I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Sonnet Mash Up

Hello all, for the second time today (if you've already seen What's On My Workdesk this Wednesday)... delighted to have your company here at Words and Pictures for a while.

I'm sharing a project I've had such fun making - and which has grown out of the same source as much of the work recently, but with an altogether happier process (and outcome too, I think).  So this one is for Kathryn and Bill, with great love and admiration for your extraordinary performances in A Tender Thing, which have given me such inspiration... it was a joy working with you on such an amazing piece of theatre.


I was puzzling over ways to alter tags so that I could play along with Anita's wonderful challenge at Frilly and Funkie at the moment... There's some amazing inspiration from the DT as always, including some albums and booklets, like this gorgeous one by the fabulous Stamping Sue, and having thrown out a number of far-fetched ideas, that's where I circled back to in the end.




And it suddenly all made sense as - from nowhere, as it always seems - the idea arrived for the text which might go in my little book.  It is what is technically known, I believe, as a mash-up.

In the high-school television musical-fest Glee, which I've dipped in and out of, the school choir will frequently mix together two songs which "match" in terms of lyrics or theme.  Instead of songs, my mash-up is of two of Shakespeare's sonnets.  How's that for a high/pop culture mash-up in itself?!?




So the title on the cover is Sonnet Fragments, as you don't quite get either of the sonnets in its entirety, but lines from each which "speak to" each other.

And this very combination appears as part of the text in Ben Power's A Tender Thing, as the ageing Romeo and Juliet face up to the sometimes harsh realities of getting older.




As I was working on this - over the course of several days, juggling with a number of other projects - the new Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge was announced, and provided the perfect excuse to go to town on my corrugated cardboard cover which at that point was merely painted and awaiting further inspiration.

SSSaS are playing with Rustification!




That couldn't have been more perfect for this project about the physical decay of the autumn of one's life...

So to the pale acrylic already in place, I added a layer of Ginger and Rust alcohol inks, then played with Burnt and Raw Umber acrylics, mixing them quite roughly onto the cardboard, then adding a wash of Red Iron Oxide to some areas.








I added all those colours to my stash to take part in the Andy Skinner Timeworn Techniques workshop online... but I'm so far behind with that, that I've started to play with them any old how!

I then had a play with some Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder along with a few brush dabs of Cosmic Shimmer embossing powder in Dark Bronze.  The Vintage Photo gives fantastic texture, and the Dark Bronze gives that lovely lustrous shine in certain places.  I'm very pleased with the results!



So to the inside... and apologies for the photo-heavy and long post, but I like to document these things fully - for myself as much as anything else!



The mash-up is of Sonnets 73 and 104.  We start with 73, worried about being in the autumn of life... and the decay of former beauty and youth.

(You'll need to read several pages to get to the end of a whole thought.)






The stamps include Tim Holtz, Bobunny, and Stampology, and there's some of the TH calendar tissue tape - the autumn and winter months of course...

The autumnal colours are obviously dictated by the text.







I had a lovely time with the leaves (the stamp is from Artistic Outpost) - the "yellow" ones were embossed in clear onto the manila tags, and then I stamped in progressively darker Distress and Archival Inks to get a variety of shades in my leaf mulch.



The thought is turning bleaker now, from the colours of the leaves to bare branches in the cold...





... so the colours on these pages are bleaker - the branches stamped in Coffee Archival, and the shading done with Pumice Stone - the grim gray of winter starting to take over.









And the branches are compared to the choir pews in church, but their choir of birds has long since flown...

The stamps here are Tim Holtz, and the leaves are die-cut using his Autumn Gatherings Decorative Strip Die, which I've been making plenty of use of while the autumn crafting season is on us!



Here it's cut out of some Kaisercraft music paper, and inked with vintage photo. 

I like how the leaves float over the background.







At this point, before it all takes a turn for somewhere even darker, Sonnet 104 interrupts (in the play it's Romeo stopping Juliet in her tracks).  This has always been one of my absolute favourites, so beautiful as a thought - in my eyes you are unchangingly young and lovely - and expressed as perfectly as only Shakespeare can...





The gorgeous girl is from one of the Classics sets recently re-released by Stampers Anonymous, and I just love her... I hope the regulars aren't getting bored with her!  And the deliciously rusty heart is from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  





And to complete the thought that you're just as lovely as when I first laid eyes on you, the eye comes from that same Classics set, and the girl is from Artistic Outpost's Think and Wonder set (the focus of one of the other upcoming projects - just to tempt you to return soon!).  

The inside covers, backed onto the corrugated card, aren't made with tags, but with slightly textured cardstock... it needed something sturdy to get the cardboard to behave - it was part of some packaging and had been rolled up, and was determined to stay that way for quite some time!





I wanted the outside to have a really 'junkyard' look... so as well as the rusty corrugated card, the title is stamped onto very crumpled, torn kraft glassine paper.  

