I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 30 December 2012

New Year Manifesto

Hello all, I'm so glad you've found the time to drop in today.  I'm sharing my New Year Manifesto... no, not resolutions, as I'm generally useless at keeping them, and they're so often couched in the negative - 'stop doing this', 'give up that'.  So my manifesto is based on positivity, with an aim to ensure that each day includes some of each of the bullet points.  But bullet points are no fun, so mine are bunting points!


This garland also forms one of my Design Team projects for eclectic Paperie, making the most of some of the lovely things on offer at the eclectic Paperie store.  It was really easy to make, and such fun too.  You can find the links to most of what I've used at the foot of the post.

Exciting news... early in the New Year, we'll be starting a couple of monthly challenges over at eP, with great prizes.  There's an Altered Art challenge which will kick off next week, and then each month there'll also be a challenge set by a member of the DT - the first one is hosted by the amazing Marjie Kemper, so you won't want to miss that.  If you join up over at the eP blog, you'll be sure not to miss anything.


But back to the bunting...  The flags are created using some of the lovely alterable coasters eP stocks, which came in my goodie box from them.

They're probably not something I'd necessarily have thought of getting myself, but I'm so glad they turned up.  I'd been enjoying Carol Fox's beermat creations, now finally all garlanded together, so I thought I'd have a go at something along those lines with these coasters.







The papers are the Fair Skies collection by the Farmhouse Paper Company - I love the colour combinations.

I've used four different papers and mixed them together in various ways.










So the balloons which are the base for the dream flag also put in an appearance as the large heart (trimmed a little) on the love flag.

The rest of the hearts were created using a small punch from my stash.  I backed some of the paper onto thicker card, before punching, to give them a bit more sturdiness.





After sticking the paper to the coasters using the Inkssentials collage glue stick (it really does work better than most glue sticks I've tried), I sanded the edges, and then brushed light coloured acrylic paint around them too, mixed to match the the pale colours within the papers, for extra shabby chic effect.



All the cut and punched paper elements have also had a little shabby paint added to their edges.

As well as helping the shabby chic look, it gives some texture and movement to the piece.










The bunting flags on the play flag were easy to make.  All I had to do was simply cut them out from the paper left over from the background on the laugh flag.













The lettering is the fabulous Idea-ology Alphaparts Newsprint set, which I love using.  This time I've given it a couple of coats of acrylic paint, the same mixture as was used for all the edging.












Since the words were getting a little lost against the busier backgrounds, I used some of the gingham papers to back them onto, so that they would stand out more clearly on those two flags.










There are added embellishments from my stash: some mulberry paper roses...










... the wooden ornament behind the dream heart...








 ... the little buttons ...









... and then I used some off-white paper ribbon, also from my supplies, to tie the linking bows, and as the string to attach the garland at the ends.  It's lovely stuff, as once you've threaded it through, you can spread it out to get a great dimensional bow.





I'm very pleased with the end result and - although it will mean some red infiltrating my otherwise bluesy room - I will enjoy having it on the noticeboard to remind me to keep having fun through the (inevitably) stressful time ahead as we sort through 40 years of clutter and prepare to move out of the family home.   It will be important to remember it's not just an ending, but also the beginning of a whole new set of adventures... and what better time for that than the beginning of a brand new year?!


I suspect this will probably be my last post before tomorrow, so I'd like to wish all of you out there in Craftyblogland a very happy, healthy, prosperous and peaceful 2013.  Thank you so much for your support on this journey so far, and I can't wait to see what the New Year brings for us all...

Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve.  Middle age is when you're forced to.
Bill Vaughn

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
T.S. Eliot, from "Little Gidding"

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.
Hal Borland

Find all these at eclectic Paperie; just click on the item to go straight there... and don't forget the great challenges starting soon at eP - it would be great to have you play along!



I'm entering this in the following:
Simon Says Stamp are playing Anything Goes this week
Live and Love Crafts would like to see Anything But A Card
Anything But a Card are playing Anything Goes (or your favourite piece from last year)
At Pile It On, they are still looking for us to Pile on the Embellishments


50 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm loving your project, Alison, and the very positive thoughts behind it. Moving after 40 years sure is a huge undertaking... wishing you peace as you sort through it all and move toward your new beginning. Thanks for the shout-out, too... much appreciated! And a very Happy New Year to you and yours.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fabulous bunting, wonderful wishes for the year 2013.

