I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 1 March 2014

A thing of shreds and patches...

Hello all and welcome back... for the third time today perhaps!  I'm a mad March hare today at Words and Pictures with treble trouble - a trio of posts all due today.

The first of the trio is my inspiration offering for the Artistic Stamper March challenge.  But there's also my latest project for Calico Crafts to be seen.  I'd really love it if you had time to check them out.  Not forgetting yesterday's exciting announcement of course...

But right now, I'm here to share what I've created for the brand new challenge at Our Creative Corner.




The marvellous Linda Coughlin, a.k.a. the Funkie Junkie, is our host for March, and her invitation to us is "Let's Get Scrappy"... 

She'd like us to use scraps and leftovers from previous projects - those pieces of paper, scraps of ribbon and embellishments made and never used, that none of us can quite bear to throw away.  

Well, now it's time for them to take their turn in the limelight.

I used some of the many, many, many inky painty scraps of paper which accumulate every time I'm crafting, and the left over bits of patterned papers, as well as some of the extra glass pebble embellishments created all in one go and now waiting around to take their turn.




Here are just a few of the bits I gathered from the craft desk and the floor round about before starting.

I also grabbed a couple of larger leftover scraps from the box which, rather than being sorted, came from the old house intact - full of scraps and half-finished tags.













I'm now very glad that it did, since the scrap at the top left of that first photo came out of it, and ended up taking centre stage as the word panels on this piece.







I glued down torn strips of some of these papers onto a piece of mountboard.




I gesso'd over the top of them, and then splodged down various colours of Distress Stain over the whole thing.





A couple of spritzes of water and some heatgun action later...







I'd kept the gesso quite thick around the edges, stippling it on with a hard bristle brush, so that you get lovely textures showing through the translucent inks.













But now I was after some more full-on texture... Wendy Vecchi's translucent embossing paste applied through a stencil.  

Here, it's already had some more Distress Stains applied over the top.










By the end it had been spritzed with all sorts, with some Shimmerz paints in the mix too, I think.










Time for some stamping - all Unity stamps in this particular creation.  

There's a bit of SheArt Print Texture layered into the background in Aquamarine.










The text echoes the book page strips beneath...

And being free to play with whatever I wanted in the stash, I reached for the fabulous Donna Downey Delicate Wildflowers.











Perhaps that other meadow flower panel in the scraps crept into my subconscious, or maybe I'm just obsessed with meadow grasses.













I think this is the smaller size, from the Insightful Meadows plate.

They're mainly in Olive but there are also a couple of Aquamarine shadows.















And then we have our three main word panels. 

I was so thrilled to find that Donna Downey's "Inspire" Words fitted perfectly across my inky panel (no idea what's on there any longer - I suspect Distress Stains over gesso or ground).





















And so three out of the four words made it on (you also get "believe" in the set)...
















... with the 'handwriting' scrawling on from one end...














... and trailing off at the other...













And then, of course, there are the glass pebbles... 













I made them for a particular project, the Garden of Dreams (and you can see how by visiting the garden)...









... but I thought I might as well make lots while I was at it, so they should keep me going for a while!














So, I was pretty happy with where I'd got to so far, but it just felt like it needed something more.














The frame was just another leftover - one of many, many I altered for the Handmade Wedding in 2012. 

With some more of that leftover music manuscript whitewashed in the background, it seemed like the right setting for my scrappy make.

Do hop over to Our Creative Corner for lots more inspiration, and come and share your scraps and leftovers with us this month - and don't forget my other mad 1st March posts here and here if you're interested!

A wand'ring minstrel, I,
A thing of shreds and patches,
Of ballad songs and snatches,
And dreamy lullaby...
From The Mikado by Gilbert & Sullivan





I pasted on the scraps, used the gesso as a texture paste and I couldn't resist adding some translucent embossing paste too, so I'd like to enter this in the Paste challenge at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge.
I'm slightly uncertain as to whether it qualifies for the Monochromatic challenge at the Stampotique Designers Challenge, but I'm going to give it a go!

And now I'll leave you in peace for a few days!!

69 comments:

Katherine said...

Beautiful I love all that texture and watercolour - great use of all your scraps :)

Helen said...

oh wow!! I love this style you do, the scraps you've used are perfect (I only seem to make new scraps not use old ones...) and the colours - wonderful! Off to read the other posts now.

Jenny Marples said...

Bless you Alison. I really don't know how you do it all, and do it so well! I love seeing how you put this together, from the paper weaving to the application of inks and then that fabulous translucent embossing paste. And all this works incredibly well with your altered glass beads and the delicate stamping. An absolutely gorgeous piece. Jenny x

Lin said...

Alison this is gorgeous!! One of my favorite colour combinations..just perfect xx

Deborah said...

