I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 28 January 2017

New Lynne Perrella Part III

I always enjoy a triptych or a trilogy, so I'm back with the third and final part (catch Part 1 and Part 2, in case you missed them) of my Lynne Perrella launch collection.  That sounds rather high-faluting... it's just that I made a lot of samples because I was having a lot of fun!

I'm finishing up with my favourites, which you have already seen in the launch night post, but which I wanted to display in detail here in my online craft scrapbook, especially since the samples themselves have gone off to be displayed on the PaperArtsy boards, so this will be the only record I have left of them.

I love stories, and I love history, and Lynne's stamps are always full of both.  They're like visual poems - already captivating at first sight, with beautiful, intricate images which delight the eye.  But their complexity keeps you coming back for more - you're always discovering a fresh detail, a new layer... the stories keep unfolding.

So, we have a pair of jumbo size #10 tags (that's 8.5x4.25 inches, but only approximately, since I cut my own most of the time)...


... and a pair of regular size #8 tags (that's 6.25 x 3.125 inches - wish I could get fractions on here... a quarter and an eighth if anybody's panicking!)...


I love Lynne Perrella's women.  Their direct gaze is so powerful.  Even though my way of working is to combine words and pictures, I find I use only minimal text with Lynne Perrella stamps - the odd word or two to reflect something I've seen or felt whilst playing - because these women seem to speak directly to the viewer.  Whether medieval (as so often with Lynne's stamps) or in these 18th and 19th century versions, they are women with dignity, strength and intelligence.






For the jumbo ones, I started with some Fresco Crackle Glaze over French Roast Fresco paint.  There's Snowflake waiting to go over the top once it's dried.  It's my go-to weathered crackle combination - a good neutral from which you can head in any direction.












I knew I wanted to echo the leaves in the images with some Tim Holtz die-cuts, so I powdered and spritzed some book pages with Infusions.  For some, I used In The Navy...














... and others the Sleight Blue - such a cool combination of tones.







I stamped my images on Specialty Stamping Paper.  As you'll have seen on launch night, I experimented with various colours of ink, but in the end I went with Archival Black for these tags.  (It's pretty unusual for me to stamp in black.)


Leandra wanted us to use the Infusions for the samples but I wanted more access to blues and greens for all that lovely landscaping and leafiness.  So I decided to bend the rules and blend the two.








In places I watercoloured with straight Infusions (spritzed on the craft mat and applied with a water brush), and when I needed more blues and greens I added touches of Sleight Blue to the Fresco paints I wanted to use.















This meant that the Hey Pesto, Hyde Park, Glass Blue and Blueberry paints took on the hues and tones of our sample palette so that everything (I hope) will blend nicely once up on the boards.














I always work with watery washes in any case when I'm "colouring in" an LP image, so it's great to work with the Infusions as watercolours as well as with translucent Frescos and washes of opaques and semi-opaques.












You don't want to obliterate all that fabulous detail, so I build up the colour in delicate layers until I'm happy.












You already know how much I love this landscape woman from LPC 036 - she's straight out of a literary romance.

You remember in those Jane Austen adaptations when a character stands at the window of a stately mansion and looks out on a sweeping vista - the landscaped gardens giving way in the distance to woods and hills, and maybe even a small village?  Well, that's what was in my mind as I played with her - she delights me.












But this magnificent horsewoman from LPC 035 runs her a close second.  All those frills and furbelows, and the delightfully frivolous ringlets... but in the firm set of her lips, and in that stately plinth on which she sits, you can feel the determination and power she has.













For their skin, I used a light watery wash of Blush Fresco, and then for the additional tinting I added a few granules of our final Infusions colour, Violetta. 












I worked out quite early on that the large Movers and Shapers Shaped Arch would work well to frame these images, but positioning it was pretty dodgy given it was a tight fit.

So instead, I cut an arch out of some spare card and drew around it before cutting it out by hand.  That meant I could get it in exactly the right place and not risk cutting off parts of my carefully tinted images.













I found that you get a lovely marbled effect with the Infusions on the Specialty Stamping Paper, so I used some at the edges to draw the eye inward to the image.














You won't get this on all paper finishes - it's the coating that causes this particular effect.














I arranged my leafy die-cuts around the "windows"...















... trying to get some of each colour/shape onto each tag.















I like a sense of balance and symmetry when I'm working in pairs.














As I said, I rarely feel the need for lots of words when I'm working with these images.













Just as with the last collection of Perrella samples I made (Through A Glass Lightly), I've simply added the odd ChitChat sticker with individual words which felt right.













The kraft mounting gives everything a nice finished look, as well as providing some extra durability - important when the samples are heading off into a busy life on display.
















And I've kept the toppings simple with some twine.  No need for extravagance - it's the stamps we're interested in.














Now, finally, on to my romantic Rococo pair.