Jenny Marples said...

A colourful garland to usher in a new year with a springtime feel. Love the ideas for each one and what a clever idea for coasters. May 2013 be the best year yet for you. Love to all the family and good luck with everything. Hugs, Jenny x

Anonymous said...

Alison,
What a beautiful blue sky!
Anyway to your manifesto which is not only such a fabulous idea but it is so pretty and the idea of displaying it all year as a reminder to do all of those, that is very neat indeed.
Here's to 2013 being a year of health and happiness and I have no doubt that on a creative level it will see you fulfil creative dreams, more DTs to your list and your blog positively soar. This is a special place to visit.
Thank You for your support and encouragement Alison, it has meant a great deal to me.
Wishes
Lynne

Lin said...

Alison, what a great way to look at the New Year "resolutions"! These are just darling, they remind me of little quilts, and I adore the gingham on them! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge - Happy New Year!

Kjersti said...

What a lovely idea Alison, you are right - better focus on the positive, easyer to accieve goals then:) Think I borrow your idea for "home use"! Hope you had a great Christmas(es), both 24th and 25th, lucky girl - lol!
Wish you all the best for 2013, and I look forward to see more of your fab creations!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Twiglet said...

Fab New Year bunting - great goals. I am a bit late visiting desks due to festive fun! Happy New Year. x Jo

Elizabeth said...

Hi Alison, I really enjoyed reading through your posts since WOYWW - it's one of the bonuses of being really late :) So what with your favourite tree ornaments, your fabulous sleeping cat piece, your lovely quotations, including the poem from one of my all-time favourite poets, Robert Frost, and your gorgeous resolution bunting it's been a real treat. I wish you and yours a happy, healthy and prosperous year! Elizabeth x #30

froebelsternchen said...

This is great! I love the idea and how you made it ...fabulous!
Happy New Year Alison!

Kim said...

Lovely Alison! I love the colors and all of the embellishments. And great ideas on those new year's resolutions...XXOO

Janny Jager said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW Alison what a beautiful project
So much to see .
I love it.
Wish you a Happy , Healthy and Creative 2013.

Greetings Janny

Redanne said...

Really like the idea of the drink mat bunting and also the very positive sentiments for 2013. They also look lovely hanging in your garden! We are de-cluttering too, not to move, but to renovate, it isn't easy but it will be worth it in th end! Wishing you all the very best for 2013, with the move and with your DTs. Hugs, Anne x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful Alison, love the dimensional lettering Nd the bunting as a backdrop for all your decoration . The papers are very striking and I love the hearts and bunting. Tracy x

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison, I love the idea of your New Year Manifesto and the themes you have chosen, the basis for a very happy life.
Best wishes to you for a Wonderful and not too stressful 2013.
Avril xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Sorry Alison forgot to say Happy New Year. Tracy x x

Jenn said...

This is such a beautiful banner, I love the pretty details and papers! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment! Have a wonderful 2013!!
Jenn

Debi said...

glorious! Debi x

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Sooooo Much prettier and much more interesting than bullet points. Love your banner and I hope in between the moving and other things that you do get to dream BIG! Happy New Year and thank you for joining in at Anything But A Card Challenge.

Claudia N. said...

Great manifesto, Alison! Hear, hear! :)

I wish you all the very best for 2013 and I am looking forward to share many more wonderful creative and inspiring moments with you in blogland! So glad, we stumbled upon each other!

Wishes and a big hug,

(hope you are much, much better already!)

Claudia xx

Astrid Maclean said...

A fun project Alison and I love the positive message of it! Looks great hanging up! I wish you much love, laughter, playtime and beautiful dreams too. All the very best for 2013!!

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully created Alison and such a fabulous idea, the words of your manifesto are perfect. Love the soft colours and shabby effects.
Wishing you and your family a very happy new year and everything you would wish for yourselves.
hugs {brenda} xox

Anonymous said...

i love the country feel of this, very pretty
hugs julie P

Hettie said...

Fantastic bunting there and I am in good company by deciding not to make any resolutions.
I may just have to use your idea as Hubby and I have decided to Work Rest and Play this year!!
Good luck in the move and Happy New Year. Thanks for all your visits and words of encouragement through the year!
Hugs
xx
PS How did you arrange a blue thing to photograph your project? I remember when we used to get those...err....sky I think it used to be called??
xx

Annette Green said...

