I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 25 February 2017

Two Tree Doodles

Watercolour time again...  After a little Infusions diversion and a quick outing for some Distress Oxide experiments, we've moved from Watery Florals to the first of quite a lot of trees coming your way.  These were doodles playing with colours and brushstrokes, just trying to stay loose and free and not think too much.  Oh, and the people are back!


The tree was the start of this little doodle, and then I thought I'd risk putting some more of my little figures into the landscape.  (If you missed the first little people, you'll find them amongst the Mixing and Daubing.)








I like the soft colour tones here - no surprise, I suppose, given it's a variation on blues and browns.  (Bah - I haven't written the colours down again - not good practice if I ever want to try this combination again.  I'll have to waste time trying to work out what they were.)














I was very happy with my accidental brook bubbling between the moorland hillocks and grasses.















And I am enjoying the tiny people - there's a delightful tightrope walk between control and chance in how they turn out.
















It's good for me not to be completely in control!















So that's tree number one.

We're still on the large 9 x 12 Canson pad, and you've probably already caught a glimpse of the second tree I'm sharing today... it's on the same page.














This fir tree is rather large.  It takes up half the page in landscape, so it's nearly 9 inches tall.

I just had a lovely time playing with the brush strokes...














... trying to keep a fluidity and flow in the paint...















... but dropping in more colours in places to give variations in the light and shadows in the depth of the branches.

















I'm pretty pleased with the trunk too, and I think I could do a similar thing again, which is after all the point of all this playing and practising.















Altogether, this was a happy page which left me in a very serene mood.  Thank you, watercolours.  Thank you, nature.












And thanks to you for dropping by again today.  I'm detouring on to A Vintage Journey next, in a couple of days, but there will be some more watercolouring and some more Distress Oxides along soon.  Happy crafting all!

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.
Alice Walker

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way.  Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all.  But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.
William Blake

I'd like to share this at Moo-Mania and More where they are asking to see something Handpainted

37 comments:

Helen said...

they are beautiful Alison!!

Laura said...

Just so beautiful, Alison! Thanks for your commentary. I'd love to try something like this! Thanks for sharing!

Fliss said...

Really beautiful watercoloring Alison. So serene and calming in those lovely restful colours.
Fliss xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your watercolours Alison, the trees are fantastic and in one of my favourite colour palettes. Tracy x

Meggymay said...

The fir tree looks wonderful and the two little figures look like they should be in the peaceful first scene you shared with us.
Yvonne xx

Dortesjs said...

beautiful water colour picture. love the colours and your trees and people ;O))

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wow you're really rocking these water colours Alison ;)
hugs
Donna xx

chrissie said...

Wonderful Alison. I think I am almost inspired to get out my water colours that have been there for years waiting for the wrapping to removed. Love the way it takes so few strokes to create something recognizable.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

You are really a talented Lady , such a beautiful watercolour masterpiece, so amazing, I love it!!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Brenda Brown said...

Loving seeing your watercolour playtimes, the trees are beautiful xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

More fabulous experiments, keep them coming!! These look so joyful and alive!

froebelsternchen said...

They look gorgous!

Neet said...

Love how you are working with your watercolours. The trees are fabulous and I am so in love with the fir tree. Love the ethereal quality of your brushwork and the colours (shame you did not write them down - something I never do either).
Hugs, Neet xx

Hazel Agnew said...

What I like the most....you haven't overworked them and the white space is essential. Beautiful playing, having fun following too. Xx

A Pink said...

Lovely work ! Alison just love all those brushstrokes and the delicate tones . Just catching up so off to see more of your posts I have missed . Apologies for my lateness .
x

Dorthe said...

Your fir tree, is amazing dear Alison, and yes the trunk is perfect, too - not that I at all should talk, I`m certainly nothing like a pro in all this watercolor aspects, BUT it looks just amazing, and so beautiful to me, and so does the other trees, and your two walkers. Love the little hill with grasses, too.
Hugs, Dorthe

Redanne said...

The colour palette is beautiful, I just love those little people and the fir tree is amazing with the trunk showing here and there. You really are doing wonderfully well with your watercolouring! Anne xx

Julia said...

Oh what beautiful, dreamy watercolour trees. The fir tree in particular is stunning. I love those little characters, you are so clever. x

Chrissy said...

Your tree paintings are just beautiful Alison..love the soft colours and love your litle people..excellent work.

Luv CHRISSYxx

froebelsternchen said...

And - oh Alison - it's a pleasure that you have linked it to Moo Mania & More!
This is much appreciated!
oxo Susi

Rike said...

Beautiful watercolor painting - it looks easy, but I know it is not! Your trees and the little people are so fabulous painted!

craftytrog said...

Clever lady! Your trees and figures are wonderful Alison!

Paper Profusion said...

Everything looks beautifully free and playful. With that fab fir tree you can be all set for Christmas already!! Have a lovely week. Nicola x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am loving seeing your painting - I took my watercolours away with me but haven't produced anything as wonderful as this! Hugs, Chrisx

sarascloset said...

I'm loving these watercolor pages! The tree looks amazing! You are making me itch to get my colors and pad out! Hugs!

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous watercolour pages Alison, so serene and a lovely colour palette too.
Avril xx

Sandy said...

Your water color pages are fabulous Alison!!! I don't know what to say -- everything you touch seems to be magic but really is your talent. I think God gave you more talent than is fair!!!! I want my fair share!!!
Sandy xx

Rosie said...

Absolutely gorgeous artwork.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Jackie PN said...

Alison, your watercolor play is delightful and inspiring! I can read a lift in your voice as you describe how you enjoyed the brush strokes and what came of them! Always a pleasure to read your posts-thank you!
xo
and thanks for sharing about your little people- they are just fab!

maj. said...

What a beautiful artwork!!! I realy love it!

Sue said...

Really beautiful Alison, such a relaxing piece xx

Rika said...

gorgeous art work!

Jutta.K. said...

So wonderfull !
I like your painting-style.
Great work

Candy C said...

I've not done very much with water color or water color techniques. Why...because I don't know how! :) But your images are so pretty and I love them, Alison. Is there anything that you can't do? I love the colors you chose; soft and airy. Perfect for water color! I'm thinking that you are a huge fan of Tim's new Oxides. :)

Deb said...

Fabulous watercolour play and love your wee people. That's what I love most about watercolour, your imagination steps in to 'fill in the blanks' as it were and scenes and people come to life. Thanks for sharing Alison! Deb xo

Marci said...

Somehow I missed this post! Your little people are just amazing. I can't imagine how you do this. I have always admired watercolors, these are beautiful!

Marci said...

P.S. The first tree looks like it has some wind blowing through it. I like that.