I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 25 June 2015

Off to the Coffee House





Hello all, and welcome!  I thought it was time we had something other than a sneak peek here at Words and Pictures.

Design Team work is pretty much all I've been able to squeeze in, but - with a hundred and one other things I was meant to be doing - I grabbed some time to riff on Tim's fabulous June tag.

I don't have the coffee cup die Tim used, but I have created a Coffee House.  "What makes it a Coffee House?", you may well ask... read on and all will be revealed!

Apart from the choice of die, I've followed Tim's inspiration pretty closely.  (All his making-of details are here - much the best place to find out how to do it all.)  I've used lots of different materials in the cutting machine, and have adapted the other ingredients he included to suit the house instead.





I had a lot of fun with the background although I had to improvise a touch with how I did it.  I plan to get some of the blank ink pads, but don't have them yet so instead I used the mini Distress pads to ink up my stencil for printing.

I was working with a larger size tag to give the house enough room, so I had to line up my printings pretty carefully.

I do love using the new Distress Spray water spritzer... it really does make it easier to create gorgeous spatter effects, though sadly they've mostly disappeared under my blue-green tartan.











So here's one thing which makes this a "coffee" house - the corrugated roof is cut from...













... yup, a cup holder from a certain coffee seller - recognise it?!













I used acetate behind the windows, and so that it would show up better, I tinted it with various shades of blue alcohol ink (Denim, Cloudy Blue and Stonewashed are all in there).











There's another coffee ingredient in the tinting of the metal elements...

Both the Muse Token at the top and the flowers have had a touch of Espresso Alcohol Ink along with the Mushroom.











I also borrowed the idea of the twine used on Tim's tag to wrap the coffee cup and deployed it instead as my flower stems.  They're growing out of a grassy lawn which was made as Tim made his circular coffee badge.













And I've even used a straw, as Tim did, though mine is playing the role of guttering and down pipes.  I painted the straw with Distress Paints - first Salty Ocean, then Faded Jeans and then a hint of Brushed Pewter for a metallic sheen - and then trimmed it to fit.











At the bottom, since I don't have the hashtag stamps, I've used one of the Simple Sayings on my banner instead.













So there you have it... finally, something other than a sneak peek - though I do thank you if you've been dashing all over Craftyblogland in search of my creations.  Your visits and comments are so much appreciated.












If you missed my Flourishing Butterflies over at Calico Craft Parts, I hope you can check them out... and I wouldn't want you to miss my Butterfly Blogaversary Candy - just leave a comment there before the end of June and I'll put your name into the hat.  Do come and celebrate with me!

For now I'll love you and leave you, and hope to see you soon.

I like coffee because it gives me the illusion I might be awake.
Lewis Black

Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.
Anonymous



I'd like to enter this as my June Tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2015
And I'd also like to play along with Housey Housey at That's Crafty Challenges

61 comments:

Helen said...

Great tag, Alison! I love your straw downpipe/guttering!! The quotes are funny too. Have a great rest of the week.

barbarayaya62 said...

So original! love your interpretation of Tim's tag! Wonderful as always! Barbarayaya

Inkypinkycraft said...

great tag ..love those little flowers ! xx

Vintagehandmade said...

Absolutely original idea! I LOVE your take on Tim's June tag, Alison! Oh, what a clever idea to use a straw on your amazing coffe house! Brilliant make and I love every single detail here!
Branka xxx

Kath Stewart said...

love your take on Tim's Tag and wow what a great idea to use the straws for guttering...hugs kath xxx

Etsuko said...

Oh! This is great idea! This tag is perfect and warm feeling Alison, love it. xxx

chrissie said...

Wonderful tag with great ideas. Only you would have thought of using the holder and the upside down cup..

Love Chrissie xx

Rika said...

Gorgeous tag, love howe you created the flowers.

Annie said...

A fabulous take on Tim's tag and the Rickety Coffee House looks amazing. Great details, particularly those flowers Alison.

Huge Hugs Annie xx

Unknown said...

This is super cute!

craftytrog said...

Love that recycled roof, gorgeous tag Alison! xxx

Cestina said...

Oh yes! Coffee - and a little house. What more could one want in life?