That's backed onto some lovely rusty mesh, from the Funkie Junkie Boutique again, which I've frayed and twisted at the edges.  

And so that it would show up against the rust, there's a layer of distressed dictionary text in between.  I love this view of all the layers of texture, with the distressed  edges of the tag pages.  


The whole thing is fastened together with some garden twine, which is also what binds the tags inside, for a rough and ready rustic look - as you saw at the top of this post, if you can remember that far back!!

Thank you so much if you've made it this far - I know a long post can be trying when there are so many amazing blogs to visit out there in Craftyblogland, but I hope that you've enjoyed what you've seen.  Do let me know what you think, and if I know you've visited I will always do my best to return the favour.  Happy crafting for now, and see you again soon...

You can't hide your true colours as you approach the autumn of your life.
Anonymous

I'm entering this in the following:
Frilly and Funkie's challenge to create A Different Kind of Tag, with an Autumn theme
Simon Says Stamp and Show's challenge this week, Rustification
The Fashionable Stamping Challenge are looking for Shades of Autumn
Try It On Tuesday are also offering us the chance to play with Autumn Colours 
And with the rusty heart and the metal mesh on the cover, and my AO Think and Wonder set, all from the Funkie Junkie Boutique, I'm sharing this at Frilly and Funkie again in the Sunday Share

77 comments:

Anonymous said...

Captivating.
Alison I tend to ramble with my comments but I hope that one word conveys my emotions as a viewer.
Wishes
Lynne

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is exceptional Alison! From the corrugated cover, to the way you've attached the tags, to the rusted and grungy look, to the leaves in all their glory in the beginnings of Autumn, to the stark bare branches of late, to the prose of the words and phrases, and to the gorgeous images you've used...all are FABULOUS!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie this fortnight!!!

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I think you have excelled yourself with this beautiful tag book, it is quite a stunning piece. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Candy C said...

Alison, your rust inspired tag book is absolutely stunning. I really love your corrugated cover that you have managed to make look so realistically like rusted metal! I love the twine that surrounds your book. Love the "sonnet fragments" title. But then you open the covers and this gorgeous little tag book emerges with all of those wonderful stamped images and little snippets of a sonnet. Beautiful stamping and layering of leaves floating throughout. Love it! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...this is a crafting beauty Alison, you have an incredible creative mind, loVe the whole timeworn feel, from your textures and techniques to your timesless inking and colour...your postings are full of so much inspiration and ALWAYS delight the eye, superb as always...Mel :)

sam21ski said...

Alison this is fabulous, love your tags but I have to say your cover is stunning, love how you've achieved that very rustic look, perfect.

Sam xxx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

OMG - this is completely gorgeous, I love every page but particularly the one with the yellow leaves. I could live with that on my wall - seriously. You always do art out of the run of the mill, so interesting!!
Hugs, LLJ #50 xx

Cestina said...

This is simply stunning - a perfect combination of words and pictures, and after seeing (and loving) A Tender Thing it's so clear that it's a perfect tribute to all involved.

I now hasten to Sonnets 73 and 104 to admire the mash-up skill.....

Netty said...

This is so beautifully and thoughtfully put together, with loads of love and care.
Loving also all the terrific textures. Thank you for sharing, Annette x

froebelsternchen said...

this is a masterpiece .. oh wow..I love all on it ..expecially the cover looks so fab!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely gorgeous Alison, the rusted corrugated card looks just like rusted metal and I love the combination of the rusty look against the natural twine and the natural neutral olour palette of your stamping. Wonderful texture and a well thought out piece and wonderful attention to,detail which I love. Thanks so much for,joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Alison said...

A wonderful book Alison, I love the rusty cover! x

Hilary said...

well ... I'm gobsmacked. Your work is incredible!! I hit the "join" button as I am looking forward to following you as you work your art.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding! I love everything about it.

Happy WOYWW (x2 :))

Mary Anne (3)

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Amazing project my Friend! Gorgeous vintage detail, beautiful stamping, fantastic rustic look - amazing work!!! xx

Ps. Thank you for joining our Autumnal challenge at FSC!
__________________
Best wishes from Under a Creative Spell

Janny Jager said...

What a great Tag book Alison
Love every detail .
It's a real beauty

Greetings Janny

Tuire Flemming said...

This is just amazing! Love it!
Hugs
Tuire

brenda said...

More stunning work Alison, thank you for sharing.

B x

Unknown said...

Hi Alison - I made it to the end and it was a pleasure. Lovely to read and to look at. What a stunning piece. I know that the cover is rusted but I think it also looks like rows of twigs which would also fit with the theme. I really must have a go at that technique it does look fab. I was watching a video that someone had put together and they had actually managed to make a miniature plastic door look like it was rusted underneath a thick layer of old paint - It looked very cool. Thanks for sharing. Happy WOYWW to you from Helen 54 - thank you for visiting me X

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning work Alison, I love it ! The words had me gripped from start to finish and the stamps you've used are beautiful.

Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Astrid Maclean said...

What a totally stunning project Alison, that rusty effect on the cover is unbelievable and the stamping and text on the inside are so evocative, lucky recipients, - it's a true master piece!!!

Sandra said...

oh my gosh, what a beautiful tag book full with those mashed up sonnets! Love the creativity also in that! The cover is so super stunning! Incredibly done! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Sarah said...

From the rust and beautiful browns to the corrugated paper and the autumnal "mulch"...not to mention the fractured sonnets...this is fabulous, Alison!

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous. Love it!
x

HeARTworks said...

Work of heART!!! I love what you did with this! Patsy from
HeARTworks

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is just magical! Love that rusty look! Hope you can wait until Monday and I will show you my basic kit. It is usually a little plastic wallet of selected scraps, a few stamps in a cd case(or two),either a few distress markers(or as this trip whisper pens)these double as inks, packet of Pitt pens, cosmic glue and of course a journal or two! Of course I'm lucky enough to have a few things here as well. Hope this helps.. I will take photos and hopefully post when I get back.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Wow! Just wow! With every project you outdo yourself every time. The corrugated cover was the perfect touch so I'm glad that Simon Said it to get you going.

Kat said...

You've outdone yourself with Sonnet Fragments - timeless words, wonderful textures, evocative colors and stunning composition - simply lovely!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Just signed up as a follower, can't believe I wasn't already! Thanks for your kind comments, Chris

mytawnyinspirations said...

Alison, this is amazing! So much to look at and to think about. Truly delightful.

Sandy said...

Wow what an awesome book you have made full of wonderfully inspiring words. I love it , the cardboard cover with all its colors and rusty finish is just awesome. Thanks for visiting my blog already. Sandy :)

Chrissy said...

Tha corrugated cover looks like real iron, like my room..lol..love the rusty look here, fabulous pages and stamped images, gorgeous Alison..bet the pages feel nice and stiff and turn with a crunch...love that feel.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Bridget Larsen said...

I love the rustic look you have given to the tags
Bridget #4

chrissie said...

Stunning pages and wonderful text.

Love Chrissie xxx

Annie said...

Wow this is really beautiful. I get you're thrilled to bits with it.
Hugs,
A x #68

Andrea Small said...

Oh me oh my. This had me sobbing before breakfast. It is exquisite. Btw, this follower LOVES lots of pictures. I particularly like the fourth one where the white of the table (chair?) looks like snow. And what a clever use of text. Please please please may I look at it in December if I promise to wash my hands first? x

Rosie said...

Wow, this is a great artwork, love every detail

Gabrielle said...

Love, love, love this! Truly wonderful x

Jenny Marples said...

Blimey. Where do I start? Well bearing in mind the number of comments you've had so far you must realise by now that this is an incredible project. It's one of those that makes me feel just a bit inadequate (I know that's not your intention - just my self esteem issues! ignore me) The care and attention you lavish on projects never fails to amaze me and this is undoubtedly heading for some well deserved awards - you never know, Sir Tim may have reason to pay another visit! Hugs and complete admiration, Buttons x

Anonymous said...


Ich fall um, so schöööön ist das!!
A really great artwork!!

Lg siljan

Andrea said...

wow this sis fab i adore the vintage look and one day would love to give it a try your work is amazing and you are and inspirational the attention to detail in each page is fab a true work of art
x

Nan G said...

Wow Fabulous Awesome...love the bits of sonnet and how the pages give one a visual link. And the rust is....well...so cool...amazing! I'm a blog stalker and had to comment today! Thanks for all your inspiration!

zandra said...

Love working with corrugated cardboard. Your tags are fabulous and the mini turn out great!
Hugz, Z

Bonnie Irvine said...

This post was not trying in any way. It was fabulous. This project is so gorgeous and creative, so rich in detail and texture. An absolutely wonderful work of art. Love the concept of the conversation between sonnets and the way you chose to showcase that interplay is so cool. Glad I stopped by.

Lisa Minckler said...

Alison, your works make the world a more beautiful place. Love seeing your mind layed out in these creations. Gorgeous job yet again.:)

Terry said...

Oh Goodness! I went back through this a couple of times, because my eyes were just so happy! This is rustic gorgeous at it's best. I love every page! I think I will have to look into this Andy Skinner class, because I have now heard about this three times! Love this and thank you so much for playing along with FSC and Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

Ali H said...

What a stunning project - it is absolutely beautiful both in execution and in it's spirit - you have made a stunning job ! thanks for sharing this inspirational project Ali x47

Meggymay said...

An awesome project, so many details and wonderful things to look at. Thank you for sharing it with is at TioT's this time.
Yvonne

Shelby said...

