details. Gorgeous! Hugz. ~Niki

Anke said...

Oh Alison your tag is so beautiful, I love this color combination and your design and stamping. And the background is fantastic, great work.

And great to see your travelling stash.

Hugs
Anke

Shirley said...

Your tags are always amazing Alison the attention to detail is stunning.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Deb said...

So impressed at the beautiful art you create with your travelling craft stash Alison! Love your tag, the swirls remind me of mares tail clouds and love Dina's face stamp, she is perfect on the book pages. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely tag, Deb xo

Sue said...

Fabulous tag Alison, I always love your browns and blues, and it's great to see your travelling stash xx

Evelyn Walter said...

Love your tag, Alison! The blue and browns are always a beautiful combination! And it is not easy to travel with our hobby, isn´t it?
xxx Evelyn

pearshapedcrafting said...

If I had come across this somewhere I would have recognised this fabulous combination of colours as being 'yours' This tag is wonderful Alison! Sorry not to have been around much - it was pointed out to me when I met a few fellow bloggers at Ally Pally that I am never home! We are off to Cambridge tomorrow! Hope you are still enjoying some leisure time! Hugs, Chrisx

SewPaperPaint said...

I can't believe I missed this post and this AMAZING tag! I love the circle swirl stamp you added, how could you not put them on everything! Gorgeous design here and I love your little workspace. Hugs, Autumn

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I love your traveling stash. You've done so much with it. Do you find it kind of fun to work with just limited stuff? I do but that doesn't mean I'm willing to give up the hoards of stuff I have. I love your finished tag. I don't see how you can keep going after you start. I love that first tag you showed in the process and I would have been so tempted to stop there.

Julie Lee said...

What a fabulous tag, Alison. I love the background and the stamping and book text. I've been having a great time, albeit a topsy-turvy one, going backwards through your incredible blog posts! You are such a inspiration with your travelling art stash and all the lovely projects you've been creating. Thank you for sharing. xx

Kasia said...

What an amazing background! Love it!