So I'm not the only one who saves every little scrap lol. Love your solution to the scrap dilemna. I've been cutting my gelli print scraps into rough circle and pebble shapes for some project or other I haven't even thought up yet!

Redanne said...

I am in total awe, a few scraps of paper and some ink and fabulous embossing paste and you have created a wonderful work of art! It looks wonderful mounted in that frame. Anne xx

Julie Lee said...

How do you do it, Alison! This is terrific. It's so inspiring I'm off to rummage through my vast collection of scraps dating back to when I began to craft now! I love your colour scheme, the textures and, of course, those wonderful meadow grasses. Breathtaking loveliness from shreds and patches! Julie Ann xxx

Amanda said...

Another beautiful make and a stunning use of scraps if you can call them that? Love all the scrummy texture.
Love
Amanda x

rachel said...

stunning work alison. my fave from you today
xx

massofhair said...

Layers of paper & texture, stunning colours, amazing project, hmmm who could that be? I only know one person who can make such exquisite works of ArT, yep that's you Ms Genius..... Stunning:-) xxx

Meggymay said...

I have been and read all your posts today they are all stunning projects, this one had to be my favourite.
Yvonne

Astrid Maclean said...

Think this has to be my favourite piece from today too. Funny to see how we used quite similar techniques for our makes for this challenge, yet the end results are so totally different.... Love how yours turned out, it's delicious! :)

Marci said...

Love this! I always like when you do one color, or several colors blended into one. And always love when you use meadow grass stamps, no matter which size. So, this is my favorite today. It seems simple at first glance, but the layers give it depth.

cathylynn said...

This goes to show you that nothing goes to waste! What a beauty!!!You are a creative genius!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Wowww again such a gorgeous creation Alison...and those glass pebbles...woww stunning look with the shapes and colours!

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE it Alison, those drops are gorgeous...

Sam & Poppy said...

What can I say? Beautiful ♥
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique this week :)

Sam & Poppy said...

What can I say? Beautiful ♥
Thanks for joining in with us at Stampotique this week :)

mytawnyinspirations said...

StunninG Amazing! Superb! Brilliant use of treasured bits and pieces. Love your colour scheme, textures, layering and your informative, step-by-step. I always find these very inspiring. Now I'm off to check out how the glass pebbles were made. Cheers, Di

sara j said...

Your attention to detail and layering ALWAYS result in a make I love....your style and creativity are just such an inspiration Alison. This was fun, because I have those stamps, thanks to a gift from my sister. I love them!! Now to go see the rest of the posts...

scrappymo! said...

What a gorgeous work of art. Loved the step by step! The paper weaving is lovely and watching the transformation and growth of this piece through your picture journey, was amazing!

Netty said...

I read the title and thought oh yay G & S inspired and looked for the Minstrel....or the three little maids....daaaaah, got it wrong didn't I....lol

Great colours and techniques Alison.
Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

maj. said...

Brilliant project, Alison. The colours and textures are wonderful !!!

Nan G said...

Simple ...yet ...so much texture and depth! Love the watery colors. :)

Julia S-W said...

Beautifully created background and I love the dreamy palette you've used. I'm intrigued by the glass pieces so I must go and see how you did those! A Lovely piece Alison. Juliaxx

maria's knutselplezier said...

Super , Alison, I love the way you have put so much structure on your Art work , great colours and details too!!

Greetings
Maria

Clare Lloyd said...

It's fab Alison and thanks for sharing your techniques. The clear paste looks ace and I like the glass beads too!

Paper Profusion said...

You have so much energy Alison!! I'm imagining you running around like wonderwoman! ALL your artful creations today are totalling stunning. So beautifully done. Enjoy the rest of your weekend - tis a pleasure to see each and every post. Nicola x

trisha too said...

Such a pleasing palette and wonderful textures--we'd never guess it was from your scraps!

:)

May said...

Fabulous layers of scraps Alison... I didn't think scraps could look so good...the texture & colours are just perfect... Love it all... Hugs may x x x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's amazing. A wonderful technique, great texture, fantastic colors and fabulous design.

Juliz Design Post said...

This is so dreamy looking and fabulous to think made out of all these little pieces of paper we keep. I even keep lots of my die cut waste. Thanks for your step by step photos and instructions. Great work.
Julie x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful use of scraps and in your signature colour.
Wishes
Lynne

Terry said...

Lovely use of scraps, Alison! The texture and colors are a perfect mix. Love that you framed this and those positive words! Enjoy!

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant use of the scraps! Love all the beautiful texture, color and layers! Lovely! Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

barbarayaya62 said...

What a wonderful use of the colors! I love your works, send your happiness in them and always there is a brilliant idea, in this case a nice way to use the scraps! BArbarayaya

Mona Pendleton said...

So beautiful Alison! Love the collaged papers and the pretty color palette! Awesome texture too! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

chrissie said...

