I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 17 November 2013

The Phoenix Rises




Hello everyone!  


Thank you so much for your fabulous response to the ArtAngel... she's very happy that you liked her, and happy isn't exactly her default setting!


I'm back with a tag today, one that rose from the ashes of pretty much nothing to become one of my favourite recent makes.


Yes, this phoenix rising out of the flames began life as a paint sample... a tag that I grabbed just to show my sister-in-law Laura, of Laurart, some of the DecoArt paints she was asking about.  
















Rather than talk about the properties of Quinacridone Gold or Transparent Red Iron Oxide, I thought the best thing would just to be to put some on some card to show them to her.  

And I added in one of the regular acrylics - grabbing, of course, my favoured Indian Turquoise - and just randomly squiggling the colours onto the tag with my fingers.

This finger-painting is what I ended up with, and we both looked at it and said, "Well, that's the start of something!".

But at that point, I had no idea what...








When I came back to it a few days later my first step, as pretty much always, was to add some Distress Ink to the mix.

As regulars will know from recent creations, one of my favourite games is to play with the contrast of opaque paints and translucent inks.  

And it's ages since I've managed to play along with the Monday Challenge at Simon Says Stamp, so I'd like to offer this contrast up to their "Got Ink?" challenge this week.










I blended on Broken China and Rusty Hinge inks at opposite ends of the tag, contrasting with the nearest paint colours. 




Obviously, I had to do a bit of spritzing and flicking too.












Next, I added the Tim Holtz sentiment - it somehow seemed right, given that my imagination was going to be the main ingredient in turning the painty scribbles into something.  

I stamped it in the Indian Turquoise paint, to make sure it would hold its own against the colours and textures of the squiggles.
















More stamping next, using the same Distress Inks as I'd used for the blending.  

I started with the little Harlequin diamonds from the little Tim Holtz French Market set, in Broken China over the Broken China bits...













... and in Rusty Hinge over the Rusty Hinge bits.
















Then came the flash of inspiration - the bird from Flights of Fancy suddenly became a Phoenix rising from the flames.  

Yes, it turns out those painty squiggles are flames... obvious once you know, isn't it?!

I stamped him in Versamark ink and embossed him in Copper Kettle powder.  I added some white highlighting with Inkssentials gel pen, but I somehow knew it wasn't over yet.
















Now that I realised we were on fire, I decided to add some extra tongues of flame, licking around the edges of the card, using the flourish from the Regal Flourish clear stamp set, and then it was out with some more embossing powder.














I started with some Rust from the Antiquities range, and added a few dots of Frantage Aged Gold to it.  Once I'd melted that, I knew what had to happen to the Phoenix!











I used the Emboss It Dabber to add some more embossing ink right to the edges of his wings and tail, as well as some tiny specks feathering outward from there too. 













The Aged Gold has a fabulously lava-like look to it, and I sprinkled a couple of speckles of the Rust embossing powder onto it while still molten and remelted it in.












I'm thrilled with the results both on the Phoenix and on the edges of the card.  See how he dazzles in the sunlight!!












The topping for the tag gives me great pleasure too... 

It's some more wire rescued from notepads being thrown out - and this time it was already a fabulous brass colour (no need for the Worn Penny used for ArtAngel's ruff).











I twisted it around for a sculptural effect, and it wasn't until I was taking the photos that I realised how it echoes the flourish flames on the tag itself - I love happy accidents!











All in all, I hope this tag is a sign of my Mojo rising from the ashes of exhaustion and stress - it's felt more than a little sluggish lately.  

There were signs of it re-emerging with the ArtAngel, and this tag certainly gave me a great deal of joy combining the inks, paint and powders to release the Phoenix from my imagination.

Hope you've all been having a fabulous week, and an even better weekend!  See you soon. 







It's ages and ages since I've managed to play along with the Monday Challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show.  
This week they'd like to know whether we've "Got Ink", so between the Distress Ink background, spritzed, flicked and stamped, and the Embossing Ink used for the Phoenix and for the lava, I hope this will fit.

