I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 26 May 2013

Tools of the Trade



Hello everyone, and a happy Sunday to you.  

So, after my altered keepsakes box, we're back in tag territory... and another chance to play with some delicious eclectic Paperie goodies - so you'll find links to all the ingredients at the foot of the post.

I loved playing with the stamps from Tim Holtz's fabulous new Artful Tools set when I created my craft table storage jars, so I got them out again for this tag.  

As well as the paintbrushes and geometry tools, I used the wooden rulers this time too...

And I have to say, I completely failed to nail down a favourite ink pad for Simon Says Stamp and Show - too many favourites - but there is one that seems to put in an appearance pretty dashed frequently, and that's the wonderful Coffee Archival.  

Since I work so often in a blue/brown palette, or in vintage tones, I find it a delicious alternative to bold black - so it's definitely one of the main "tools of the trade" for me - and it's come to the fore again in this project.








I started with an inky background for the tag - wrinkle-free distress technique with Distress Stains in Broken China (big love), Frayed Burlap (currently much in favour), Pumice Stone (greatly adored... you see what I mean with this favourite colour thing?!).  

I did some ink blending with the same colours in Distress Inks, and added some chicken wire stencilling - both full (Pumice Stone and Frayed Burlap) and reversed (in Peacock Feathers) - for extra texture.










Next it was out with the Picket Fence Distress Paint to add some stamping of the rulers... love this effect over the inks, and the clarity of image you can get stamping with the DPs.











Next up, it's the Coffee Archival - and I decided to stick to the very upright straight lines and right angles dictated by the rulers, so the paintbrushes went straight up one side...












... and the tools straight along the foot of the tag.

Love that the paint gives a slight resist, so you get the white holding its own within the images.





Coffee Archival takes centre stage on the ARTIST too... this time stamped straight onto white cardstock.

















Then I cut it with the Stacked Artful Words decorative strip die, and gave it a coat of clear embossing powder for glossy strength.







The word ARTIST needed to go vertically (to match the ruler markings), so I needed some horizontality to balance it - so one of the Idea-ology Word Bands got pressed into action.  

Definitely a thing in there about whether I feel right applying that particular vertical word to myself yet - or maybe there's some more creating still to be done.







As regulars will know, the tag toppings are something I take great delight in.  

I used the Distress Stains again to dye some crinkle ribbon, and it was a particular delight to me that two colours from Tim Holtz's Paper String were exactly the right colour to tone in with the tag.

And after all those straight lines, I just had to go a little bit curly-wurly-twirly with them!





So there are my Tools of the Trade... 

It still feels to me, in many ways, like a very new trade - even though, at the same time, I can hardly remember life pre-crafting!  There's always so much more to learn, to discover, to experiment with - it's brilliant...  

Thank you so much to all of you for being part of this adventure in (re-)creating myself.  I'm so happy to have you along for the ride - it means the world.  

Happy Crafting!





I've just found this quote which seems unbelievably appropriate as a bridge between my creative worlds, so it has to go on this post...

If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.
Émile Zola

I'd like to enter this in Simon Says Stamp and Show's challenge to use your Favourite Ink - Coffee Archival - though I hereby respectfully refuse to be held to that as life and times and tastes change!!
At the Inspiration Journal the theme is Don't Quote Me...  I'd been saving this WordBand as it shares a thought I completely believe in - and now seemed the right time to take the plunge.

Click below to go shopping!



54 comments:

barbarayaya62 said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a fantastic work! Love word and colors , all in your tag! Wonderful !!!!!Barbarayaya

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a great tag from an ARTIST to an ARTIST, Ilove it , beautiful background wonderful colours!!!Great design!!

Greetings
Maria

Astrid Maclean said...

Great tag, specially love the way you have done the artist lettering and a wonderful background of course!

May said...

Fabulous tag Alison, the background is amazing as always... Love what your done with the word Artist, the colours are Beautiful... Hugs May x x x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

YUP...it's too hard to pick a favorite ink, but Coffee Archival and Broken China are top notch! Love love love love love your design here! The ARTIST is fabulous! Amazing tag! Thank you for getting inky with us this week here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

chrissie said...

Beautiful tag with the perfect message for 'we who create'

The quote today is wonderful and, hopefully, what I am doing :)

Have a great day

Love Chrissie x

craftytrog said...

Fantastic inky painty layers! x

Helen said...

Gorgeous again, Alison!!

froebelsternchen said...

AMAZING soft - a wonderful Tag Alison!

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful tag Alison! Love the layers of patterns and shades of blue. Just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Gorgeous tag and and the title is perfect for it - tools of the trade :). Loved the quote you found, too! xx

Netty said...

Great tag Alison, I particularly love the words stamped on a ruler, inspired idea. Enjoy your day, hugs Annette x

Francesca said...

Hi Alison, beautiful tag. Happy sunday to you too.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous! I love the background and yes those colours together are just yummy. Enjoy your weekend x

Dianne said...