Wonderful techniques Alison and so much texture--looks quite touchy feely.

Love Chrissie x

Tracy said...

A beautiful post..full of all my favourite things in your stunning style Alison...love the step by step!!!
Big hugs
Tracy
Xxxxx

Sophie said...

Guten Morgen, Alison...
eine tolle Karte ist das!
Der Werdegang ist hochinteressant, diese vielen Arbeitsgänge sind ja der Wahnsinn.
Und das Ergebnis ist umwerfend schön.
CHAPEAU!

Sophie xx

Unni A said...

This is soooo beautiful! Lovely!
hugs, Unni

Martina said...

This is so fantastic, dear Alision!! I have no words enough to say how I love your art!

Anonymous said...

Yummy colours & textures, & thanks for that wonderful tute Alison xxx

Kasia said...

Amazing! Love the colors! :)

Dianne said...

Love your new tittle Mad March Hare, wearing so many hats... I loooooove this challenge, some fantastic creations are being made. I love your piece so much I'm going to try all these techniques and have a go, pure inspiration on this piece Miss Butterfly, between you and your Mom today, I'm full of inspiration for a busy week at my desk playing with some new stuff, thanks a bunch, hope you have a wonderful week, three brilliant post...((( BIG HUGS )))...

Anonymous said...

Oh my, look at all that gorgeous texture. I'd give anything to se this in real life, it's utterly beautiful. Putting it in the frame was a great idea, it's perfect.

Maelchen said...

Yes, Alison, I will modestly queue at the end of the comment section only to tell you (again) how impressed I am by your work! How do you do it? You seem to live around your work table... Your art is never the same, always bearing surprizing details and colour combinations... And your quotes.... What can I say... You are a great inspiration, dear!
Hugs, Manu

Cocofolies said...

Gorgeous collage of scraps of papers Alison, you have also added a fabulous texture over it, and the transformation is awesome and really beautiful!!! Hugs, Coco xx

Brenda Brown said...

I wouldn't have believed this was made of scraps at all Alison, but what a fabulous make they have contributed too. Love the torn paper background and gorgeous splodges of inks right through to the dreamy frame. A great make xx

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... what a gorgeous creation, Alison. The textures and colors are fabulous! Love all the beautiful details. :)

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison I'm again!!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us on Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! BArbarauyayan

Basement Stamper said...

great tutorial, I might need to break out some of this stuff I have sitting around to try this. The finished frame is beautiful (some of my fave colors!)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Three fabulous projects Alison and I've got one dreadful connection so just wanted to say how fab they all are and because this uses my favourite resource (scraps) this is my favourite! Just love the colours, the texture and those fabulous glass beads! Chris

Sue said...

A truly beautiful piece Alison, and I've loved seeing how it all came together xx

Cathy L. Calamas said...

Absolutely amazing. One of my favorites. I've come to the conclusion that you do not sleep.
:)) The glass buttons make it for me

Fliss said...

Playing catch up Alison and just love the shabby chic delicateness of your artwork here - a breath of Spring.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Wow! Everyone always has better scraps than me and yours are no exception. Of course, your scraps would intimidate the heck out of me.

Another lovely job. The frame is the perfect setting for your piece. Very nice!

Annie said...

totaly fabulous Alison and Its great to use scraps too. A fab challenge theme for sure. Just been over to OCC to join in with the challenge and saw Laura's message...hope your back to normal soon

CRafty Hugs Annie x

Cinderella Moments said...

I think it qualifies as monochromatic. It reminds me of a refreshing pool of water- revitalizing and relaxing. It's beautiful.
hugs♥,
Caroline

Teresa Abajo said...

I love this! The colours, the texture - it's all delicious!

Shirley said...

Scrappy does it for me every time Alison, coming from someone who doesn't throw anything away. How can something look so simple and stunning but must have took a good while to make.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

froebelsternchen said...

JUST WONDERFUL!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous layers! Just beautiful!

Lisa Minckler said...

Sensational!!!! Breathtaking from beginning to end my friend. I'm a visual learner and seeing you photos are so incredibly inspiring for me. LOVE this!!

Julie S said...

I love this! I want to run my hands over it - all of that texture is just so tempting.

Kay Wallace said...

Congrats on being the Stampotique Design Team Favorite this week, Alison!

Mrs.B said...

A gorgeous piece Alison, beautiful colour, delicate stamping and texture.
Avril xx

Jools Robertson said...

Love how you wove the paper in the background, reminds me of the scarp journal techniques we did with FInnabair
The stencil compliments it beautifully and your lovely colours as always

Jools x

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow Alison this is such an amazing gorgeous journal page all from scraps awesome. I am a bit confused, just nipped over to have a look and the challenge isn't on now :-(. Kezzy :-) xxx