I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Sunshine, please...

Hello all!  Isn't it typical?  Just at the point when I could really do with some sunlight for photographing a project, it's set in as a grey, drizzly day.  So I'm sharing this A4 canvas now, but I might be back another time with some updated sunny pictures!


This is one of those ones that got me out of bed early, demanding to be made.




Its principal inspirations are Polish, one way and another: the papers, and some of the embellishments are by Finnabair (a.k.a. Anna Dabrowska)...















... and as well as her influence I've also been hugely inspired by the work of Czekoczyna (a.k.a. Kasia Krzyminska)...





... and on top of that, before my recent stint working away from home, I'd ordered some sprays and inks from the Polish mixed media shop 13Arts, and was dying to have a play with them.











I started by tearing and layering strips of Finnabair's fabulous From Sunrise to Sunset papers for Prima.

I glued some more of the Prima papers to a piece of card and used the WordPlay die to cut the lettering I wanted for the words which had forced me out of bed earlier...











Next step was to gather lots of metal flowers, some from the Finnabair collection, some Idea-ology, and some filigree pieces I got from various other places, including the Funkie Junkie Boutique.














I did some stencilling with Distress Inks (mainly Picked Raspberry and Spiced Marmalade, with some Wild Honey and Worn Lipstick thrown in) using the little flower stencil from the same collection.










Then I added some little polka dots of texture paste, as well as smearing areas with paste fairly randomly, and patting it to texturise it.

I used my favourite script stamp from the Tim Holtz Apothecary set to add a bit of texty texture to the background too - which you might just be able to see on this picture.












Once the papers and flowers were all stuck down, I covered the whole flower arrangement with a coat of gesso.










Then the spritzing started.  As well as the 13Arts sprays, there are some Dylusions sprays and some Glimmer Mists involved.

I also did a bit of dry brushing with Haystack Fresco paint, and added some Glimmer Glaze at some point too.









In the meantime the rest of the canvas was obviously getting slightly spritzed, and I made sure to carry the colours over the edges, to create that dimensional look that I love so much.

Of course, the stencilling and texture paste had already taken a trip over the edge too.














Because the canvas was now quite inky, I decided the lettering would pop better if I layered in some more strips of paler paper for the letters to go onto - torn and inked around the edges, of course.










The inbetween words are Idea-ology AlphaParts, the Ransom set, painted white and then inked and glazed a little to tone in.

Quite a good view of some of the texture paste here, too...











Love when you can get colour and dimension and texture even into the words - that's pretty much my day job right there!











Some ripping and rolling to give the papers some edge and dimension - it also brings some white highlighting into play by revealing the unspritzed canvas or paper beneath.















The final touch was to add some Rock Candy Crackle Glaze to all the corners...






... and a touch of DecoArt Gloss Glaze to the flower arrangement.














This has the effect of really bringing the colours back to life - as they can sometimes get a bit dull once they're dry. 






Now all I need is some sunshine so that I can take some proper sparkly pictures!












Thanks so much for stopping by today.  If it's raining on you too, I hope it hasn't dampened your spirits too much!

Those who bring sunshine to others cannot keep it from themselves.
J.M.Barrie

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Keep your face to the sun, and you will never see the shadows.
Helen Keller



I'd like to enter this in the following:
Just in time for the Summer Sizzler at Country View Crafts' Challenge Site
At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge they're creating an Ode to Sunshine
At Tando Creative Challenges they're interested in our inspiration from a Favourite Artist - Finnabair and Czekoczyna are going to have to take dual honours for this




Oh, and I'm also over at Artistic Outpost today with a little re-visit of a triple tag in one of my more usual colour palettes - worth a look, I think, if you missed it the first time around, though I do say so myself.

Happy Crafting all!





70 comments:

Clare Lloyd said...

fabulous! love all the texture and colours. x

Roudi said...