And I'd also like to add it in to Anything But A Card's open challenge Fall Into Fall - apparently you don't have to have a Fall-themed project, so I'm taking them at their word, though I guess the colours here are pretty autumnal in any case!

The phoenix, hope, can wing her way through the desert skies and, still defying fortune's spite, revive from ashes and rise.
Miguel de Cervantes

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
J.G. Ballard

82 comments:

sam21ski said...

WOW - fabulous xxx

Martina said...

An interesting and impressive technique, dear Alison! The result is outstanding!
Have a nice sunday!

Helen said...

Wow, Alison this is fabulous! I love the story of how it came about too.

House of Bears said...

Wow this is pretty impressive anyway, but the fact it was made from a demo tag makes it even more special. We love it when things come together this way.

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING! I am thrilled by this fabulous creation dear Alison..UNIQUE ART!!!

WOW!

brenda said...

Lush colours and a super piece of artwork.

B x

May said...

Gorgeous work... Love how this came together...WOW...love it... Hugs May x x x

Amanda said...

Brilliant, how good to turn it all into this tag.
Love
Amanda x

Rita said...

What Magnificent colours Alison. The finished Tag is so stunning. Hugs Rita xxx

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh my dear Alison ... your mojo has rocketed out of the ashes!!!!!!!! This piece is absolutely insanely artistically brilliant. Your intuitive use of color combined with the the serendipity of form from finger painting provided the perfect backdrop for your borderless imagination. I love the aged gold on the flights of fancy bird -- that to me just sent this piece over the edge of genius. And that tag topper with the spiral notebook remnant was wonderful. Your ArtAngel must have watched over this process with such pride. -- Mary Elizabeth

PS -- I was wondering if/how Laura from Laurart was related to you :)

Patti P. said...

Alison, this may be my all time fave of yours. Happy accidents are the best but I think the truth is that you are a fabulous artist that takes anything and makes something the rest of us would love to be able to create. As long as I am able to share in your creations by visiting.......
hugs...

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful tag Alison! Love the embossed detail and mix of colors!

Deborah said...

Totally gorgeous, Alison! You've taken your blue and brown preference and given it a bold and brilliant twist.I love the Quinacridone shades (mine are Golden), so rich and warm.

Krisha said...

WOW Alison, I really don't know what to say. This tag is so fabulous, the colors and the embossing powder effects are just boggling my mind.
Thanks for sharing it.

Smile_Art said...

wow! I'm impressed! Amazing work and colours Alison! :))

Mrs.B said...

This looks fabulous,m love the theme and how it came about.
Avril xx

Anonymous said...

The most fabulous energy is radiating from this tag!
Wishes
Lynne

chrissie said...

Some things happen by accident and often they are the best makes.

I just love the colours on this tag.

Chrissie x

sally said...

Those colours are just magnificent! I just love happy accidents :-) and this seems to have been one long series of them all coming together to create an amazing piece.

Sally

Julie Lee said...

Truly stunning, Alison! I love the accident of the wire echoing the swirls of flame and flourishes on the tag! In fact I love the whole project, it just soars on the wings of imagination in every way! Do you think Art Angel might be watching over you now and fanning those imaginative flames? Julie Ann xx

Chrissy said...

FANTASTIC Alison..I love the colours and the gorgeous bird..love the sentiment or verse and all the details...fabulous.

luv CHRISSYxx

Carol Q said...

fabulous colour Alison - isn't it amazing how tubular and dimensional the paint looks?

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous fingerpainting Alison! And a great finished tag!

Dagmar said...

wow wow wow - it´s so fantastic!!!
a real great artwork!

Redanne said...

A stunning piece of art Alison! Hugs, Anne x

Meggymay said...

Wow, those colours are fantastic. Its a great tag.
Yvonne

pearshapedcrafting said...