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
T. S. Eliot
xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a clever take on the original Alison, love you have used some of the same elements and turned them into something totally different, - the straw drain pipes are inspired... :o) The flowers are so clever too!

sally said...

I love the improvising that you've done for thus one Alison! It's always nice to know that others don't have all the stuff Tim uses lol.

Sally

Lauren Hatwell said...

Oh no! I already have a bit of a thing for those wooden coffee stirrers (so handy for crafting) and NOW I'm going to be eyeing up coffee cup sleeves too.... I feel a Restraining Order coming on!? :oD Great take on Tim's fab tag. The coffee house is inspired. Love those cute flowers too. Lx

Neet said...

Love your interpretation of this tag and do like it when people put their own slant on it - makes it much more interesting to see. Love the corrugated usage and the colours - in fact - just plain and simple love it!
Hugs, Neet xx

Paper Profusion said...

So so clever Alison. Your imagination and creativity know no bounds. Terrific in every detail! Nicola x

Hettie said...

Fabulous Alison. I will go for a coffee with you anytime!!
This is absolutely fantastic. Love it.
Hugs
xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Genius! What an inspiration this is - I suspect you may have started a coffee addiction and that certain company will have some more customers! Chrisx

Amanda said...

Well what a fabulous take on Tims tag, the house looks fab!
Love
Amanda x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Totally clever take on Tim's tag this month, Allison. Love the coffee house idea, especially the corrugated roof made from the Starbuck's cup holder :) Your whole approach just made me grin and started my day off like a great cup of coffee. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Linda

Jackie PN said...

I love that you used the coffee cup holder for your house! So clever Alison!
How do you do all that you do and still stay sane? Yes, coffee does help, but what else- let me in on your secrets please! ") xoxo

rachel said...

I love this - brilliant idea to make your own coffee house Alison - great background too - fabulous xx

Nan G said...

Very cool...rickety house has never looked so Good! Fab tag, butterfly. Hugs

Candy C said...

Your take on Tim's tag is darling! Only you would be so clever to create a coffee house from Tim's rickety old house! Cute plaid background. Love the colors you used.

Sandy said...

Okay Alison - now you are entering my favorite fantasy world - little houses for little people. And of course they need a coffee house. I love this and will definitely try to steal this idea. And of course I will give you credit. Alison who? Would this be fantastic in an art journal or what! A whole art journal full of fantasy houses and lots of texture. I love this make Alison!!!!! I will be back in touch -
Sandy xx

Pamellia said...

Awesome tag Alison! I love that you used part of an actual coffee cup to make your house, hilarious and genius! Great take on Tim's tag! hugs :)

Gio said...

Amazing! Your interpretation is just brilliant, I would love to have a tea at such a lovely coffe-house!

Marci said...

Love it!

Julia Aston said...

what a fun version of Tim's tag Alison! love the Coffeehouse and fun drain pipes! Julia xx

Deborah said...

Love that background - reminds me of Chanel tweed. Good luck in the That's Crafty! draw x.

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic Alison.. This is stunning and clever in every little detail! Fab!

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Absolutely brilliant Alison, such a unique take on Tim's theme and I think another winner for you ;)
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Dorthe said...

The sweeetest coffehouse tag dear Alison- so much wonderful details, with the straw, the twine and flowers,-funny with your coffee roof and expresso tinting :-)
Hugs, Dorthe

Lisa Minckler said...

I apologize immensely for my lack of visiting. I've been lost in my world and not been on the computer for fun in forever and yet I have to thank you for finding time to visit me and leaving such nice words. So, Thank you Alison. Now that I've super glued my ass to the chair and made certain that today is for visiting, I had to come to your glorious blog to see what I've missed. I happen to be consuming large quantities of coffee currently so this is perfect!!!
I love your ways of recycling and bring such life to anything you touch. Here I go to see what else I've missed.
big hugs to you,
Lisa x

Unknown said...

AWESOME!! This is a Fabulous interpretation of Tim's June Tag, Alison! Just the fact that you used a Starbucks corrugated cozy, should make this a WINNER!! :) :) We all know how much Tim loves Starbucks!! Good Luck at the challenge!! XOXO-Shari

Corrie Herriman said...