Oh my this is beautiful! The colors just make me smile. :)
You did a great job with the composition and texture. I especially love your metal flowers cluster. Way to go!

Hugs from Egypt,
Roudi

Unknown said...

I love your canvas. The colours are vibrant and I am full of admiration for the amount of time they must take you to make.
Your projects are inspirational
Hugs
Lynda B

maria's knutselplezier said...

Again a super canvas Alison, I really love it, , I love the colours an the quote , and to be trough I love this day without sunshine, but tomorrow it can come back!!!(haha)

Greetings
Maria

Rita said...

What a stunning piece of art work Alison. I love all the fabulous textures you've managed to put on to your canvas. Lots of inspiration with this creation. Hugs Rita xxx

Amanda said...

Alison was a fantastic canvas, so many bits and so many textures with a fabulous use of colour, amazing creation.
Love
Amanda x

barbarayaya62 said...

Awesome canvas! Flowers are fabolous and colors so bright! beautiful work! BArbarayaya

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, gorgeous piece using my favourite colour palette of the moment. Imlove the torn rolled edges on your paper and the lettering is perfect. Love all the added texture and dimension from the cluster of embellishments. Beautiful. Tracy x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Sorry Alison, just wanted to say thank you so much for,joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Michelle said...

Alison. you are truly one of the most talent mixed-media artists. You have such beautiful composition and the colors are breathtaking!

noomiy said...

Woooow! just beautiful! :)

noomiy said...

Woooow! just beautiful! :)

toni said...

A lovely canvas Alison, gorgeous vibrant colours certainly fit for a summers day, love the wording and the beautiful flowers x

Rosie said...

Fabulous, it is fantastic, Alison

Mona Pendleton said...

Wowza! What a stunning canvas Alison! I love all the texture and vibrant colors! Way to knock the challenge out of the ballpark! Thanks for joining along with Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Cestina said...

Oh stunning....just magic. First day without sun for weeks here so it was more than welcome.

Redanne said...

Gorgeous colours, wonderful texture and design Alison - this is one beautiful canvas! Hugs, Anne x

Fliss said...

Wow Alison! What an absolutely stunning and detailed creation. Really love the colours which are so summery and much needed after a nasty drizzly day here too.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Carol Q said...

absolutely scrumptious Alison - wonderful colour choice and I can definitely see Finn's influence.

Unknown said...

Wundervoll,fantastisch,ich bin echt begeistert,so etwas schönes zu sehen.

Helen said...

Stunning colours and I love the texture. We're never happy are we, first it's too hot, then it rains and we don't like that either!

Chris said...

Gorgeous canvas Alison, it's bursting with summer and I love tha to looks as though its's a tactile piece as well. Fabulous work! Off to look at AO. Chris xx

Krisha said...

VERY WELL DONE AI!! Anna is such an inspiration, just love her work and yours is right up there among the very best.

Claudia N. said...

A great canvas and although one can very well see your sources of inspiration, it is a real "Alison" too! Wonderful!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Brenda Brown said...

Such a tribute to the sun and a sizzler of a canvas. A wonderful work of art full of sheer delight in the textures, embellishments and techniques you used. I just love it.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Meggymay said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous.The colours are stunning.
Yvonne

Deborah said...

It actually looks stunning at all the intermediate stages as well. Wow!

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous canvas Allison and the colours are stunning. Great pics even if wasn't sunny!
Avril xx

Julie Lee said...

Well, this is so fabulous I reckon it didn't need the sun to light it up - the canvas created its own sunshine! I love Anna's work, but I had not heard of the other Polish crafter you mention so I will research. I love, love, love those metal flowers and leaves on your canvas. I have some broken earrings exactly like those leaves so they are finding their way into a project soon! I really loved looking at this - just wonderful colours, papers, everything! Your work always lifts my spirits. Julie Ann xx

Tincan Crafter said...