Those colours are indeed gorgeous but your 'Phoenix' tag......the work of a true artist! Alison this is just amazing and I followed the steps of your creating of this tag like chapters in a thriller! F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S! Hugs, Chrisx

Evil Edna said...

this a turley inspiartion piece of art-outstanding.EE

Michelle said...

Alison, this is gorgeous! It really captures the phoenix rising from the ashes. So cool!! Beautifully done!

Maggie said...

Wonderful tag Alison amazing what a few scribbles can turn into great theme.
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog

MaggieH

Sheri said...

Very cool! thanks for playing in ABAC challenge

mark gould said...

Wow Oh Wow Alison, what an attention grabber. ther perfect blue to go with those warm quin gold and iron oxide. very dynamic xxx

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully put together from the finger painting to the last sprinkles of embossing powder, beautiful vibrant colours that certainly light my fire. Love it.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Dan said...

What a beautiful tag Alison! Your squiggled flames have a dream-like quality to them, very hypnotic, I love it! Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... such a fun background! Alison. The colors and textures are totally fantastic! Love this tag. :)

Terry said...

It has been ages since I did any finger painting! Beautiful background and I love the Distress Inking added with the flicks! Gorgeous! Hugs!

Dianne said...

Holy Moly Miss Butterfly this is FREAKING BRILLIANT, from a few swirls of paint color to this glorious, Bird, he is our supreme elder,and very important, you have certainly did him an honor, the inks, paints embossing, that fabulous saved wire, I loooooove it, and it's one of my favorites too, it's breath taking, outstanding work Miss Butterfly, thanks for all the inspiration flying around here, hope you h ave a wonderful week.. thanks for visiting my nest and leaving those wonderful comments, hope you have a fabulous week, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Nan G said...

OMG! Your creations using vibrant colors are amazing!

Elly said...

Love the abstract background and the wire mkes it perfect(:o)

Unknown said...

What an amazing creation! I am in awe! I had NO idea that DecoArt made paints in these colors. . . Thank you for sharing this amazing tag!

barbarayaya62 said...

stunning tag!I love the texture and the vibrant colors! beautiful! barbarayaya

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wwo What a beautiful masterpiece, I love the way you put the paint on the tag!! Great colours and what a beautiful special effects you created!! I really , really love this!!!

Greetings
Maria

Von said...

I like this very much !!!
Von ♥

Shirley said...

Fabulous title Alison. Finger painting works for me big time sweetie but like Terry haven't done for ages. I knew they were flames from the beginning (she says with her fingers crossed behind her back) lol.

Stunning - I do hope Mr Phoenix wasn't singed in the rising because he looks as if he can't wait to get out of there!!

Crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous Alison, it's great to see you explode in colour like this!! Phoenix rising indeed! All the different effects look incredible, your muse was certainly having a dance with this one!! Yay!

craftytrog said...

Totally wonderful painty squiggles!!! xx

Netty said...

Beautiful painty piece Alison, Annette x

Paper Profusion said...

It looks alive with all that energy (wish I could have some!). Fabulous artwork Alison. Nicola x

Magda Wisiorek said...

Amazing project!

Kelly said...

This turned out gorgeous!! I love the colors and different textures you gave them. Fabulous edges!! I love all your happy accidents as the wire is fabulous with the rest of your tag. Thanks for showing us how you made your work, I enjoy your thought process all the way through it!
Have a great day,
Kelly

Neet said...

Alison - sorry I have not been calling of late but this caught ;my eye on the Bloglovin notice and I had to visit. Gorgeous. How very painterly - love it.
Now got to go and see this angel before I head back to my work.
Hugs, Neet xx

Candy C said...


