I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 21 September 2012

Fall into Fall



Hello all... Fall into Fall is the new challenge set by Frilly and Funkie.  I'm falling all over myself at the moment trying to fit crafting into a crazy busy 10 days; for instance, I know for sure that I can't do any for four days next week as I'm working away from home.  


I've just had two days where I barely made it to my craft desk and ended up sooo bad tempered - going to have to find a way to deal with withdrawal or I'll be good for nothing!


Anyhow, that's all by way of introduction to the piece that I really shouldn't have made - and shouldn't be blogging - past my bedtime and an early start and a long day tomorrow, but I feel sooo much better for having done it!!  


It's a tag for Fall into Fall (as though you couldn't work that out)... and I'd also like to share it over at Tando Creative Challenges where they are looking for Leaves and/or Trees just now.














The leaves, acorns and twigs are cut using the Tim Holtz Decorative Strip Die called Autumn Gatherings.  I cut them in Kraft cardstock and then had a lovely inky, messy time blending different DIs onto them.  










There's Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Aged Mahogany, Peeled Paint, Forest Moss, Scattered Straw, and probably a few more thrown into the mix!







I decided to make my background from a sheet of music, inspired by the fact that when you're learning to play the piano (as I did way back in days of "yore"), every second piece you are given to learn seems to be called "Autumn Leaves" - so it's an immediate connection for me to this very day.  



 
I used a couple of my die cut leaves as masks when I was inking the edges, so as to get the leaf shape into the background to.  



The edges are distressed with the paper distresser, and I've used Vintage Photo, Wild Honey, some Gold Alcohol Ink and Vintage Photo embossing powder round the border of the tag to provide some framing texture.

I'm afraid I can't remember where I first saw the idea of cutting a tag and tying/hinging/hanging it back together.  I thought I'd seen it at the wonderful Redanne's blog, but scrolling back I can't pin it down... I know I saw it recently over at Ink on my Fingers as done by the fabulous Hels Sheridan. 




Anyway, somewhere on my crafty travels I picked it up as an idea, and put it into action here.  Rather than cutting my tag, I added a bit onto the bottom - delicious corrugated cardboard from the Funkie Junkie Boutique.  It's tied on with natural twine.  

The cardboard is inked and painted, and the sentiment is stamped onto a tag I'd painted with leftover gold acrylic rather than throw it away.






I also used the acrylic-painted tag to provide an echo of the golden sheen of the sentiment at the other end of this tag.  I cut it with the same Autumn Gatherings die to add some really shiny golden leaves.  

With some lovely hessian ribbon (again from the Funkie Junkie Boutique), frayed a little for added texture, they provide the decorative adornments for the top of the tag.





Though I'm always reluctant to let summer go, I've discovered I love working with the autumnal colours when crafting... so now there's something to soften the blow of the shorter days - if I can only find time to fit it in!!

Thank you so much for stopping by... and I really hope you find the time to indulge in your sanity-saving activities at some point today or over the weekend.  See you again soon!

I'm entering this in Frilly and Funkie's challenge Fall Into Fall
Still at Frilly and Funkie, I'd like to offer it up for the Sunday Share
The Papertake Weekly challenge this week is A Hazy Shade of Autumn
Tando Creative Challenges are looking for projects with Leaves and or Trees as the main focus

A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.
Hal Borland

28 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

This is a very evocative piece Alison, beautifully designed and perfect colours.
Hope you are having a great week.
Hugs Brenda xox

Chrissy said...

I love this Alison.. love the Autumn leaves and acorns and the inking, love the colours and the idea of the music background...brilliant.

luv CHRISSYxx

Cestina said...


I love autumn and this is so evocative. Only the fungi are missing to make it quite perfect :-)

Claudia N. said...

Wonderful autumn gatherings, Alison!

And I have learned something about poor piano beginners *lol. No autumn leaves when you learn the guitar I can tell. ;)

Hope, you slept well afterwards!!! The lovely piece of artwork was worth doing it!!!!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

brenda said...

An absolutely beautiful autumnal tag Alison.

Have a good weekend.

B x

Inkypinkycraft said...

A gorgeous piece and beautiful colours ! Trace x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Gorgeous autumnal colours - I love the sheet music background too!
Hugs, LLJ #73 xx

Andrea Small said...

Four days without crafting? eeek! Good luck with that...lovely tag and now I have Autumn Leaves as an earworm, which suits my slightly melancholic mood today... x

Jenny Marples said...

Great job here hun. It's the time when die cuts come into their own. I keep a box with some in for emergencies (needs filling actually, another job!) Could probably do with pre-made backgrounds too... and back. Hope you do get to do some de-stress crafting this weekend as we all need downtime. Hugs, Buttons x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great autumn feel, Alison!
A gorgeous tag with lovely details.

greetings, Alie :-)

Martina said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Alison! Love all the details, you do amazing work.

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, loving all your different combinations of distress inks on the leaves etc.

Also love your use of the corrugated, a favourite material of mine!!!

Sam xxx

Ana K. said...

Stunning autumn tag Alison!

Shelby said...

Well I'm glad you stayed up past your bedtime as this tag is just gorgeous and so perfectly represents fall. Love how you've layered the leaves and the acorns and adore how you've done the bottom.

Shelby

Janny Jager said...

A great autumn tag with lovely details Alison.
Love it

Greetings Janny

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful tag, great autumn feeling. Love the use of the corrugated cardboard.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Totally lovely! Such beautiful colors and textures. And I just don't blog enough 'cause I haven't seen that hanging piece on a tag but must say I love it and how great it looks with the cardboard. Fab piece and thanks for the lovely links to my shop and for sharing at both f&F and Sunday Share. We love having you as a regular!

Hugs,
Linda

Carol Q said...

love your colours Alison. looks really good.

Ali Manning said...

This is beautiful! I love the music peeking through the autumn leaves.

Anonymous said...

You definitely captured the beauty of Autumn on your tag,those leaves are special.
Wishes
Lynne

Netty said...

Beautifully designed Autumnal tag, well worth staying up for. Enjoy your weekend, Annette x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous gorgeous!!! Love your leaves and the added extra piece! This so screams its Autumn! Thanks for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie, and I hope work life allows for creative life. We will all be here when you can return...no stress!!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Lovely tag, Alison! The music paper is such a great background. I love the edges and how you've colored all the greenery. Thanks for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie!

Maggie said...

Lovely Autumn Tag full of Autumn lovelyness

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful tag, love the shading oin the greenery. Great use of the corrugated card.
Avril xx

Carol Plume said...

What a great tag really loving the autumnal feel to it.

Thank you for joining us at Tando creative this month.

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I missed a couple of things whilst I was 'away' (hangs head) and this was one, I only spotted it over at F&F. It is gorgeous, love that die and how you have managed to get so much gorgeous colour into the leaves and acorns. Beautiful. Anne x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, love the leaves and acorns and how you've added the piece to the bottom, will need to remember that one! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x