In my imagination, these two are in some leafy bower or rose garden awaiting an assignation with a lover - that's one bower and one lover each, no funny business!














This woman is even a little impatient - you can see by the clock that her mysterious lover is running late.

Sleight Blue and Violetta Infusions got me just the perfect dappled summer garden look.













These were probably the simplest of all the makes, though they did involve fussy-cutting, something I tend to avoid if I possibly can.  Worth the extra effort for these two though, I think.










I die-cut two regular size tags out of white card, and printed one down on the excess ink left on the Harlequins after an initial spritz on an A4 sheet.  I then laid the other tag down on top of it, head to tail.

As I peeled them apart, I got myself two delicately dappled backgrounds - one slightly more colourful than the other, but definitely a pair.











And although one of these two images is from LPC 035 and the other is from LPC 037, they feel like a pair to me too.

Look at those leafy flourishes and feathers in their hair, and they're about the same height too (3 inches).












I used the same paint technique as for the other pair of tags... when I added my green Frescos, I mixed them with some Sleight Blue to vary the hues.

And that heart is done using pure Violetta as a watercolour paint, as are the roses in the other woman's cap.













Some leafy tendrils wind their way around the tags...














... a kraft mount frames them, and some simple twine provides the topping.














And then there's just the odd word or two...














... in helpfully kraft-coloured ChitChat stickers.













I don't often indulge in pink, but some of the colour effects of this pairing of Sleight Blue and Violetta Infusions made me pretty happy.

So, that's your lot.  Thank you so much for your company and lovely feedback over this trio of posts - three hefty tomes, so thank you for bearing with me.  If I've tempted some of you into purchases, then I really look forward to seeing what you get up to with these glorious new Lynne Perrella stamps.  Happy crafting all!







It is not possible to find a landscape which, if it is painted precisely as it is, will not make an impressive picture.  No one knows, until he has tried, what strange beauty and subtle composition is prepared to his hand by nature.
John Ruskin

One was a lady, attired in an elegant, blue, velveteen riding-habit, with hat and feather to match, and with silky brown hair falling over her shoulders down to her horse’s croup.
From Brighter Britain by W.D. Hay, London 1882

 Come into the garden, Maud,
  For the black bat, night, has flown,
Come into the garden, Maud,
  I am here at the gate alone;
And the woodbine spices are wafted abroad,
  And the musk of the rose is blown.
Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Yes, three sets of words because in any sane world this would have been at least three separate posts!  There's one for Landscape Woman, one for our Equestrienne, and one for the Romantic Rococo pair to share...

40 comments:

Helen said...

gorgeous tags, I think these were some of my absolute favourites from the Lynne launch. Love all your "Alison" finishing touches!!

chrissie said...

Should I say you saved the best until last--not sure as I always love seeing your makes Alison but these are just amazing.

Terrific words as well and three lots in one day is fine by me

Now I have to go and see if the Lord Tennyson Maud is the same one that my grandfather had on a scratchy record played on his wind up player 70 years ago. I'll never get the ironing done at this rate.

Take care

Love Chrissie xx

Amanda said...

Stunning finale!
Love
Amanda x

Lucy Edmondson said...

Alison, you have made these beautiful new stamps even more exquisite by bringing out every last intricate detail with the perfection of your stamping and colouring. Your composition is stunning. I bought the specialty stamping card this week on your recommmendation,

Lucy x

Hazel Agnew said...

Thankyou for transporting me to a garden filled with intrigue and visual delights. How satisfying it is to use the Infusions in a variety of ways. Your ability to balance all of your fave techniques is immeasurable! X

Jane said...

I saw these on the PA blog Alison and absolutely adored them. They are wonderful and the colour choices and textures you used are perfect. Fabulous work! xxx

Dorthe said...

And thank you to you, dear Alison, for you, tasking us on this lovely tour, showing and telling about your so beautiful tags.
They are really fabulous and the Infusions, are so pretty with the gorgeous stamps. You also know, just how to mix the right colors, to create magic. The words, are perfect for every tag you made, beautiful little stories , each !!
Hugs, Dorthe

froebelsternchen said...

I am in love with all the crackle and delicate details.. so inspiring !
Happy Sunday Alsion!

Redanne said...

My first thought was that you brought these beautiful stamps to life! Your colouring is superb, the backgrounds are divine. These creations are definitely my favourites! Anne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW oh WOW...you've brought these ladies to life. I LOVE the drips and watercolor effects...gorgeous. LOVE the white backgrounds too...makes things really pop! Gorgeous!

Kirsten said...

These tags are just stunning, so, so beautiful. When I first saw them, I decided that landscape woman is Jane Eyre & horsewoman is Blanche Ingram. :-)

Barbara said...

Amazing way to interpret and use these stamps! great great works!barbara

Paper Profusion said...

