I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 18 September 2016

Never Give Up







Hello all!  I know I keep promising you a tour of Shanghai, but somehow I don't seem to have the time or the inclination to write a post which is likely to be quite long, not to mention complicated to put together.


If I don't do it soon, I'll have forgotten what happened back in February, but for now it's still on hold.


Instead I'm here with an autumnal tag today, featuring a woman who is entering the autumn of her life determined not to give up on her dreams, even though they haven't shown much sign of coming true yet.















For the background, I used the gorgeous new Autumn layering stencil from Tim Holtz (another addition to my travelling craft stash here in Columbus).  I blended on Pumice Stone through the stencil, and then added shadings of Vintage Photo, all over a wrinkle-free distress background.













The next layer was a Potting Soil Archival stamping of the Memory Box leaves you saw in my Come What May journalling pages...
















... and then some random stamping of the TH text in white acrylic paint.














I really love the depth created by the layers and if I'd been at home, I'd have worked out something which would have left more of the background exposed.













But with what I have with me, there are limited options for where to go next once I have my backgrounds (no die-cutting for starters!), so I at least tried to keep the collage elements pretty minimal.












I sorted through the Photobooth photos and as soon as I saw this woman, I knew she was the one for this tag.

The resolute set of her mouth coupled with the slightly wary look in her eyes told a story to me of a somewhat hard-lived life, always seeking but never quite finding success or happiness or maybe love.













I think she's been hurt along the way - perhaps she's had to buy an Admit One ticket by herself one too many times.














But there's a light in those eyes too - a clear sign of a strength of character, a sense of humour and self-knowledge.  She's not one to give up.












Regardless of age or past disappointments, she is heading into the autumn of her days with a sense of purpose.  She will carry on taking risks, exploring the paths on her own.












And if, at some point on that journey, someone should turn up to help carry the load, she will be ready to take flight into a whole new life adventure.











Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you're all having a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you soon.

There is no failure except in no longer trying.
Elbert Hubbard

Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering, "I will try again tomorrow".
Mary Anne Radmacher

Given my sombre colour palette, I'd like to play along with The Colours of Autumn at Stamps and Stencils

46 comments:

Rita said...

Fabulous tag Alison and I loved the story that goes so well with all you have created. Hope your well. Hugs Rita xxx

Amanda said...

Great tag and great, as always, back story.
Love
Amanda x

brenda said...

It's a stunning tag Alison, I love that there is a story coming through with it.

B x

Helen said...

Your tag, and the story you have woven around the lady are as ever, incredible (especially given your limited supplies!) and I love the cool autumnal shades, you obviously packed your go-to colours!!
I had a great day at Ally Pally yesterday, now hoping to play with some goodies!

chrissie said...

Very beautiful tag with a wonderful story attached to it. Maybe it is time she changed her dreams just a little and then she will be able to fulfill them. Just a thought lol

Thinking of you

Love Chrissie xx

Hazel Agnew said...

More fabulous inspiration Alison. Limited supplies eh! Maybe that's where I am going wrong....too much choice. Yummy background and collection of ephemera to accompany the lovely lady through the next stage of her life! Great! X

ellyscard creatief said...

Beautiful tag. Love the background.

Kerstin F. said...

Sooo beautiful , love your fall background in combination with smart branches and the wonderful color palette!

Shirley said...

Who knows what you might read here Alison your stories are always very enjoyable. Beautiful ghostly background for your tag with the butterfly looking as if he has just landed to have a closer look.

Thank you for your kind comments on my very sporadic postings over the summer. Hopefully back in full swing again.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Marci said...

I love that background! Even though fall isn't my "thing".

Cestina said...

My mother's favourite saying was 'Nil desperandum'....

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love this tag, the background seems almost like camouflage,

Lucy x

froebelsternchen said...

A precious tag which tells a wonderful story!
Happy Sunday dear Alison!
oxo Susi

Lys said...

A beautiful story adds to the depth of this gorgeous tag. Great message. Shangai will wait a little more...

Julia said...

I love the way you bring these vintage photos to life with your stories. This one is an inspiration. I love it.

Sandy said...

Beautifully done Alison and so full of emotion. There are so many of us that can identify with your story one way or another. I am entering the winter season of my life (by the way, I love winter) and find that I have lost a lot of leaves. But I have discovered that this season brings with it a lot of contentment. I am not accomplishing what I would really like to accomplish but hey - every morning is a new day with another chance!
I did not mean to get all philosophical on you - I know that one day we will see Shanghai with you --- sure hope you got a picture or two of the famous Shanghai Noodles!
Sandy xx

Fliss said...

