I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 31 March 2017

Wallflowers






Hello all!

It's a Tag Friday at A Vintage Journey today - that extra Friday in the month when the Creative Guides get to just play with a tag, and here's mine.

I actually made it more than a month ago, when spring was still just a dream... and I think that's what I was dreaming of.

In fact, the making-of went back even further than that.

I stamped the flower heads in a watercolour journal some time last year, so that I could practise some watercolouring with them during my travels.
















In the end, I didn't get around to colouring them in until January when I used them to explore some of my new watercolour paints bought in the sales.














And then I didn't think of putting them on a tag until February... so it seems right after all that time that they had to wait that little bit longer before appearing on the blog!














The background is one of my brick walls... getting in training for some more dollshouse work, I suppose, though really I'm supposed to be trying to tackle dollshouse dolls for the Tudor Tavern this time around.















Personally, I'd rather be making brick walls and wooden beams and floors than dolls, I think... we'll see.  I'll be sure to update you with any progress I make.















This wall is made with texture paste through a stencil, with some weathered areas of book page text.














I gesso'd over the whole thing and then set to with some paint layers to build up depth and texture.













I wanted to keep to a pale stone look so that my reddish-tinted flowers would stand out nicely against it.















Yup, not quite sure where the urge for the warm peachy reds came from - it's a rare colour around here at Words and Pictures.














I was just experimenting with some of my new colours - taking them out for a spin.














They were just flower heads on a notebook page, so no harm in a bit of red, eh?















Who knew they'd end up taking pride of place on a tag?!















Thank goodness for the Thinlits dies... you'd never catch me doing all this fussy-cutting I'm afraid.














I do find it pretty amazing that you can even cut the stems.  Technology is a wonder!













I love the poppy, but the coneflower remains my favourite of these flowers, I think.
















It's certainly the one I've played with most often.















And there's another trio of them here...















I kept the rest of the tag pretty simple.  An Idea-ology QuoteBand provides the words...














... attached with twine, both regular and fine.

And of course there are some more words hovering in those book pages in the weathered wall.















There's some more twine at the top to complement it.








But really, it's those watercolour blooms taking centre stage, all layered up with foam tape for plenty of dimension...


... though I will admit to being rather fond of my wall too.  And you'll have spotted that I was unable to resist adding some of my favourite dried flowers to the bouquet.




I hope you like my wallflowers, and I hope you'll find time to hop over to A Vintage Journey and see the fabulous time my team-mates have been having with their Tag Friday creations too.

You've just got a few more days to join in with our anything goes 3rd birthday challenge, so "All Aboard" everybody.  Hope to see you somewhere en route.





Romance and poetry, ivy, lichens and wallflowers need ruin to make them grow.
Nathaniel Hawthorne

It's ages since I've played along with the Stampotique Designers Challenge.  They're looking for a Text Background this week, so with my subtle book text wall, I'd like to share this there
Another place where I've missed being able to play is Try It On Tuesday.  The current theme is Botanical - how perfect
And they're looking for Foliage and Flowers at That's Crafty Challenges - well timed!
And with my well-splattered wall, I'd like to play along one last time with Splatter Some Fun at Emerald Creek
As usual, Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes over at the Love2Create challenge blog

52 comments:

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful layered spring bouquet Alison! It looks lovely against your wonderfully textured white brick! Julia xx

Helen said...

your tag is gorgeous, the water colouring beautiful, and I love Tim's flowers and dies that have taken you into rare colour territory!! you should go there more often!

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful watercolour flowers Alison, they've had quite a journey but look magnificent on the textured wall. Spring has sprung xxx

chrissie said...

A very beautiful tag Alison and what could be more striking than flowers in bloom against a white wall.

Love Chrissie xx

Dortesjs said...

This is fabulous, beautiful colours and great texture

Amanda said...

Beautiful spring bouquet and I love the red. I have just made a piece (not posted yet) and I don't have the dies so I had to fussy cut lol
Love
Amanda x

froebelsternchen said...

Spring has sprung! A wonderful tag - the watercolour flowers are so well layered - a dream!

chrissie said...

Back again to have a second look and thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am happy that these flowers waited for Spring - this is a truly wonderful tag! I love this flower set that is still on my wishlist!!! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs, Chrisx

Marci said...

Stunning! This tag just gives me a happy feeling, I love it.

Redanne said...

The brick wall background is superb, I love that you kept it neutral, the flowers look so beautiful on top. Your watercolouring of the flowers is wonderful! Anne xx

A Pink said...

Fabulous tag! Alison The brick wall (LOVE) is a superb backdrop for you gorgeous bunch of flowers. A wonderful nod to spring.
x

froebelsternchen said...

WOW! Great to see you at Try It On Tuesday Alsion! Super!

Karen Petitt said...

This is so beautiful Alison, I saw it over at AVJ and had to come take a closer look, it's stunning xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Such a beautiful tag Alison,love the brick wall effect too. So happy to see you over at TC too ;)
Hugs
Donna xx

Gitte said...

Beautiful.

S@ndy Diller said...

Your tag is fabulous and the flowers are so, so beautiful. What a nice way to bring the joy of spring to a February day. Hugs, Sandy

Jennie Atkinson said...

Your watercolour flowers are just beautiful Alison and the crackled brick wall just the perfect foil for them. I love the journey your tag has had as well! Gorgeous. Have a great weekend x

maj. said...

What a wonderful creation! Beautiful flowers and the background is absolutely stunning!

Fliss said...