Alison...I too have been a bit absent from blog commenting as of late. Life gets in the way...as you well know. :) I wanted to thank you for the sweet comments you've left on my blog. They are so appreciated. Now..onto YOUR tag. It's fabulous! I so enjoyed reading your post. I think you and I are alot alike in that most of the time, I think we both just start creating with not a whole lot of forethought into what we'll be making. This phoenix tag is awesome! I so love your finger paint "flames". Those colors are so vibrant and actually do look like flames when you put them into the context of your piece! How cool is that?!? Your phoenix is gorgeous. I love the embossed accents. The inky background colors are perfect for your flames and all blend together so well. What brand of paint is your Indian turquoise? It's gorgeous. Thanks so much for always being so free with your techniques and products used. You are quite an artist and I love your work! Thanks for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, too! <3 Candy

Sandy said...

Okay kid!!!!! I am definitely voting for you for president. Talk about gorgeous - wow honey chile this is head shaking beautiful. From the colors to the Phoenix and topped off with the wire. The swirling paint - Lordy, I can picture so many ides using this technique. Especially at Halloween.
Following you forever!
Sandy

Anna-Karin said...

This tag is so cool Alison! The combination of paint and ink is really great and the embossing on top adds the perfect touch. Thank you for getting inky with us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Dorthe said...

A very interesting tecnique, dear Alison,- I just saw something about that fingerpainting thing somewhere else.
Your result is gorgeous, love the embossed phoenix and your "fire".
xo, Dorthe

Unknown said...

A fab tag, original, unusual, definitely a hit. Chris xxx

Sandra said...

Oh my! This tag is so gorgeous! The finger painted flames are so beautiful! I'm in love with this tag! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Jools Robertson said...

Gorgeous colours the finished effect is stunning

Hugs

Jools x

Jennie Atkinson said...

WOW!!!! Stunning Alison x

Anonymous said...

Stunning tag, really beautiful.

Gio said...

It's just pure imagination!! The sentiment is really the proper one. You can see when other cannot see anything and it's just amazing!

Annie said...

Wow Alison..............love the colours and fabulous outcome......amazing !!

TFS and best wishes

Annie x

Marjie Kemper said...

Isn't finger painting the best!?!?! Love what you've made here with this gorgeous tag, Alison. xx

Cinderella Moments said...

That is totally an artistic masterpiece. It's marvelous!
hugs♥,
Caroline

cathylynn said...

Your Mojo was definitely on fire and exploding with creativity! This is down right phenomenal and I love the colors and textures!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

toni said...

Wow! Gorgeous colour and movement in the painting, such a great piece, love it x

Kjersti said...

Wow! Love it!
Have a great week!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So cool, a gorgeous background and wonderful details.

Kate Yetter said...

I absolutly love the paint swirls in your background. Its a stunning and very creative tag.
Kate

Marci said...

It's obvious you had fun making this. A good way to recharge your batteries. I like the embossing on the edges and the sense of movement. Very dynamic.

Cocofolies said...

Totally amazing, really FABULOUS background !!!! and I LOVE the colours, the flames and your phoenix idea of course... Well, that means I love all I think! Hugs from France, Coco xxx

maria f. said...

Fabulous post, fabulous project.

Kasia said...

OH! What an amazing tag! It's stunning! I am so impressed with it :) Love the colors :)

Tara said...

Cool technique and it turned out beautifully!

Sue said...

This is stunning Alison, the colours are amazing!! x

Darnell said...

Spectacular, Alison!! Congratulations on being showcased at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Hurrah!! Hugs, Darnell

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE how the colors and textures look like flames with the phoenix rising! FABULOUS!

Candy C said...

Yay Alison! I am so happy that your tag was chosen to be among those beautiful pieces featured this week on our Spotlight for Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. I truly loved what you did and enjoyed your thought process in creating it! <3 Candy

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow Alison this is AMAZING, I can't believe from a few squggles of paint to the awesome tag, your mind has such clever ideas, truly inspirational. Love it. Hugs kezzy :-) xxxxx

Margaret said...

And it all started with a little fingerpainting... This is marvelous and the colors are stunning!

Lisa Minckler said...

Too groovy!! Was watching little Harry Potter a bit ago and this is wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

I did read this post! Turqoise and rust/copper are two of my favourite colours! They are so vibrant on their own, but together they are even prettier. Love this tag!
greets,
Debbie.