Super cute banner. I love all the details. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Oh how fabulous!!! Love this banner, so beautiful!!
Happy New Year, friend!!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Hi, Alison, this is such a awesome project! Love all the cute embllishments. Hope you have a wonderful new year. Love & hugs.... :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is wonderful, Alison! Gingham is my all time favorite pattern and I love how uplifting your project theme is. Gorgeous bunting. Wishing you all the best in 2013.

Nan G said...

Wonderful bunting! Here's to creativity and inspiration in the coming new year. Happy New Year!

Margaret said...

I really enjoyed reading your post as we share feelings on new years resolutions! Your daily reminder is such a pretty way to keep things in focus and I LOVE the triangle paper! It is perfect for banners!!

Hope you have a wonderful 2013 and thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!

craftytrog said...

Happy New Year Alison! Your bunting looks lovely, such a brilliant idea!
Alison xx

House of Bears said...

We love this, it's so bright and cheery and positive, just right to start the New Year.

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Fantastic New Year Manifesto! You should run in the next elections, with this statement you're bound to change the world! :) I love your bunting and it's such a great idea to 'frame' such wise words. You have just inspired me for a big project for January - thank you so much! :) Happy New Year my friend! xx

Paper Profusion said...

Love your shabby chic bunting Alison - wise manifesto! I like your choice of papers too - perfect patterns/colours for 'the look'. Wishing you a wonderful 2013 filled with all that you wish for. Nicola x

Anonymous said...

That´s a wonderful project!
Ich wünsche dir einen guten und gesunden Rutsch and a happy new year!

LG siljan

catherine said...

This bunting is just fantastic Alison and I hope you do have a little of everything each day - you deserve it. Have a great evening tonight whatever you are doing and all the best
x catherine

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So digging your manifesto! What a great idea as well, up to see so you will always be reminded! So happy you are in blogland! Happy New Year!

Karen McAlpine said...

I'm with you!! Happy New Year!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Fabulous project!

Wish you too a happy healthy and creative New Year!May all your wishes come true.
Hugs Anja

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Beautiful bunting! I love all the extra special touches, but especially the shabby chic treatment 'round all the edges. And yes! this is what "new year's resolutions" should be about--overall greatness and not a focus on the negative. You have it spot on. Wishing you all the best in the new year!

Keren Tamir said...

wow fantastic banner!! love it!

Elizabeth said...

Beatuiful cretaion! Love your manifesto too! Thanks for sharing with us at the LLC challenge! Wishing you a creative new year! Hugs, Elizabeth

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison,
I can imagine what 40 years of collecting all kind of "life" around you, will take some (many) hours to sort out and choose between, (it will in some years be my tour,too ) and I wish you happy hours doing it.
Your wonderful bunting, will help you on the right way. Hugs ,Dorthe

Kezzy said...

Wow stunning bunting, I really really love it, and what a fantastic idea, being positive, love it. Happy New Year :-) Hugs Kerry xxx

Alica said...

very cool project! Lovely papers and design too!
Thanks for joining us at Anything But A Card!

Hugs, Alica ;)

Bärbel said...

Ein ganz großartiges Projekt und wunderschön anzusehen, Alison.

Bonnie Irvine said...

What a sweet and positive reminder! I love bunting points...great idea. These coasters are so playful and whimsical with a lovely vintage feel to them. Very cool.

Keren Tamir said...

Hi Alison feel free to sign up for my giveaway even without FB account.

Christy said...

What a super duper adorable banner. I just looove all of the gingham! :) Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card this challenge!!!!

Julia S-W said...

Firstly, I'm back and I'd like to wish you Happy New Year! Secondly, I'd like to apologise for being a little late with my comment!
I was so surprised to see your wonderful bunting Alison. Not because I don't like it but because it's a move from your usual 'style'! This is really pretty and so shabby chic in design - love it!! This is good for people like me who rarely use papers - this inspires me to get some and have a play. Perhaps my resolution should be to use more papers!! I love what you said about making 'negative' resolutions too!
Thanks for linking up with Anything But A Card this time too.
Juliaxx

K Clark said...

lovely banner thanks for joining us at Pile it on - hope to see you this week for our new challenge black/White +one :) Kimberly