An absolutely beautiful bouquet of Sir Tim's lovely flowers Alison, beautifully coloured and your brick wall background is a fabulous backdrop for it too.
Thanks so much for sharing it with us at That's Crafty's challenge and lovely to see you there too.
Wishing you loads of luck and thank you for your kind comments.
Fliss xx

Meggymay said...

The water coloured flowers look gorgeous and it is a fabulous textured tag.
I had to smile when you said you hadn't fussy cut them out, it does make things easier with die cuts. Thank you for also calling in and sharing this beauty with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Sandy said...

Really gorgeous Alison - I don't often see you use so much color but when you do I fall in love!
Sandy xx

Chrissy said...

Well, I must say that I do love the warm peachy colours Alison..I love the browns greys and all things earthy, but there is something about peachy pinks that scream Spring..I love the brick wall texture,metal tag and string/twine..really beautiful..

Luv CHRISSYxx

G Peplow said...

Gorgeous tag, love your flowers :D Thanks for joining the Stampotique Designers Challenge

Hazel Agnew said...

I'm sure that we all need a little ruin in our lives Alison. What a wonderful cornucopia of gorgeousness. Love how this has developed over time, combining some of your favourite elements. Even your bits of twine are just perfect. When are you going to conduct some online classes? That would be just perfect. Tag envy is in da house! Xx 😜

Dorthe said...

Hello Alison, such lovely tag, your bouquet so beautifully colored, and the gorgeous background you created, with the ever so wise quote. You always inspire me, with your wonderful art, dear. P.S. I would love to see the doll house dolls when you start them- being a doll maker, it is so interesting to others, bring little dolls to life ! xx

This N That said...

Wow! This tag is stunning! The colors and textures are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Stampotique!

Jackie PN said...

Amazing and simply beautiful Alison!
Your work with reds is very pleasing- glad to see you continue to experiment with new colors(for you)
hugs and happy weekend
Jackie

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous tag, I love the brick wall background.

Sue said...

This is really beautiful Alison, I love your textured brick wall and the flowers are stunning! Have a fun weekend xx

sarascloset said...

OK, Alison, so this is my ABSOLUTE favorite of yours! Ha! Ha! I say that all the time, don't I? Really, though, the brick wall has my jaw hanging open and those watercolored flowers are incredibly breathtaking! I thought to myself as I was scrolling down and reading your words (yes, I always read the posts, especially yours!) "Now that is a lot of fussy cutting!" Ha! Lucky you to have the Thinlits! Didn't even know they existed! Since I don't have the stamps, I think I might have to check this out to see if it comes as a set and save up for them. Pinning this to my Absolute Favorites, but I'd pay high dollar for the original in my hands! Sending sunshine and hugs!

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow, ❤❤❤ this wonderful tag, it's amazing.
Julie x

Astrid Maclean said...

This is so gorgeous Alsion, I just love how the flowers look so alive stunning tag, love it!

Nikki Acton said...

Your flowers have waited a long time to bloom - but the wait was worth it! Gorgeous tag and the colouring is fab. Love, love, love your wall!

Diana Taylor said...

Utterly gorgeous - and in my favourite colours - in most aspects of life I lean towards the warm reddish colours. This is just perfect and I love the brick wall background, and your water-colouring - it's all very beautiful and summery.

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful tag Alison, the flowers look stunning against the brick wall. Well worth waiting for.
Avril xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful ! Thank you for joining us over at Stampotique !
Corrie x

SewPaperPaint said...

While this is not your typical palette, I adore your work! Springy and luscious! Hugs, Autumn

Deb said...

Just gorgeous Alison, I adore your watercolour flowers and the coneflower is my favourite as well, must get the coordinating dies for these fabulous stamps! Love the texture on your background and although this may not be your usual palette you have showcased these lovely colours perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing it and also for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares! Deb xo

Pammejo said...

Lovely project, thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Dare Challenge Blog.

Etsuko said...

How beautiful it is a bouquet devoted to spring Alison! Fabulous water colored flowers. xx

Julie Lee said...

Such a beautiful, spring bouquet: I love the water-colours and those delicate stems! The brick wall with its texture and text is the perfect background. I've been finding it difficult to get around to blogs in recent months, but it's been a breath of spring air to visit today. Sorry it's so late!

Cocofolies said...

Wow, wow and WOW!!!!
I simply adore your tag, to bits.
So pinned this one two times, on two different boards.. My favorite tags by others than me, and my Tim Holtz inspirational board. Well, aftethought, I could have pinned it also on my Watercolour gallery!.. :-)
Happy week-end dear Alison, and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog too tonight as I know you are very busy too. (and of course, I know which canvas you prefer! :D xx

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! This is stunning! I love the bunch of watercolor flowers in the middle.
Kate

Jenny Marples said...

Your cleverly entitled wallflowers welcome in the warmth of Summer and show how delicate textures and layers can really add to the look of these beautiful flowers. A wonderful tag xx

Tera Callihan said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Thank you for Joining us over at the Stamptotique designers Challenge!

Barbara said...

Love your use of these unusual colors! I adore the background and flowers are stunning! Barbara

Julia said...

This tag is outstanding. I love the watercoloured flowers tied up against the brick wall. Great tag!

Sam & Poppy said...

Beautiful
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique :)

Jools Robertson said...

Beautiful! Gorgeous colours and textures
Thank you for joining the Stampotique Challenge

Jools x

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, I love it.

Hugs
ANke

Kathi said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning tag with so much lovely texture and amazing details.

Thanks for playing along with us at Stampotique Designers Challenges!