I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 12 June 2014

The Business of Men

Hello all, I'm delighted to be back with my second offering this month for the Only For Men challenge at Country View Challenges.  This time it's a mini-album created using mainly the fabulous Idea-ology French Industrial papers by Tim Holtz.


This is a photo-heavy post, just to show you each of the pages and inserts, but I'll try to keep the chat to a minimum!  You'll find all the ingredients used at the foot of the post.


The basic structure is constructed using toilet roll tubes (like some of my very earliest ever creations!).





I chose subtle, neutral papers, cut them to size and glued them onto the tubes (squashed flat, of course) to create the pocket pages.








I folded another piece of the paper, cut to size, into a concertina and cut little slits in the edges of each toilet roll tube so that the pockets would slide over the folds.  Glued in place, that creates my spine and binding.

(I forgot to leave a front page, so glued that on later!)





The outer binding is made from my favourite corrugated cardboard.  It's been painted with Distress Paints (mainly Pumice Stone) and Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint, and inked over to highlight the cracks.

I added Weathered White and Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powders for extra grungy texture.











You can still see the corrugated spine above and below the pages, as the cover is larger than they are...












... but I rather like having the mechanics on show, especially in a creation about work and workings.













So with all the pockets glued in place, each toilet roll holder or page can now hold an inserted tag.   And each tag has one of the fabulous Idea-ology tabs so that you can get hold of it to pull it out.












On the front, I've got some layered papers and the first of my businessmen photographic images.











I pressed some Alpha Parts into service for the title, and added some business-like cogs, and a financial embellishment in the form of the Cash Key.  

And when closed, the album is bound with workmanlike twine.











Here's the inside front cover...

As you saw in the photo above, the inner leaves are formed of two large workplace photographs, cut from the French Industrial papers. And I've added a bit of industrial stamping.










I've also stamped one of the brilliant Tim Holtz adverts onto some more of the paper, and mounted that in the corner.





Okay, here we go with the pages...

The first pocket has some more layered papers (everything inked around the edges, of course!).















And the adorable car from Tim's Tiny Things stamp set is perched in one corner...













And this rather dapper chap is the first of the tags to pop up, waving his Bulletin de Commande!
















Turn to the next double page spread...












You get some shameless advertising of manly bits and pieces... well, how else do you do business, if not with advertising?








And these gentlemen have clearly taken advantage of all modern conveniences to turn themselves out so smartly.

All the wealth built on the (tissue tape) machinery in the background, naturally...







Mr Paris himself pops out on the notes tucked inside the pocket.














Over the page again, we have a spread of contrasts.

On the one hand, the intellectual...









... doing all his business with wordy letters, demanding this, that and the other.




And on the facing page the honest labourers, pausing for a moment in their hard work to be recorded for posterity.














Ah... but they have hidden secrets in the pocket.  What's this that they like to do in their spare time, eh?!











Over again, and our top-hatted chaps make another appearance, slightly more in close-up this time...

(I love that the fellows in the back row are the ones from the stamp we all know and love!)











And they're accompanied by the Tiny Things top hat stamp to draw attention to their natty attire.












But it seems they too are slightly partial to breaking free on two wheels in their leisure time (I suspect they have rather more leisure time than the working men too).








Opposite them, it's bowler hats and caps taking on the top hats... a very businesslike group.

None of them looks as though he'd take any nonsense about knocking off early to go cycling!












And if this is the owner of the corporation, I can see why they can't afford to.  Would you risk rousing the anger of those moustaches?!

(He's a Found Relative, by the way - great size to go in a toilet roll!!)














And in the final spread, we have some more captains of industry...














... working hard to fulfil the order forms which come flying in daily.













There's another bit of industrial stamping round the edges, using the stamp from the Remnants plate which echoes the Commute tissue tape.



And another of those wonderful Adverts mounted in the corner, echoing the layout of the inner flap at the start of the album.

(Please don't ask me what the Philbric Electric Co are doing making the steam engine opposite... imagination has no logic!)






A quick couple of shots of those tabs all lined up, front and back...




... and there you have it - if there's anyone still with me!

