I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 6 June 2016

A Summer Garden for Simon Says Stamp

Hello all, and welcome to an exciting day for me.  I'm absolutely thrilled to be in the Designer Spotlight at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this month.


It's such an honour to offer up some inspiration alongside the amazing Design Team there.  I was so excited to be invited, and I'm looking forward to sharing some inspiration with you for each of the four June challenges.


For this first theme, Summer Garden, we were also to work with some PaperArtsy products.  Well, as a regular contributor to the PaperArtsy blog, that's always a pleasure for me!


I like my gardens wild and natural, and that's the feeling I've tried to capture with this hanging.






(And, unlike the photo over at Simon Says Stamp, I finally managed to catch a smattering of sunshine for these pictures - there's a bit more Summer in my Garden now!)













I started with some corrugated cardboard packaging, tearing away the surface around the edges to give lots of rugged texture, and then added some sand texture paste through the Wendy Vecchi Basically Bricks stencil.














Once that had dried, I gave everything a rough brushing of gesso before dry brushing PaperArtsy Taupe Fresco Finish Paint on to the brick texture.  It's the perfect shade to tone in to the grey-brown of the corrugated cardboard underneath.
















I wanted the effect of a country cottage stone wall running along the back of the garden.














Meanwhile, in the drying times, I worked on the tag to go at the heart of my Summer Garden.  It's a regular size 8 Manila Tag, and I did my favourite wrinkle-free distress technique using Distress Inks in Peeled Paint, Antique Linen, Scattered Straw and Broken China.

Afterwards, I did blend on some Mowed Lawn too for a fresher, brighter green tone at the base of the tag.











I stamped the fabulous PaperArtsy wild flower a couple of times in Olive and Leaf Green Archival inks, and added my favourite "bird grasses" along the bottom.  (Simon Says Stamp hasn't got this set yet, I'm afraid, but it's looking hopeful - and there are lots of other fabulous PaperArtsy Hot Picks sets to check out.)

Apart from the twine at the top I decided that was pretty much it for the tag.










I started to gather up flowers and metal embellishments - most of these are by Prima.

The large flowers are from the Prima Sweet Vintage Box, but I used PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Paints to alter them slightly - mainly for the colour tone but also to give them a softer look.










There's some Snowflake, some Haystack and some Cheesecake, a sunny, warm, creamy colour.

The metal elements are almost all from the Prima Sunrise Sunset Washers Vintage Trinkets set.










I haven't altered them, although I was considering it.  I thought a painty patina would mean they could all have the same finish rather than being different colours.

But then I decided I rather liked the combination of the gold and the bronze pieces together.  And they have of course got caught in the crossfire of all the paint splatter!









The butterfly is also from a PaperArtsy Hot Picks set - there's a similar one in PaperArtsy HP1506.  It's stamped in Aquamarine and Leaf Green Archival inks and tinted with Antique Linen and Scattered Straw Distress Inks.

I chose the colours so he would tone with the tag, and maybe look as though he's just taken off from it.










There are some Prima bolts in each of the four corners, giving the whole piece a bit of heft.

There's lots of trailing ivy in my real garden - and it's probably my favourite thing, as regulars will know - so there had to be plenty of trailing ivy in this garden too.













I used Peeled Paint and Mowed Lawn Distress Inks to colour some card and then cut my ivy using the fabulous Tim Holtz Spring Greenery Decorative Die Strip.














There's another PaperArtsy stamp shimmering in the background, stamped in Broken China and clear-embossed to catch the light.
















Repeat partial stampings add some extra detailing here and there around the hanging.














And naturally I need some words - some Tim Holtz Idea-ology Small Talk stickers, slightly muddied with Antique Linen Distress Ink - and we're pretty much done.






I hope you enjoyed wandering through my Summer Garden.  If you fancy creating something similar just click on any of the product links to take you shopping.  Be sure to check out the fabulous PaperArtsy stamps and paints while you're there.


And of course there's lots more inspiration from the regular team members over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, and the generous prize voucher on offer as always.



Simon Says Stamp

I hope you'll be inspired to create your own Summer Garden, and can't wait to see what you come up with.  Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon, I hope.

I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.
From Mad in Pursuit by Violet Leduc

A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing and the lawnmower is broken.
James Dent

59 comments:

brenda said...

Well done on the GDT spot Alison and a stunning creation for it, love all the textures.

B x

Helen said...

WOW!! this is stunning- what a great piece to create for your GD spot - I love that Paperartsy wildflower stamp so much!

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous work of art Alison, the whole design of this is so pretty!, LOVE IT 😍

It's fabulous to have you along with us in the designer spotlight! Welcome! 😊
Luv
Lols X X X

Catherine said...

Welcome, Alison, this is beautiful! I love all the texture and thanks for the pics going through your process. I also enjoy that. I look forward to seeing your beautiful work all month.

Hugs,
Cathie ♥

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful dreamy and artsy garden dear Alison! BEAUTIFUL!

chrissie said...

Really beautiful with great textures. Had to laugh about the lawnmower.

Love Chrissie xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! What a beautiful wildflower meadow you've created! I thoroughly enjoyed strolling through it. Lx

Chrissy said...