Another beautiful piece of artwork. Love the combination of the written word and imagery! Well done

Shelby

Claudia N. said...

One of your best projects ever, Alison!

This is artwork as it should be - thought- and meaningful. Set together with great care and the urge to express one's inner thoughts. This is woven deeply into your lovely tag-booklet and speaks its' own language from every single page. It's like a lovely song to me - getting more and more intense. Lasting long after its' last note.

Wishes,
Claudia xxx

Anonymous said...

Alison I return this time with my FSC hat on.
I love your use of textures. You handle them so professionally that the have such a delicate appearance to them, almost a sense of fragility.
Such a beautiful concept.
Thank you for sharing with us at FSC.
Wishes
Lynne

Angelica said...

Great work!!
I love the effect of acrylics on the corrugated cardboard

Esther said...

Oh my goodness what an amazing project, fabulous concept to use the sonnets and just beautiful creativity..love it and thank you so much for sharing with us at FSC.. Esther xx

Anonymous said...

such yummy texture!!!

Pia said...

OMG what a beauyiful tag card, love all great details. Good idea.
hugs Pia

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison - what can I say - the whole booklet is just breathtakingly beautiful!
So much detail, and so many textures all in one small piece. Just Love it.
Also, thanks for sharing with us at FSC
Avril xx

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Oh my goodness! This is just so spectacular. One of my favorite pieces I have seen in a long time!!
I love that you share your though process on the text you picked from the sonnets. Love the idea of the mash up.Makes me very happy. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog, too.

Marjie Kemper said...

Girl, you give stamping a good name! Wow, this is totally stunning. I love each page. Thanks so much for joining us at Frilly & Funkie!

Julia S-W said...

Simply stunning and it is a pleasure to read your posts so don't apologise! I love the stamping, the rusted cover is superb and if I go on listing everything I love, I'll be here all night! Amazing project Alison - you should be very proud.
Juliaxx
sorry my comment is late!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

What an incredible masterpiece you have created. A feast for the mind and senses with your exquisitely interwoven quotes and images and rusty textures...it all just leaves me gasping. Thank you so much for sharing it with us for the altered tag challenge as well as Sunday Share at Frilly and Funkie.

Hugs,
Linda

My name is Cindy said...

Wow! What an amazing piece, so different. Thanks for joining us at TioT this week. Cindy

Anna-Karin said...

This is amazing Alison! Love your idea behind the whole thing and how you translated it into the different pages. Wonderful stamping and use of colour and the covers are just perfect. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!!

Annie said...

Oh Alison, this has to be the most fabulous creation of yours so far
( and they are all amazing) This book is fabulous and depicts the hours of work you have lovingly put into it. I am sure you will do very well in all your challenges.

Hugs

Annie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful, wonderful work Alison, I don't know how I missed this (actually I think it was a hospital day). I just love the rustic feel and all the effects. You have achieved a beautiful book full of fabulous words from your mashed sonnets, I love it.
Thanks for sharing this at FSC, shades of Autumn.
hugs {brenda} xox

Silvia(Barnie) said...

You see me speechless, an outstanding creation again. How cool. Love the use of the corrugated cardboard and all the other details. Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge.

Ellie Knol said...

WOW! Everything on this is just gorgeous!

Bärbel said...

Was für ein großartiges Werk mit so vielen liebevollen Details, ich bin begeistert!

Ephemera said...

Hi Alison, this is truly inspirational and so very beautiful, a rare and precious gift, thanks so much for sharing with us at FSC. XX

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this. Another stunning piece Alison.
Regards Florence x

Jenny Marples said...

Well done on your well deserved top 3 at SSS&S. You're a star! Hugs, Buttons x

Claudine said...

I have one word....Beautiful!!!!

Maura said...

Congratulations at SSS! I love how you used the cardboard for your covers. Such a great altered album!

mark gould said...

Congrats on the ssss win for this, a beautiful little tag book with so much thought, great mash up of the sonnets x

Leoni said...

Hi, Congratulations to the top and is pleased to meet you! Amazing vintage work :) I do like your blog!

maria f. said...

Wow is this gorgeous.

Fliss said...

An absolutely stunning creation Alison. The textures are fabulous and each page a work of art. The poem is such a beautiful addition too.
Thanks for joining our Autumn challenge at FSC and wishing you good luck.
Fliss x

Lessa's Lacquers said...

Hi Alison! I've been following you for a wee while but only now have put pen to paper(!) I adore your work and it has inspired me to revisit Shakespeare . Like you, I've been craftily inspired only latterly with forays in throughout the years. Haven't posted anything tho as I'm too into I dated by gorgeous work such as yours! You are highly talented, your work is stunning, you are truly inspirational in your textural painty inkiness with fabulous wordplay. Thankyou thankyou thankyou!