Your tag is gorgeous ! I still have to do mine ! Not much time because of DT work and vacation coming up.... Help !
Corrie x

Shirley said...

Recognise it!!!!! .... it is my fave coffee house, sadly very lacking in Ireland. Not being typically British (hate tea) Starbucks is my first port of call when back in the UK.

Great take on T's tag.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your take rocks! LOVE the house out of SB scrap, and love those industrial flowers! Gorgeous!

Mrs.B said...

Such a fabulous Coffee house Alison, the SB roof is a brilliant idea. Love all the details.
Avril xx

Chrissy said...

WOW!! Awesome Alison..love the colours in the background and your coffee house and details are fabulous..right down to the guttering and downpipe..brilliant.

luv CHRISSYxx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic tag, love how you made the roof for your coffee house.
Yvonne xx

Jenny Marples said...

That is SUCH a clever twist! LOVE the guttering and those steampunk flowers. Sending hugs. Jenny x

Redanne said...

Fantastic improvisation Alison, I love that you used the rickety house and turned it into a coffee shop - clever girl! This is such a great take on Tim's tag and you did a brilliant job matching up the plaid! Anne xxx

suzieq23 said...

Always fun to visit your blog and get some great inspiration for my own art creations. Happy 3rd Anniversary. suzschultz23@aol.com

Anke said...

Fabulous, Alison. Stunning and so clever, I love every detail.

Hugs
Anke

Kay Wallace said...

Love your June "Tim Tag," Alison! Great improvisation on the background technique. Love your metal flowers, too! Good luck in the June pick by Tim and Mario!!

Tindaloo said...

awesome tag, great details! :)

Unknown said...

Wow what a tag!! Love the detail, especially the drainpipe, just adds to its character. And some quirky flowers just add extra interest, amazing and creative take on tim's!! xx

Cocofolies said...

Oh Alison, this is a fabulous version of June Tim's Tag!!! I love this rickety house and the way you put acetate behind the windows (love the idea to ink them a bit!), also your little flowers are fabulous!!! Hugs, Coco xxx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Such a creative make...unique details again Alison!
Enjoy the weekend, Alie

Cinderella Moments said...

It's incredible! How cute would this be on a gift! You are so creative.
hugs♥,
Caroline

Ruth said...

I'm so enjoying seeing everyone's innovation with this months tag, This is a brilliant take Alison, love the use of the straws and it's a beautiful coffee house! Ruth x

Terry said...

Are you so clever, Alison! Love your take on the June tag and the house is the perfect cup replacement, which I do like much better! Love the colors! Happy Sunday!

Artyjen said...

Love it, love it! :)
xoxo Sioux

Unknown said...

My my my my my.... I just looked at all this month's tags on Tim's blog and I have to say - this one is one of the most ingenious ones there Alison. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Such GREAT ideas... so perfectly made into a FABULOUS example of creativity. Wow... sooooo INCREDIBLE. j.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Three times wow, that's an amazing creation, fabulous color scheme and more :)

Margaret said...

Your coffee house tag is a wonderful interpretation of the original tag! Using the corrugated sleeve as the roof was such a nice touch too! Another fantastic creation!!

Kirsten said...

Such a cute tag!

Mary Elizabeth said...

First ... let me say that I adore your quotes at the end. It's why I love your blog so much. There is such a richness in the words as well as your creations. Ok ... I am over the moon with this project. Love your coffeehouse. The use of the twine for those adorable flowers (the centers are soooo cool). Then there is the use sleeve used for the roof. (I have to agree ... the Europeans do have an edge on the coffee house experience, but we have to make do over here. For me, Starbucks lattes and frappuccinos are like candy that also enable my caffeine addiction. Sigh!!! What a great combo.) Ok back to your fab tag ... so straightening out Tim's circle for your lawn just made me smile. By the way, gotta get the Distress Spray spritzer. I've been driving myself nuts with the misters for the last few years :) Love this!!! Pinned. Now to go check out those flourishing butterfiles!! -- Mary Elizabeth

Kasia said...

Great tag, Alison! Love these cute little flowers :)