Outstanding Alison..my favourite stuff to play with is the corrugated cardboard or packaging and I love the brick wall stencil for added texture..your tag and the flowers and other details are gorgeous..fabulous wall hanger.

luv CHRISSYxx

Amanda said...

Congrats on your GDT spot, lovely piece to start your month off with.
Love
Amanda x

rachel said...

wonderful - I adore the colours on this alison and all the fabulous details - beautiful work xx

PaperArtsy said...

Awesome piece Alison!!! All your trademark techniques looking totally marvellous!!

Evelyn Walter said...

Congrats on your Guest Design, dear Alison! Well deserved =)
I beg your pardon, that I haven´t been here for a while, I was a bit busy the last time, then gone for holidays and now I try to catch up everything.
But now to your summer garden: Love, love, love it!! So many delicate details! Love the stamp with the wildflowers!
Have a beautiful week!
xxx Evelyn

Corrie Herriman said...

Congratulations on your Guest Gig ! Fantastic project too !
Corrie x

Inkypinkycraft said...

a gorgeous project with so many wonderful details, love the delicate stamping in the background... and i am with you , i love the contrast of the metal against the colours x

Barbara said...

I'm really happy to have you with us this month! your works are wonderful and always bring me inside a fairy world! This makes no difference! I love your style, your colors, the contrasts that you create with different materials ... Amazing! BArbara

pearshapedcrafting said...

I saw this first on my phone but now I see it on a larger screen I can really see how delightful your garden is! I love how your layered this Alison! Truly beautiful! Chrisx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Congrats on a well deserved GDT spot Alison and oh my you've pulled out all the stops on this one, it's stunning!
Hugs
Donna xx

Maura said...

Alison, this is gorgeous! Welcome to the team for the month of June, really happy to have you creating alongside us! I love the wonderful natural feel you've created here, and the base of cardboard is such a great natural foundation! hugs, Maura

Paper Profusion said...

What a brilliant accolade for you Alison! Congratulations, it's so very well deserved. Well you have rocked your debut in terrific Alison fashion, this is absolutely beautiful. Always love your fabulous nature themed makes. Well done you! Nicola x

Macarena said...

Wow! This is so garden project. All the plants look like a live ones just taken from your garden and glued to the card. I love the pastel colors and the shabby look. Beautiful. hugs, Marzena

Mrs.B said...

Congratulations on the GD spot Alison and a stunning project too.
Beautiful tag against the textured background and so many details to look at.
Avril xx

Meggymay said...

Congratulations on your GDT spot, this is an awesome project. Gorgeous details, texture and layers.
Yvonne xx
Off now to browse through your posts i missed while we were away.

experiments in paper said...

Brilliant GDT make, Alison!! As always, love your work with these colors and nature stamps.... absolutely fabulous! I feel as though I am in your garden, ivy and all. And that wall - great addition and definitely tucking that idea into the back of my design noggin. You've made it so real here. What a great quote from V. Leduc as well! I've had a great time with this post - thank you so much not only for visual and creative inspiration, but as well that in the metaphorical regions of the mind. xxx Lynn

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card. You have put lot of effort to make the card. It has com out good. It shows your talent...

Annie said...

Congratulations on your GDT M at SSS Alison x love this project with lots of details and textures. You have certainly managed to create a stunning wild garden piece

Sending my best wishes
Annie x

Pamellia said...

Absolutely gorgeous piece Alison!! I could definitely live in this wonderful garden! Congrats on your guest spot, well deserved! hugs :)

SewPaperPaint said...

I am so so happy for you to have a GD feature at SSS! That's huge, Alison! Biggest congrats. What a lovely project to boot in my favorite substrate! Love every detail! <3

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me! Lovely creation with so many beautiful elements! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Margik said...

Alison, your project is wonderful with such a gorgeous use of the colours, and I adore the flowers and textures combination. A perfect garden design!
Congratulations on your GDT at SSS!
Mar xx

Mary Elizabeth said...

First of all, congrats on your guest design team spot at SSS. I know you've given up some of your design team responsibilities lately. You amaze me with being able to do all that you do!! Anyway, gorgeous inspiration here. I love all the texture and layers. The lovely flowers and all the metal bits are wonderful additions to this piece.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I have missed you all so much. I know what it's like to make hard decisions when time gets tight ( of course I"m not jet setting all over the world like some people I know :) ). I had to keep away from Pinterest and blogging to do all that I needed to get done over the last few months. Whew! By the way, I just missed you in NY. I really had seriously considered coming up while you were across the pond. However, I ended up going up a couple of weeks ago to be with a friend of mine who has Chiari. I introduced her to my neurosurgeon in NY and he did her surgery. She's doing great. I'll try dropping you an email to tell you about it later.

Looking forward to catching up with you some time. Hugs -- ME

Diana Taylor said...

I love everything about this, it just draws me in - I love the wild and natural feel to this, you've captured it perfectly, and the colours are just gorgeous. I wish this was my garden - I want to wander into it and breathe it in!
I've just popped over to see what I need to catch up on and I notice that I've left my comment to your last post on the post before - even I have no idea how I managed that! Many apologies - I bet you wondered what on earth I was talking about!