Time to shut up shop and go home, leaving those Men at Work to get on with it!  I hope you'll come and play Only For Men with us this month at Country View Challenges.

Thanks so much for stopping by again in this busy week here at Words and Pictures.  One more tomorrow, and then a bit of peace before we head for Small Worlds and lots of dollshouse photos next week!


I like work, it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours.

Jerome K. Jerome

I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early.
Charles Lamb

Without ambition one starts nothing.  Without work one finishes nothing.  The prize will not be sent to you.  You have to win it.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Choose a job that you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Confucius

With the folded spine, and all those hoarded Idea-ology bits (not to mention the hoarded toilet rolls!) I'd like to enter this in the Fold It! challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

Ingredients used:

Idea-ology French Industrial Papers
Idea-ology Found Relatives
Distress Paint - Pumice Stone, Picket Fence
Distress Crackle Paint - Picket Fence
Distress Embossing Powder - Vintage Photo
Ranger Antiquities Weathered White Embossing Powder
Idea-ology File Tabs
Idea-ology Cash Keys
Distress Ink - Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs, Walnut Stain
Stampers Anonymous Tiny Things
Stampers Anonymous Adverts
Stampers Anonymous Remnants
Tissue Tape - Commute
Idea-ology - Sprocket Gears and Mini Gears
Idea-ology Alpha Parts Newsprint
Corrugated cardboard
Toilet roll holders
Twine

69 comments:

Kath Stewart said...

In a word WOW...what a fabulous story telling creation...hugs kath xxx

Shirley said...

Love this type of crafting Alison. You get to use your favourite part of the papers and to see them in a stunning album. Gorgeous make. Shirl x x

Helen said...

I confess, I had to speed read this one as I'm meant to be getting ready for work, but wow, that is a gorgeous book! Will come back tonight for a proper look, lol!! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I can just imagine the fun you had as the story grew - lots of "Oh yes" moments I'm sure! This really is wonderful Alison! Chrisx

Dagmar said...

Oh wow- it's so fantastic- all the details- let me say in german:

Das ist unglaublich- so detailliert und aufwändig gestaltet- ich kann gar nicht aufhören es anzuschauen- ein absolutes Traum-Mini Buch!

chrissie said...

This is stunning Alison and must have taken such a long time to make. So good that you share your ideas in pictures-thank you

Love Chrissie x

craftimamma said...

Fabulous pocket book that definitely takes us back to those times and creates an atmosphere of the times. Lots of work but I bet it was lots of fun to create too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Amanda said...

Brilliant Alison I just want to hold it and leaf through the pages looking at all your lovely details. A real statement piece indeed X

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous Alison, great use of those papers and love the grungy cover too!!

Chrissy said...

Fantastic Alison..and to think there are toilet rolls in there..I cant see them but I take your word for it..brilliant project.

luv CHRISSYxx

Julie Lee said...

What a fabulous creation, Alison! What I love about it is how your pleasure in crafting it really shines through! I love how each page has a story to tell about how each little 'cog' fits into the running of that grand old business! I adore the top hats, I admire the mustaches! I have to dash now, as I have spent way too long devouring every detail. Julie Ann xxx

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous Alison and so lovely to hop across and see everything that's inside - an absolute treasure trove! Thanks for sharing your SxS! Chris xxx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

First I thought it is a tag, but no way, Alison goes on and on...a stunning vintage book!!!
How can you find the time to make these gorgeous projects? Wow...thanks for sharing, a real treat!
greetings, Alie :-)

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Can I borrow your creative brain cells for a couple of days?!? Wow,this is so stunning,I could look at it for hours,how do you think everything up?!

Hugs,Donna.x

Rita said...

Good Morning Alison. What a fantastic album. Love it all, and thank you too for such a brilliant tutorial. Have a Wonderful day. Hugs Rita xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Alison......I LOVE THIS PIECE! The corrugated papers are fantastic and all those wonderful images. Very vintage.....thanks for sharing. Karen.x

Lisa Minckler said...

