I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Do Re Mi Fa...


So... or should that be sew?  Well, in fact, strictly it should be "sol" but let's not get bogged down in technicalities...  Hello all, and welcome - with an especially big welcome to the new followers, who are probably now wondering what on earth they've let themselves in for.

I'm sharing a tag today, a design piece using some more of the lovely goodies from eclectic Paperie.  As usual, you'll find all the links to what I've used at the foot of the post.  There's also a sneak peek down there for you!

So (again) here's my little tribute to the extraordinary Julie Andrews, inspired by the fabulous sewing-themed Wendy Vecchi stamps Art by Hand.  (If you're anything like me, you're now humming the song to yourself, so if you need a soundtrack for this post, it's here!  Or you could take a detour to this fabulous dancing flash mob in a Belgian station...)

I'll be doing a more detailed tutorial for this over at the eclectic Paperie blog at the end of this month, but just wanted to share a few pictures with you today.











I used the Farmhouse Paper Company collection, Fair Skies, for my background, with washes of paint and some sanding to create a shabby chic look, and then used some of the stamps to create more texture.









I stamped the scissors and thimble separately and glossed them up with Pewter Distress Stain and some clear embossing powder for a metallic look.  I added a little spool from my stash and wrapped some red thread around it, which I also gave a slight wash of paint too, to soften the colour.











The lettering is some more of my favourite Alpha Parts - this time the Ransom set.  Kim has been selling these off at eP - if you're very quick you might just get some at a bargain price!  They come in a black plastic finish, and I really enjoy altering them.





This time, they've had a coat or two of ivory acrylic paint, and then I blended some Chipped Sapphire DI onto the top surfaces.  For some reason it didn't want to play ball with the paint surface, so you get a lovely pale version of Chipped Sapphire!

I finished it off with some paper ribbon from my stash, and that will bring us back to Do...







I'm also sharing a new project over at Artistic Outpost today - here's a quick sneak peek, as promised - it would be lovely if you had a moment to pop over there and check it out (though it will also appear here in full in due course).

But for now, thank you so much for stopping by.  Have a happy Tuesday, and see you soon!

A gentle heart is tied with an easy thread.
George Herbert

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.
Lao-Tzu


Just click on the image to check out the product:



36 comments:

Mandy's Crafts said...

Love this tag.

Brenda Brown said...

A beautiful tag Alison. The little shiny metallic thimble and scissors are so realistic and everything sits perfectly on that fabulous shabby background. Love this and it's my most favourite theme too.
Hugs Brenda xox

Kjersti said...

A gorgeous tag Alison, beautiful decorated - love the shiny look at the scissor and thimble!
Have a nice week!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, even though I'm singing the song...thanks for that..lol..love the beautiful soft hues and the lettering is wonderful..and oh!so cute is that spool..

Luv CHRISSYxx

chrissie said...

Great tag. Love the way you used the papers for the background and your Alpha shapes are amazing

Best wishes Chrissie xx

Laurart said...

Amazing! I wish I could achieve that pale wash of paint when making things - I don't ever seem to be able to get it right. It makes it look so delicate and vintage. I love it xxxxx

Deborah said...

Love the gingham on this (yee hah!) Alison - a fab tag.

brenda said...

As always a wonderfully inspirational piece Alison.

B x

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, that flash mob has really set me up for the day! Love your gorgeous tag, beautiful soft colours and so vintage feeling, reminds me of the late 50's and 60's when my Mum did lots of sewing... off to see your other piece now. Hugs, Anne x

Lisa Minckler said...

Wonderfully soothing blend of colors here and the alpha parts are the BEST! This is so, sew, sol gorgeous! ;)

Claudia N. said...

Lovely tag, Alison! Will have to come back later to have closer look :)

Hugs,
Claudia x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful tag! Love that vintage sewing set and what you've done with the scissors and thimble! The pale letters are perfect too! Singing as I type!! Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

Great sewing tag, love the stamped embellishments and the bright spark of the little reel. Background is beautiful too!

Inkypinkycraft said...

Another great make trace x

craftytrog said...

Simply wonderful!!! xx

Kezzy said...

Wow stunning the papers are gorgeous. I never thought of painting my letters I paint everything else lol. Might use them more now! Can't wait for the tutorial. Hugs kerry xxx

sam21ski said...

WOW Alison, the size of that tag is humongous!!! Which is good, as you get to show all those lush goodies on it - fantastic

Sam xx

Carol Q said...

gorgeous tag Alison love the colours and your choice of words.

Netty said...

Terrific tag Alison, am loving the design and the various layers. xx

Paper Profusion said...

Really like the shabby look Alison. Scissors & thimble look wonderful and the little spool just perfect. Nicola x

Annie said...

Fab tag Alison : )love the background and all your other elements/layers.

TFS

Annie x

Bärbel said...

Ein sehr schönes Tag mit wunderbaren Papieren. Die Nähutensilien, darunter die kleine Garnrolle, sind echte Blickfänge!

May said...

Yes am singing... Beautiful tag Alison.. Love the background & layers.. Hugs May x x x

craftimamma said...

This is a wonderful tag Alison. Lots of interest and that teeny spool is sweet, lol! I love how you've shabbied up the papers and the Alpha Parts look great.

I shall have to go and find some other music to listen to now otherwise I shall go to bed singing that song and it will be well and truly fixed in my head by morning, lol!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Anonymous said...

Those papers and the stamps are a happy marriage.
You could imagine those sewing tools belonging to a woman in the American Prairies as she sits at a table with a gingham tablecloth wearing her gingham apron - sorry, I got carried away there for a moment but it is all your fault for conjuring up such imagery!
Wishes
Lynne

Jenny Marples said...

Fabulous tag Alison. Love the way you have 'shabbied' the backing papers as they provide the perfect platform for your fabulous sewing elements and little letters (that remind me of sweets!) Hugs, Jenny x

House of Bears said...

Oh my, this is just wonderful, it's a project that we want to touch as it looks so tactile, especially with the subject matter being all about fabric. The colours are so cheery without being too bright, and the paler chipped sapphire, altho not intentional, works so well on this project, it was obviously meant to be.

Now, we're off for a little sing song, doh, a deer......

Bonnie Irvine said...

This tag makes me smile. It reminds me of my grandmother who was an incredible seamstress, as was my mom. Love the papers and the metallic shine on the scissors and thimble. Lovely!

Keren Tamir said...

Wow love this Alison!! Fabulous

Shelby said...

Cool color palette you've used on this tag.. Love all of the different sewing emblems you've used...perfection

Shelby

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful tag in great soft colors. Love the shiny look of the scissor and the thimble.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So clever is that title!!! I love it! I had to sing that song in a play as a kid. Love love love the whole design!

Margaret said...

This is so pretty! I love the word play, the background, and the fabulous spool! Such a wonderful tag!
Now I'm off to get this song out of my head...So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love love LOVE your combination of patterned papers and stamping... it's fabulous! So glad to get over here for awhile this afternoon and catch up. You've been busy and I didn't want to miss a thing. Lovely work!

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful tag Alison, love the shabby/chic, and one of my favourite themes.
Avril xx

Sandy said...

I don't think there is any end to your creativity!!
sandy