Julia Aston said...

This is gorgeous Alison! Wonderful texture with the torn cardboard and paste stenciled bricks - love the colors and all the activity going on with butterflies and blooms! congrats on being Guest DT! Julia xx

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful tag Alison...so much gorgeous details...so happy to have you on board...hugs kath xxx

Claudia N. said...

Very lovely, Alison!
Love how you created the impression of a secret garden in full bloom, hiding behind walls and bursting with wild flowers, roses and beautiful garden colours! x

Kasia said...

What a beautiful summer tag, Alison! Hugs!

Sue said...

Really lovely Alison, you've used some wonderful stamps and colours here xx

Almo said...

Congratulations on your GD spot Alison. Your tag is simply Stunning. Love the brick wall in the background and the depth of the trailing Ivy and flowers in the foreground.I agree the combination of the bronze pieces compliment the colours of the stamped foliage and flowers Beautifully. Mo x

Anna-Karin said...

This is so pretty Alison!! I love the background with the brick wall, and the pretty flower tag. SO many special touches here. Thank you so much for being our guest designer!

Cocofolies said...

How gorgeous Alison!!!! Love all the details and little touches here and there, the delicate shades of olive and leaf green Archival inks you have used and the natural flowers with the rust elements... The mix-up is just totally exquisite!
Hugs and happy week-end to you. Coco xx

Craftyfield said...

First let me congratulate you on your GD post! Well deserved, methinks... You rocked the theme with your beautiful creation, they'll want you back!

Lucy Edmondson said...

What a perfect challenge for you! This is gorgeous!

Lucy x

scrappallino said...

There is so much love and delicacy in this project! Beautiful details!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing collage!!! Great colours , great elements, all together a real piece of ART!!

Have fun!!
MAria

Julie Lee said...

I love your wild garden! I like my gardens wild too! The colours and the use of PaperArtsy stamps on this piece are superb. You really do capture the abundance and sheer exuberance of Nature. Congratulations on the GD spot with Simon Says. It's always such an inspiration to see your work. I'm sorry I get so behind with commenting, but I am trying to catch up! xxx

Sandra said...

Welcome, Alison! So great to have you as our GD this month! Love this piece! The color of the tag with the rustic feel of the corrugated cardstock is fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

Emma Williams said...

This is so pretty Alison and I love all the beautiful details and texture that you've incorporated in this rustic piece of art! It's so good to have you join us this month and lovely to be working with you again... Emma xx

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Alison! How absolutely wonderful to have you as our Guest Designer this month at Simon Says Stamp! I am always inspired by your blog and love your classy, clever, whimsical creations! I thought this piece was BEAUTIFUL and love how you incorporated the subtle brick texture in the background. And your flowers are so delicate! How inventive to pair them with bold metallic elements. You've done an amazing job and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Fliss said...

Playing catch up Alison and so glad that I did as this creation is absolutely stunning! The natural shades are so beautiful and the textures and attention to detail are amazing to see.
Well done on your guest spot too.
Fliss xx
PS: I have a new job from July as my current one has been so stressful over the last year or so that it's affected my blogging and creating. Can't wait for my new one!

Julia said...

Ooh, this oozes Summer! This piece is just wonderful, so much lovely detail and packed with lovely things to look at.

Lys said...

Congratulations, Alison! How I love your taste for greens and blues... Though there is here a shining sun which lightens so beautifully your garden. Gorgeous! A great inspiration for the creations I have to make now with all I gathered during this last week, so busy indeed (I was attending an art-therapy class based on Land Art).

Meihsia Liu said...

Love love love your beautiful creation, Alison. It's so great to have you as our guest designer. Your creation is always so gorgeous. Love all the fabulous details and embellishments on this piece. :)

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW I love your summer garden, absolutely stunning. Fantastic work !!!

Hugs
Anke

A Pink said...

Congrats on being in the designer spotlight! Alison
Gorgeous piece of art . Love the organic feel of this piece-those natural hues with the fresh colour tones of a summer garden sing to my inner free spirit .
x

Sandy said...

I do love this Alison! Anyone is lucky to get you as a designer - the spotlight? The spotlight? I thought you were always in the spotlight!
Sandy xx

Etsuko said...

What a gorgeous summery piece Alison. There is a gently adorable elements as you love. Wonderful!! xx

Dorthe said...

DearAlison, congratulations on your guest design.
I simply love this panel, with the wonderful corrugetad cardboard behind your beautiful tag with the wild flowers and gorgeous colors. Love the flowers, too, and little things added !!

Dorthe, xxoo

Jenny Marples said...

Definitely a beautiful summer garden! Love the hidden brick wall behind the flowers xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a lovely journey through your summer garden this post is! I like the brights and hopeful feeling of this hanging. Now I want to get some of those wee metal arrows to use for butterfly bodies! It's not my style to fuss with all this texture, paint and sprays, but I can do a metal butterfly body! :-)

Jackie PN said...

Summertime,summertime! beautifully reminiscent of a vintage summer day!! Love this piece!! xoxo