Well I'm lost for superlatives Alison!! Consider every compliment and praise logged here! Those top 2 tags are my new favourites of yours!! Have a lovely week. Nicola x

experiments in paper said...

Exquisite work, Alison! You and Lynne's stamps work wonderfully together..... your tinting and use of infusions throughout are absolute perfection for these images, and the leafy surrounds add beautiful detail. Of course, I was immediately taken with your narrative - lots of romantic intrigue and personality! I love both tag and image backgrounds - that crackle is amazing and just right for these images. Bravo! xxx Lynn

Willy said...

Wowwww what a beautiful tags!!

Craftyfield said...

Fabulous tags! I love the crackle backgrounds, just the right size of crackles too. And the painted scenery of the lady... clever and beautiful Alison!

Sandy said...

Love the tags Alison -- your design work is always spot on. Great images too. Fantastic tags Alison - you have quite a following and deservedly so.
Sandy xx

Jackie PN said...

Exquisite tags and I just adore the steps and your retelling of how you created them! Bravo Alison!
hugs,Jackie xx

Annie said...

all of your tags are simply stunning Alison.......wonderful details/images. The crackle backgrounds and borders make them look quite regal.
TFS and best wishes
Annie xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

Such beautiful artwork; I had seen them at the paper artsyblog , and I thougth they were wonderfull, and they are!! you are a talanted lady ant these stamps are really so beautiful in your hand!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Inkypinkycraft said...

these are beautiful, soft , gentle and elegant - gorgeous xx

SewPaperPaint said...

I really love these samples, Alison. The LP stamps are always my favorite and this release has me drooling! Beautiful work with Infusions, such an inspiration as always. Hugs, Autumn

Astrid Maclean said...

Another set of great samples Alison, beautiful work!

Kasia said...

Oh, love your tags, Alison! They are so beautiful :)

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Absolutely beautiful Alison love the colours. x

Sue said...

These really are gorgeous Alison, I always find the LP stamps difficult to colour because of all the detail, so I shall try your 'watery' techniques next time. Your crackle background is of course fabulous as is the marbling. Have a wonderful weekend xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

These are all so beautiful Alison! Love how you painted them and in such lovely colours too! I love these stamps and know I am going to need them all! Hugs, Chrisx

Dortesjs said...

lovely creative work ;O)) i will follow you

Candy C said...

Alison, your tags are absolutely gorgeous. I loved seeing your creative process and also reading your thoughts on Lynne's stamps. I find them fascinating as well. Thank you so much for sharing these. They are gorgeous.

Julia said...

These LP images are magnificent. I loved your detailed story of how you made the samples and the finished results show off those fabulous women perfectly. I can tell you really enjoyed playing with these stamps.

Fliss said...

I'm so glad I popped by Alison as I managed to miss this post due to my eye troubles.
Your tags are absolutely stunning with so much beautiful colour and I'm staggered by the amount of detail on those Lynne Perrella stamps which show up so beautifully with your watercolouring.
Fliss xx

Meggymay said...

I am very late visiting, but have just had a lovely catch up session and I am as usual awed by your fabulous inspiration.
Yvonne xx

Julie Lee said...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get round to commenting on these wonderful 'samples'. You've really done Lynne Perrella and PaperArtsy proud, Alison. I love how your own touches so perfectly complement the intricate detail of Lynne's unique collage style. I've been tempted by Tim's 'chit-chat' stickers for ages - now I'm off to check them out. Like everything else on this beautiful post, you have used them to perfection. xxx

Cocofolies said...

Sorry for the long time taken too, though I so loving all your tags with these new Lynne Perrella stamps!!!!!
Fabulous artwork, you rocked on this post and the two previous parts ones Alison!!!! Your way of combining these stamps and the infusions + paints is just amazing. Wonderful colouring too.
Hugs again and happy Sunday from me. xx

Mrs.B said...

Just had a catch up on your PA posts, fabulous use of the stamps and so much detail on each image. Wonderful backgrounds to showcase them too.
Avril xx

rachel said...

these are absolutely stunning alison - you have showcased these stamps beautifully! Fabulous! Hugs rachel x

sarascloset said...

I'm not sure if you can hear the loud applause 1/2 way across the world, but here it is! Alison, you have totally knocked my socks off with this trio of art tags! Each set has a special place in my heart, and of course the quote to go with the Landscape Woman is my favorite set of words. Great use of the beautiful stamps and Infusions! I could really look at these delightful makes all day! Beautiful! Sending hugs!

sarascloset said...

Oops! That would be pair! :)

A Pink said...

Fabulous! Alison You have done an excellent job of making those stamps shine ! x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Great stuff! The romantic pair is best and not just because I laughed out loud at this: that's one bower and one lover each, no funny business! ANd ooh! Yes, I noticed the fussy cutting right off. You go, girl!