That was fabulous! You had me humming, "Who Can It Be Now" by the ever popular Men at Work as I read through each description. I had the best laugh at not wanting to upset the 'stache. LOL! Your recycled TP rolls for this booklet are just the tops Alison. I'm entirely impressed at how this story has unfolded.
Loved this post as much as all the rest!
I'm having the oddest craving for a Vegemite sandwich now. Yep...singing Down Under now.... :)
hugs,
Lisa x

rachel said...

stunning piece Alison with so many details - can't stop singing that old men at work song - land down under xx

sally said...

Love all those moustachioed gents! My great grandfather & dad sported efforts like some of these!!!!

Sally

Sandy said...

This is the best thing I have seen in a thousand years - maybe even fifteen hundred years. OOOPS, I am letting my fangs show. I love it Alison and I hope after my busy summer is over I can figure this one out. FAM-damn-TASTIC!!!!
Sandracula - I run with the men at work!!
Sandy XX

Dorthe said...

OH-Oh-Oh , what can I say,-this book is marvelous,dear Alison, I am speachless, ...so many pages ,one more wonderful than the other- the great papers you used, and the tags in the pockets with each a fun "handle" - WOW.
Love the outside corrugated cardboard altered to perfection with the crackle paints ,and cogs .
Not sure I totally understood the use of the toiletpaper holders, but this is gorgeous !
Hugs and xx
Dorthe

Kathi said...

Wow. Totally amazing!

Pinning!

froebelsternchen said...

a GORGEOUS project Alison.. amazing!

Cinderella Moments said...

Every page, cover to cover is divine!! It is such a gorgeous style.
hugs♥,
Caroline

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most amazing creations I've ever seen. It is spectacularly wonderful.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's another fantastic piece of art. Great booklet. Always love the use of corrugated cardboard.

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, this is absolutely fabulous !
Corrie x

Redanne said...

Absolutely incredible Alison! The cover reminds me of corrugated iron, I love this wonderful album, you have made great use of those papers. Love how you describe the whole process too. Anne xx

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Alison, what a spectacular mini album. I love grungy guy things!! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Lys said...

Now I will never watch a toilet paper roll like I used to... What a wonderful vintage booklet, enhanced by the story you told! Great!

catherine said...

This is stunning Alison and such a fabulous idea. just love it
x catherine

Meggymay said...

Awesome project. I could fill a whole page saying how fabulous this looks.
Yvonne

Cestina said...

I love this one - and am surprised and pleased you found enough lavender to photograph it in. Or is it where I am now?

And how spooky - I came across that Confucius quote for the first time today and was about to draw it to your attention!
xxx

Cocofolies said...

Wooooow Alison, your mini-book is incredibly beautiful....!!! The structure alone is fantastic, I really love it!!! And the contents with all the pockets, images and great details are absolutely wonderful. Great work!! Hugs, Coco xxx

Deborah Wainwright said...

Oh wow so much work but what a great result. Fantastic xx

massofhair said...

So good to see toilet roll books again, made a few of these years ago & enjoyed the procass very much.

Thank you for sharing all the details & stamps you used etc. Exquisite creation much loved by your commenters & me:-) xxx

Cathy L. Calamas said...

What an amazing project! cover looks just like corrugated tin which is one of my favorite things. I really love how you shoot your photos in the greenery outdoors.

Unknown said...

Genius! Beautiful work and nice storytellling, WOW. I've doneva couplecTP Roll books, but none this detailed and intriging. Thanks for indpiration!

lost coast scrapper said...

Amazing project..don't you love those papers! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

craftytrog said...

Fabulous vintage art & so beautifully photographed! xxx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Playing catch up as a saw this on my phone yesterday. What a fabulous mini-book - the cover is just stunning and what fabulous use of all those wonderful little pictures in the French Industrial Paper Stack (the ones which I don't want to cut into !!). Thanks for such great step by steps. Jennie xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

Playing catch up as a saw this on my phone yesterday. What a fabulous mini-book - the cover is just stunning and what fabulous use of all those wonderful little pictures in the French Industrial Paper Stack (the ones which I don't want to cut into !!). Thanks for such great step by steps. Jennie xx

Glenda said...

This looks like a definite labor of love! Amazing! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Unknown said...