Oh my how kool are those letters out of the ruler brilliant idea,I love the too stamped and look how different it looks here amazing.of course love the colors the background is gorgeous.I love your tags... Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful creative day...

ria gall said...

Hi Alison
what an amazing tag, you have used the stamps getting the best from them and making each one stand out on it's own but working together. Your colour combo is a winner such a vintage feel to it. Love the quote you found so appt.
Love it
Ria

Nan G said...

Love the verticality of this tag! You are an 'artist' butterfly.

Lisa Minckler said...

Curly-wurly-twirly....love that! Reading your posts is like a good book I don't want to put down. I love following your journey and lucky for me, there were more posts I hadn't caught yet and the joy just continued.
You're oozing with creativity and inspiration and I thank you for the quality time spent here on your blog!
hugs,
Lisa x

Carol Q said...

Beautiful Alison - love those stamps - they are now on my wish list!

Candy C said...

Alison...this tag is gorgeous! I so love how you've done the lettering for "ARTIST". That rocks! The background for your tag is beautifully done and the artful tools (compasses) you've stamped across it look fabulous! This is a gorgeous tag! Thanks for sharing your always wonderful art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great tag Alison, with such nice details!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Paper Profusion said...

Utterly inkalicious Alison. Have a lovely week to come. Nicola x

Ana K. said...

Hi Alison, again you made gorgeous tag….this background is awesome!!

Redanne said...

Another fabulous tag Alison, I love how you did the word Artist and I think I need some Coffee Archival now, it looks amazing with the blue. Hugs, Anne x

Julia said...

Ah, it is beautiful. I love the images and the colours, very pleasing to the eye. Great stuff!

Dagmar said...

wow wow wow - it´s so fantastic!!!!!

Dorthe said...

Alison, your background is stunning, such beautiful paint/ ink layers, and stamps! And I love the glossy letters,a great tag,dear!
Dorthe,x

Unni A said...

WoW! Wonderful tag! I love the letters and the colors! Very creative!
hugs, Unni

Anonymous said...

Oh my! This is just stunning! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show! - Ashli :)

Ellie Knol said...

LOVELY tag ! Gorgeous details ...

Unknown said...

A gorgeous tag, love the imagery of that stamp set which has been put to good use here. A fab make. Chris xxx

Claudia said...

This is a fantastic work, gorgeous tag.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, colours are beautiful and love the way you've used the word Artist ! Sue C x

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW really an amazing artful tag!

House of Bears said...

You trying to decide on a favourite ink sounds like us trying to decide a favourite book. I'm sure that every challenge book is declared our favourite! We love your tag, ylur attention to detail on your tag tops amazes us, it really finishes off your art. We particularly like your artist word on the tag.

Bärbel said...

Ein großartiges Tag, auf dem die TH-Werkzeuge sehr gut zur Geltung kommen!

catherine said...

This looks great Alison and love what you have done with the stamp set. Great colour
x catherine

Chrissy said...

Fantastic tag Alison, love the lettering all glossed up and gorgeous blues on your tag..great metal sentiment too..fabulous as always.

luv CHRISSYxx

Heather said...

I love your tag Alison, I love how you run us through from the start to the end of your creation. I love the images you've used and your label and lettering are fabulous!!

hugs
Heather xx

Terry said...

I also love using the tools for backgrounds and your background is gorgeous! Too cool with the strip die, which really pops! Love this tag! Enjoy the week! Hugs!

Sue from Oregon said...

Thanks for sharing with us at the Inspiration Emporium May Quote Challenge!

So many amazing details and lovely color scheme!

♥ Sue Kment

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful tag in great color scheme.

Jenny Marples said...

Love the Picket Fence stamping and those fabulous embossed letters. Great tag Alison. Hugs, Jenny x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Lovely tag, those colours are simply lovely together. Great theme and the quote is so right you were meant to find it! Chrisx

Inkypinkycraft said...

A fab make, and yes tough challenge xx

Sue said...

Beautiful, beautiful tag Alison, I love your glossy 'artist' xx

Hettie said...

This is yet another fabulous piece of artwork Alison and I love it!
Hugs
xx

Unknown said...

Your tags are always inspiring! This is so stunning!!

Brenda Brown said...

Gorgeous colours and stamps. They are now on my Must Have list lol.
What day are you going to the Craft Barn?
hugs {brenda} x0x

Marjie Kemper said...

How fabulous! Love the background and the treatment on the big word, Alison. I just got this die myself and can't wait to use it. This is a real beauty!

Kasia said...

Amazing tag! :) Love those 'artist' letters and the stamps are really great :)

Sandy said...

What can I say Alison that hasn't been said before - this is a tag meant just for you because you are indeed a talented artist! And you are right - life is about creating yourself. So much fun!!!
Sandy

Bonnie Irvine said...

Love the background to this tag. The layering and various colours of ink are a delightful combination. Those letters just pop and look positively touchable. Every detail is worth a second, third, fourth....you see where I'm going...look.

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous tag I love the blue with brown stamping, the images are wicked. Hugs Kezzy :-) xxx