I am drooling over all the texture and rich, happy colours. If I had a piece like that hanging in my bedroom where I could see it the moment I got up, I bet my days would always be happy, good ones. I am going to have to check out the other artists you mentioned. You and your style always has a massive creative influence on stuff that I am doing these days. You are incredible!

Chrissy said...

Now these are my colours Alison, absolutely gorgeous..firey gorgeous colours..love the flower and leaf detail..wonderful, and love the textures and torn papers..just fantastic.

luv CHRISSYxx

Mary Elizabeth said...

Alison I am soooo glad this one demanded to be made. It has made me incredibly happy. I love it! The colors and textures are fabulous. I really need to go take a look at those 13Arts sprays and inks ... jaw dropping color. Thanks for the step-by-step. I'd like to try to do a canvas sometime soon. We'll see. By the way, just saw the kind words you left me on my blog. Wow that was quick!! Thanks so much for your support and the inspiration that you give us all :) -- Mary Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Such bold and lively colours that radiate heat.
Gorgeous texture.
I think we all can tell that you had lots of FUN with this one!
Wishes
Lynne

Astrid Maclean said...

Great to see you working with these bright colours Alison, I can just imagine how you felt just before you started, I can sense the inspiration shining through! You obviously had great fun with it and the result is fabulous!!

Hettie said...

I absolutely adore this canvas Alison. The colours, the layers and the textures. I do like Finnabair's work too and those flowers are just delectable. Off to see the other link you gave now.
Hugs
xx

Terry said...

Alison, you have done it again! Fabulicious canvas that is so vibrant and full of great color and texture! Love that piece of Sunshine! Off to see what you have up at AO! Hugs!

Meihsia Liu said...

This is totally fantastic, Alison. I love the gorgeous color scheme and beautiful texture. Such a great design. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Can't wait to see what you're going to come up with next week. :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, I'm missing words again. Such a breathtaking canvas. Pure summer feeling.
Also your tags are wonderful.

chrissie said...

Your piece looks very sunny to me and doesn't need the help of nature to make it so. Such wonderful images and colours you have chosen.

Love the triple tag as well--a bit of a contrast from the other :)

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

CreativSpirit said...

Beautiful art, love the colours and the texture..........oh I love everything about it.

Margie said...

Oh Alison this is such a lovely canvas, bringing sunshine right through it! I love all the layers, the textures and the gorgeous colours! Margie x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Wow what a great details on this colourful canvas Alison...it really brings the sun inside!
A feeling...great...

kind regards, Alie :-)

Unni A said...

It's fabulous! You don't need sun, it's filled with sunshine itself :) Wonderful!
hugs, Unni

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! Bright, fun, fab composition and, as always, a great message. Thanks for joining in with our challenge this month at Country View Challenges. Chris xxx

Cocofolies said...

ooo WOW !!!! Don't worry about the presence of sun or not, this canvas doesn't need any help to shine !!!!!! Utterly fabulous make Alison, and you know that I love these colours haha!.. ;) Thank you for sharing all your tips with us, I'm going to print or store it for later use... I have surely something good to learn :) Hugs, Coco x

May said...

WOW...AmAzing work Alison, Love the texture & Fabulous Vibrant colours...Love all the embellishments... Hugs May x x x

Karen McAlpine said...

Love how the gesso looks on the embellishments!! Great project!!

Sandy said...

Alison this is wonderful and it is so not like you! Or at least that is what I thought. I dearly love this kind of stuff. I call it art, I don't care what others call it. You have got my juices going and it is all for naught. I have been good for two weeks and it is getting harder harder to stay in this chair. I have an inoperable fracture of my right hip and I have to stay off my right leg so it will heal. And now I see your fantastic creation and I want to go down to my craft room so bad I could spit. No stairs for me. Now I have to go back and read your post- darn I want to do this!!
sandy

cathylynn said...