What a beautiful vintage tag Alison and I love the story of the lady and how your creation all came together.
So glad you're still creating on your globe trotting adventures.
I'm still trying madly to keep up as we have a lot of family stuff going on behind the scenes and it's made my spare time very limited.
Fliss xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous tag Alison, stunning background, and a lovely story to go with your lady.
Avril xx

Dorthe said...

Hello dear Alison, I so love this card,-alone what you did with the background, is stunning.
And your beautiful story makes me smile, and love it even more. So lovely with the butterfly and adds of paper pieces.
Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs,Dorthe

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Oooh such a gorgeous tag Alison, I have my eye on that stencil too, your backgrounds are always so mouth watering
hugs
Donna xx

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous tag and a super story to tell around the image. A lovely message to many of us reaching that certain age in our lives,
Yvonne xx

Chrissy said...

I love the new stencil and the layering of the background stamps Alison with those fabulous browns..really effective..great photo and details and I love the butterfly..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Redanne said...

I always enjoy your back stories Alison, I feel a little bit sad for this lady though. I hope she meets someone nice on her journey. The tag is beautiful, I do love the new stencil, it makes a wonderful background - and I love the gorgeous butterfly! Anne xx

experiments in paper said...

Fabulous background, Alison - I love the palette and the imagery - all very evocative of the season. And, as always, enjoy your back story.... she does have a determined look to her! You put together a very rich stash for your travels - love that stamp! xxx Lynn

rachel said...

this is absolutely stunning Alison - your tag background is sooooo beautiful! Love the story too! Hugs Rachel x

sam21ski said...

WOW Alison, that background is just stunning xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Just beautiful, - great background with that leaf stencil and I enjoyed reading your story of that lady, - your imaginative interpretations of those found relatives always add such depth to what otherwise would just be yet another vintage photo. Fabuous tag!

craftytrog said...

It's a beauty Alison!

Jackie PN said...

Gorgeous as always dear Alison!! I think that woman and your words were a perfect fit ! well done!
You are so busy and even though I would love to share the Shanghai journey,it is a lot of work to write such a post!
Just keep creating your beautiful art to inspire us and I will be content! ")
sending hugs,Jackie
p.s. thank you for the explain- made me laugh!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Your colors match your photo--rather time worn, sort of dreary but still showing promise. Very nice!

Flo Langley said...

Fabulous tag. Beautifully created as always.
Take care, Flo xx

sarascloset said...

Oh, my! A dinner AND a show! Alison, your post was so touching; it almost brought tears to my eyes. But then I read your quotes for the day, and I was renewed! But your tag is lovely; those shades of browns and the neutrals really win me over and your embellishments are just perfect! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that stencil, but I've yet to see that. I think I have moved that to the top of my list! Well done, and so inspiring! Hugs!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The photo is perfect for your description of her...I can do identify! LOVE LOVE LOVE this tag!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Alison! A wonderful tag with a great story to go with it! Considering that you have limited resources I think you have excelled yourself yet again! Hugs, Chrisx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, those vintage tones real add a wonderful feel to your tag and are perfect for the imagery. Love the leaves in the background , they have great depth and shading. Really love this. Tracy x

Sue said...

This is fabulous Alison, I really like the stencil you've used, and you would never know that you had limited supplies. I hope she got her happy ending! xx

Cocofolies said...

A wonderful story and tag Alison, I adore your background and your use of this new stencil (on my wishlist!). Shangai will wait, we will read you post with delight when ready, but no urgency...
Hugs and happy weekend! Coco xxx

toni said...

A beautiful tag Alison. I love your sepia palette and gorgeous vintage style. Wonderful storytelling. Thank you for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils . Toni x

Barbara said...

Gorgeous tag as always! New Tim's stencil is fantastic and I love the neutral colors you've used! Amazing design! Barbara

Anke said...

Wonderful tag, Alison.Sso lovely.

Hugs
Anke

rachel said...

just popping back alison to say thanks so much for joining my challenge at stamps and stencils this month! Hugs rachel x

A Pink said...

Stunning! Every last inch of it . Huge love for this one! Be still my beating heart ........ xxx

Ruth said...

What a beautiful, beautiful tag Alison, adore the subtle layered monochromatic background, perfectly embellished...just delightful. Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Ruth x

Etsuko said...

Gorgeous tag!! Beautiful background and fab layers. Lovely brown colours and great depth. I adore your inquiring mind. xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Wow another stunner! I just love the leafy background here and the heavy use of browns. Stunning indeed!

Inkypinkycraft said...

Love this tag xx