Love the closeups of this project. The vintage colors and images , oh my…you created a really cool masculine project. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

Unknown said...

Love the closeups of this project. The vintage colors and images , oh my…you created a really cool masculine project. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

cathylynn said...

Your mini album Rocks!!! Love the vintage style and this is an amazing masculine album. Great variety of stamps and colors. Totally yummy!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

hazel said...

What a fabulous album - I love everything about it.
xxx Hazel.

Margaret said...

Oh, my goodness! i don't think I have adequate words to express how much I love this album!
Your thought process makes this book come alive and I feel like I know all of the men personally, and then there is the actual artwork that went into each page... Brilliant work!! Now I'm off to find that container of toilet paper rolls...

Ruth said...

Just catching up, love this, fantastic textures and adore the cover. X

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! - you can tell how much hard work has gone into this album. I love the cyclist page xx

Jenny Marples said...

I've always loved the way you create your toilet roll books and this is another gorgeous one. The French Industrial papers make sense used as this notebook for a businessman. As ever your use of corrugated card is unsurpassed. Jenny x

Anonymous said...

another outstanding creation Alison you really rock this style! hugs me x

Julia Aston said...

what a wonderfully creative book Alison! Love that corrugated cover and all the paints/inks on it - it looks so completely old and worn! and your pages are so fun with all the ephemera and vintage papers/images - I have to read again for how you made the pages....

Marjie Kemper said...

Such a fabulous book! Love love LOVE the cover and how many fun ways you've included metal inside.

sam21ski said...

WOW fantastic book Alison and I just love that corrugated cover, it looks fab xxx

Marci said...

A labor of love, surely. What a wonderful book! Your toilet paper rolls must be much better than ours over here. Love the cover.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a great project, I really love your style and have added you to my blog list and joined your followers.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Dianne said...

Well Miss Alison,my vocabulary is limited and I'm running out of adjectives to use on your creations, the cover had my wings flapping all over, then toilet paper rolls, I'm going to look for the big rolls here, they are just gorgeous,from you earliest creations you have been a BRILLIANT DESIGNER.. Hidden secrets in the pocket that was a fantastic idea all the extra stamping on top is amazing, if this doesn't get a SHOUT OUT for Mr Tim, I don't know what will, this is buckets full of inspiration, thanks so much for that......

creative lady said...

What a wonderful masculine mini! I love all the details. When I looked at the first pic, I thought it was a piece of metal. You did a great job! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

This is a total "WOW" for me! I love that corrugated cover...so masculine and grungy and cool. Each page unfolds to a new treasure...absolutely wonderful!Thanks so much for joining the fun at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #9: Fold it!

Kasia said...

Wow, what can I say. Your album is stunning, Alison! Amazing creation! :)

Britt said...

That is truly an inspirational project!! Thank you for sharing...especially the toilet roll bit ...lol !! Have not used them before so will have to save some to have a go!! (oh my goodness that sounds like toilet humour) Will be following your posts from now on as I love your style. :)

Gloria Stengel said...

oh my oh my oh my! This is GREAT. I love all the vintage men...ok, that did not come out right! LOL This is wonderful. Thanks for playing along with us again at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Gio said...

It's gorgeous, Alison. Such a masculine feeling and grungy style you got! The cover is striking!

Anonymous said...

Great take on the challenge! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog!

Unknown said...

Wow, you had me hooked just from the wonderful cover! Love the way you did this masculine theme so much that I'll definitely be scrap-lifting your ideas to create something similar to honor the men in my life. Love your terrific narrative, too! Thank you so much for the fantastic inspiration!

Annie said...

wonderful textures and I love the design, papers...just everything about it. TFS and best Wishes
Annie x

Unknown said...

Simply amazing art. I really enjoy the way you tell a story with your art. I've always liked mini books and know how much work goes into making them. The papers are beautiful and the men are striking, if a bit stern. And I especially like pocket books and recycling. Great, great story. I always appreciate it when crafters and designers list the supplies they have used. It takes time and is greatly appreciated. Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow truly awesome amazing out of this world stunning. Really love the crackle, the texture and each page are so individually unique. Brilliant :-) Kezzy xxx