Alison your canvas is totally awesome! Your colors scream summer and the textures are fabulous. I've never done a canvas but you sure are inspiring me to do so! Another phenomenal art piece!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Anonymous said...

Beautiful canvas Alison ! Love the colours and the texture and the embellishments look amazing ! Sue C x

Iris said...

Lovely

Elly said...

I remember the same problem about the right light to take pictures from my last chunky atc. I took nearly 50 pictures and used finally 5 at the end (;o)I guess, i can imagine the sparkle on your canvas. Love your make of a Finabair - style.(:o)

pearshapedcrafting said...

So perfect for what has been a grey day! I suppose we have to have some! I love the way this came together and the quote is brilliant both in appearance and choice! Chrisx

Neet said...

As always a fabulous inspirational canvas Alison. Love those summer colours which I have been using myself funnily enough. Now that the sunshine has disappeared again I wanted to bring some of my own into my life and it looks as if it was the same for you.
You have a wonderful way with photographs and wording that tells us fully how you create - you really are inspirational.
Thanks for being you.
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

A stunning work of art Alison! I adore those hot colours!
Alison xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Scrumptious canvas, Alison! Love all that rich texture and dimension.

sara j said...

OMG Alison - this is stupendous...so beautiful and lush and colorful and layered and textured and just everything I love about mixed media. I too am a fan of Finnabairs and I love her papers and embellishments. I've tried once and wasn't nearly as successful as you have been here, but you are inspiring me to try again. Another reason to get excited for the weekend!! This is just wonderful. I've run out of words. I will however say thank you for describing the process you used a little more fully than most. I think it will be quite helpful to me. Enjoy!!

Jenny Marples said...

Love your take on a summer Finnabair canvas. Who needs sunshine when they've got this! Hugs, Jenny x

Inkypinkycraft said...

Wouldn't let me comment the other day! Gorgeous sun shiny colours and wonderful make! Great textures here ...another great make hugstracevx

Ana K. said...

Hi Alison, I always love your colourful pieces….fantastic canvas... all I can say is wow!
For past month I didn’t comment your beautiful work, but today I manage to take a look back and I love every single piece! Have a nice weekend!

hazel said...

This is amazing, the colours and textures are fabulous.
xxx Hazel.

Bonnie Irvine said...

This is amazing. I was fortunate to take a class with Anna a few weeks ago. I can see her influence but I love that you have put your own unique and beautiful spin on what she does, making it completely your own. The layers are fabulous, the texture so gorgeous ranging from so subtle to "notice-me strong". This project makes me so happy that I think I'll stay a while and just appreciate.

Nan G said...

Oh my word! Hello butterfly! Love when you take a stroll just to play with color!

Sophie said...

Meine Güte, wie zauberhaft, wie wunderschön.
Ich bin richtig platt, mir fehlen die Worte :-)

Liebe Grüße

Martina said...

Dear Alison, you have created a stunning piece of art. The texture is amazing! I love all details.
Have a lovely weekend.
Hugs MARTINA

Kelly said...

Wow, very warm and bright! I love the style and the layers. I have all that metal and haven't had a chance to do a canvas like this yet. I love your style here!!!
Hugs Kelly

Anna-Karin said...

Absolutely gorgeous canvas Alison! Love the colours and of course all the wonderful textures and metal embellishments. Thank you for sharing some sunshine with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Diana said...

i am coming here to view your beautiful piece of sunshine from Simon Says Stamp!!!! i love love love your artwork!

Margaret said...

Alison, this is another canvas that I find myself wishing that I could see and touch it in person! All of the texture from the paste and flowers is calling me!
I love the bright bold colors and all of the wonderful layers. The flowers are absolutely fabulous!!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow Alison I truly love this, definitely one of my favourites. The so love the colours, this year these seem to be the colours I go for most. I can't wait to start my autumn projects, then I can add plums as well. Absolutely amazing gorgeous canvas and the words are perfect. Hugs kezzy :-) xxx