I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 7 December 2012

My heart has wings


Hello all, I'm back with another eclectic Paperie Design Team piece - showing some of the lovely things you can source at the eclectic Paperie store.  

After the previous mammoth post (though you did seem to really like the project - thank you for all your amazing comments!), I'm offering up a distinctly shorter one today!!

This is a smaller, simpler project too - about as small as they get: 2.5 by 3.5 inches... yup, it's the ATC (haven't tried out the MOO yet... watch this space!).  

And this ATC was inspired partly by the lovely eclectic Paperie goodies I was so thrilled to get to play with, and partly by the Wing It challenge over at Wicked Wednesday.







I'd been coveting the lovely Ranger sticky-back canvas for a long time, so it was wonderful to get to experiment with the ATC sized version.  

I started by sticking it to some thick cardboard to give the ATC a more substantial feel (so easy when all you have to do is peel and stick), and then I stamped the little TH frames, and blended on some Vintage Photo DI.  

I love the textured effect you get from stamping onto canvas, and how blending on the ink highlights the texture even further.

A spritz or two of Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls Mist gives the background a subtle touch of sparkle.






The beautiful Layered Angel Wings die from Tim Holtz was the next step in the creation.  There's actually a third, larger layer too, but for the ATC size it was a little overwhelming, so I stuck to just two.

They're cut out of Tim Holtz Grungeboard which will stand up to all sorts of painting and inking, and pretty much anything else you want to throw at it.  (I actually cut up a page from a Grungeboard album, rather than a sheet.)  

The wings got a coat of pale acrylic paint; I stamped them with a TH script stamp, using Coffee Archival ink, and then used Vintage Photo Distress Ink to edge and ink them. 






The heart is my very first play with a Wendy Vecchi element... I know, I'm late to the party, but I really love this little heart.  

It had a coat of the paint too, then some gentle highlighting with Vintage Photo DI, and finally a spritz of the Heirloom Gold Mist.  

I love how the mica gleam has settled into the texture of the heart, highlighting the carved look it has, as well as adding that lovely golden lustre.








So that's my ATC for today... I hope it's given you some ideas for playing with some of these lovely products.  If you're tempted enough, you can click straight through from the links below to have a closer look at them.  For now, I'll wish you a wonderful weekend - crafty or otherwise - and look forward to seeing you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland!

I'm entering this in the following:
Wing It over at the Wicked Wednesday ATC Challenge Blog
ATCs with Attitude, who are playing Anything Goes

Keep your feet on the ground, but let your heart soar as high as it will.
Arthur Helps

There is no distance too far between friends, for friendship gives wings to the heart.
Kathy Kay Benudiz




44 comments:

sam21ski said...

Fabulous atc, great vintage feel to it.

Love those hearts, never even knew they existed until now - thanks

Sam xxx

Carol Q said...

wonderful shape to your wings Alison.

mark gould said...

Oh wow, So beautiful, I have a real soft spot for wings, I have them tattoo'd on my back, this is stunning.

The stampotique designers challenge blog are having a wings challenge as well, it is for people who may like to be a guest designer for them. xx

May said...

Stunning Alison... I adore the vintage feel! Those wings are amazing... Hugs May x x x

Anonymous said...

Soft muted colours evoking a beautiful romance (vintage of course!). Adore the heart.
Wishes
Lynne

catherine said...

Fantastic Alison and such an effective piece. Love the heart and wings
x catherine

Julia S-W said...

Gorgeous little heart with just the correct amount of gleam! A wonderful little make Alison. I really like the canvas and I have to stop my self from using it too much - it's addictive! I'm playing catch up - sorry I'm late again!
Enjoy your weekend.
Juliaxx

Jenny Marples said...

Love the canvas - it's definitely on the list to do now, and the heart is perfect. Hugs, Jenny x

Redanne said...

Oooh Alison, I love this, right up my street. I have used the canvas before and like you, love how it takes paint and ink. Also have the wings die but not used it yet - I will now after seeing this ATC. It is gorgeous, just love it! Hugs, Anne x

Paper Profusion said...

Hi Alison, this is a beauty. Santa is bringing me a 'Big Shot' (LOL). Will def get the wings die. (A friend has bought me the cargo case that I first saw on your desk so am getting that as a pressie too!). The canvas looks wonderful. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

Netty said...

Loving the antique feel of your beautiful ATC, also love those fab die cut wings. Enjoy the weekend, xx

Shelby said...

Love the canvas you've used and those wings are gorgeous. Great ATC.

Shelby

Sarah said...

Aren't ATCs fun!! I like to make these when I am trying out a new technique. If you make a mess, you are not out so much product. And their original purpose of trade is enjoyable, too.
Love your neutral palette and the wonderful textures.

Kim said...

Love, love, love this Alison! What a delightful little treat...now you've inspired me to create my own ATC!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...Alison you never fail to delight the senses, I adore this piece, the colours and textures are right up my street and that textured heart is heavenly with it's distress and shimmer, loving those layered wings too, awesome work that has made my heart smile...Melxx :)

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison, wow it has everything I love ..a heart...wings and browns...all of yummy textured canvas..what can I say..love it! Trace x

Rosie said...

Wow, this is soooo lovely, Alison.

Have a nice weekend

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Love the canvas background ...it fits so well with the heart and the gorgeous wings Alison! Great look..

have a nice weekend, Alie :-)

Annie said...

So beautiful Alison. Love the wings......must add die to my wish list.

TFS

Hugs Annie x

craftytrog said...

Simply stunning!!! x

Nan G said...

Wonderful! Perfect timing for this post. For personal reasons this piece really speaks to me....thank you!

House of Bears said...

Oh, we are amazed at your stunning creations, and this is one of our most favourites. We love brown, and vintage, and TH, and we have covetted that wings die since we saw it advertised, lovely.

maj. said...

What a great heart, great work!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinning!!! Excellent work!

Lisa Minckler said...

Well, no worries, I haven't come close to joining the party, so you're not the last one. :) Alison, this is heart warming ATC and those are the most mesmerizing wings and the mica is an eye grabber.
Thanks for clearing up the TTT thing...LOL..I am losing it. :)
hugs,
Lisa xx

Jenn Borjeson said...

Wow - this is just stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Wicked Wednesday. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

3rd attempt to comment!??? Love those wings and this is a beautiful atc. Chrisx

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Alison. I can see a new die being added to my list of wants!
Hugs
xx

Bonnie Irvine said...

This atc is gorgeous! Love the canvas background and the stamping. The wings are fabulous and that heart is amazing. Love it!

Anne-Elise said...

Gorgeous, Alison!! Love these wings! I also ordered this die a few days ago!! How fun to see that you also have it! Love your beautiful heart too! Fab work! Hugs

craftimamma said...

Wonderful ATC Alison. Those wings are gorgeous and you can't beat the pale blue and brown for a shabby chic look. Really like this!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Anonymous said...

Alison this is a real treasure! I love this so much... I have some of that Canvas and have been to scared to use it in case I waste it making a mess! but I might brave it and try a little after seeing this but then again ekkkkkk! yours is so awesome Mine wont be anywhere near yours! hugs me xx

Sophie said...

Was für eine herrliche Idee und traumhafte Umsetzung eines Gedankens.
Bravo!

Liebe Grüße und einen schönen
2. Advent

Sharon said...

Beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Wicked Wednesday this week!

Janny Jager said...

Stunnig Alison.
love it

Greetings Janny

Ana K. said...

Absolutely stunning Alison....everything fit together just perfect and totally in your style!

Denice said...

I now feel the need to buy some canvas and stamp on it!
Such a wonderful ATC, love all of the little details.
Thanks for playing along with us this week at Wicked Wednesday.
:Dxx

chrissie said...

Terrific ATC and the 'words and pictures' match so well on it.

Love Chrissie xx

Joanne said...

Well you certainly made my heart flutter with this wonderful ATC made with my most fave elements. thanks for sharing it over at ATCs/Cards with Attitude.

Marjie Kemper said...

What a gorgeous 3D ATC! Had thought I could resist the wings die but you've proven me wrong. Love this!

Bärbel said...

Eine wunderbare Idee mit dem Herz im Mittelpunkt, das ist wirklich toll, Alison.

Kate Yetter said...

I love those wings!!!! Beautiful!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A beautiful ATC, great use of the wing die. It's new in my stash, my I haven't it used until today.

Margaret said...

Alison, this is fabulous! The shimmer does a wonderful job of showing off all of the fantastic texture on your ATC! LOVE the canvas base! I just ordered some and can't wait to have a play with it!